C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I just pick up a damaged NEW Corvette Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:55 AM
sautan
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Did I just pick up a damaged NEW Corvette Z06?

Hello. I finally signed the deal and picked up the Z06 today. I went to dealer by taking LYFT and due to time constrain, I left without going through the entire car with dealer. When I got home, I noticed there are parts in the trunk are not installed, missing tow hook and I believe there should be a cover for battery. When the carpet is lay flat on top of the batter, it's very soft and will be pushed in easily. Then I noticed a small blemish on the paint where it connect the bumper and rear fender. So i used my finger and wipe it then the paint came off!!!

I am sure if I go back to dealer, they can install the parts, replace the tow hook and find the battery cover which I have no issue. However, the paint? Do you guys think this is just a simple paint job or possible damage to bumper and they replace and hired bad bodyshop?

I am in California and not sure what I can do now. All i can do is take back and question them but if they deny anything, what can i do. I never asked if car was damaged and repaired or not so I guess they can just say they never promised car was never damaged and there is a reason why they offer huge discount? The BIG DISCOUNT that is enough for me to get new Honda Civic EX?

Opinion and suggestion please.

here are some photos in the trunk.

Car is brand new at dealer with 5 miles showing!
Attached Images          

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-19-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

OMG! Sorry to see that! But, your bad for taking it out the door like that (paint issue). If they want to be asses they could claim it was okay when you left with it and you'd be hard-pressed to prove otherwise under the circumstances.

If what you got is any indication of the "new" facility's output I'm glad mine came from the old! All the best in getting it repaired properly!!!
The following users liked this post:
sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:41 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

You're not missing the cover to the battery; it's the foam piece that has the tow hook declivity it it. AFAIK, no American C7s come with a tow hook, you will have to buy it.

It's a shame about the paint. It appears that someone did a crappy job of touching it up (to try and squeeze it by a new and excited owner?). Usually, the reason this problem shows up is because the panels are too tight. It looks like you were unfortunate enough to get one that just wasn't done correctly. I'd make them fix it properly including all the panels that are misaligned (should be covered under BTB warranty).
The following 4 users liked this post by owc6:
markei (06-25-2018), Rebel Yell (06-19-2018), sautan (06-19-2018), Vetteman Jack (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:43 AM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Let us know name of Dealership and Salesman, Service Manager

so we can Email the hell out of em,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
The following 2 users liked this post by CamarosRus:
ibuildm (06-19-2018), sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

That was a crappy paint correction.. What did they use a yellow highlighter??

The alignment of the panels sure seems like something hit it or ??

Oh and it looks like you got a crooked dealer and really didn't care about "out the door" Ready...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-19-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Merged Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by NASTYC7:
sautan (06-19-2018), Skid Row Joe (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:00 AM
sautan
Advanced

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
Oh and it looks like you got a crooked dealer and really didn't care about "out the door" Ready...
Yeah. They did not even wash the car inside and outside. But i was in the rush to pick up my son so I care less. I wash my own car anyway.

Originally Posted by NASTYC7
That was a crappy paint correction.. What did they use a yellow highlighter??

The alignment of the panels sure seems like something hit it or ??
My friend who owns a body shop told me it has been removed and replaced but just bad paint and installation job! The question is if the dealer will just deny anything!!!

Originally Posted by owc6
You're not missing the cover to the battery; it's the foam piece that has the tow hook declivity it it. AFAIK, no American C7s come with a tow hook, you will have to buy it.

It's a shame about the paint. It appears that someone did a crappy job of touching it up (to try and squeeze it by a new and excited owner?). Usually, the reason this problem shows up is because the panels are too tight. It looks like you were unfortunate enough to get one that just wasn't done correctly. I'd make them fix it properly including all the panels that are misaligned (should be covered under BTB warranty).
Cool. Now I know at least nothing missing. Ease the pain by just a little. It is brand new with 5 miles. I truly trusted the dealership but received damaged car!

Not sure what is BTB and if it works in California.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 06-19-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to multiple people look like this!
Old 06-19-2018, 02:07 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

How many miles were on the car when you picked it up? Anyway, the problem you are seeing is very common and needs to get fixed under warranty. The body parts are interfering with each other and rub against each other thus causing the paint chipping. There are a number of threads on this issue in the Corvette Forum. I just had my Vette fixed and it has been 2 years since I purchased it new. I knew of the issue for over a year but did nothing until recently before my warranty expires. You might want to use the key words paint defects, body panel rubbing, etc to find the threads. The fixes are all over the place from adjusting the body panel brackets to replacing body panels to adding shims. Good luck.
sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:16 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Lesson 1: The *buyer* is responsible for checking the car at delivery time. Not the dealer — the buyer. It is a BIG purchase. If the buyer doesn’t have time — reschedule the pickup. If it isn’t important to the buyer to spend the time to do the inspection, then the little things noticed later shouldn’t matter either.

If it makes you feel better OP, you are not the first this has happened to; others have also come to the forum with the same story: “I didn’t have time/it was night time/I was tired/etc so I just quickly picked up my $70,000 car and left...later I discovered damage... what should I do?”

Last edited by Kent1999; 06-19-2018 at 02:18 AM.
sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:25 AM
ptalar
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Lesson 1: The *buyer* is responsible for checking the car at delivery time. Not the dealer — the buyer. It is a BIG purchase. If the buyer doesn’t have time — reschedule the pickup. If it isn’t important to the buyer to spend the time to do the inspection, then the little things noticed later shouldn’t matter either.

If it makes you feel better OP, you are not the first this has happened to; others have also come to the forum with the same story: “I didn’t have time/it was night time/I was tired/etc so I just quickly picked up my $70,000 car and left...later I discovered damage... what should I do?”
I did not have any issue at delivery on my Vette. The problem occurred after delivery. It took time but after putting miles on the car and the body movement over time the paint chips and mold line mismatch occurred. The Vette he purchased must of had some miles on it when he bought it. The issue appears to be a quality control issue at BG. Not fitting body panels correctly and checking the clearance at body panel interfaces. I did not take action until I saw other threads on this forum in regard to this issue. The dealer took care of it and fixed it correctly for me under warranty. Removing front fascia and adjusting support brackets underneath. The fix will depend on the body panels impacted. I only had the issue at one place after 12000 miles. He seems to have it in one area on his car. Others have had it bad in multiple areas. It got fixed but you have to be persistent. Either way, this would of been picked up on owner inspection at delivery.

Last edited by ptalar; 06-19-2018 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:28 AM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Shady dealer. Bad situation. Raise hell until they make it right.
sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Get that new ZO6, back to Montebello Chev. Pronto!

Do not leave before it's checked in for the paint and body fit problems. Show them the problem areas. They should give you a free loaner car instantly. If they deny, call Chev. 800 number and ask for help after describing the paint/fit issues.

The tow hooks don't come on Corvettes any longer, and the soft area? That's the way my battery cover is - softer.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:49 AM
sautan
Advanced

Originally Posted by ptalar
How many miles were on the car when you picked it up? Anyway, the problem you are seeing is very common and needs to get fixed under warranty. The body parts are interfering with each other and rub against each other thus causing the paint chipping. There are a number of threads on this issue in the Corvette Forum. I just had my Vette fixed and it has been 2 years since I purchased it new. I knew of the issue for over a year but did nothing until recently before my warranty expires. You might want to use the key words paint defects, body panel rubbing, etc to find the threads. The fixes are all over the place from adjusting the body panel brackets to replacing body panels to adding shims. Good luck.
Brand new with 5 miles showing. I am not too sure if it's from rubbing and I can see and bulg of touch up paint or over sprayed paint along the side of the bumper. Will see what dealer will rectify.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:51 AM
sautan
Advanced

well, when you purchased new car, you trust the dealer that all the cars they are selling are BRAND NEW condition. if it's used car, different story! Perhaps I should have inspected the car. Bummer!

Last edited by sautan; 06-19-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Skid Row Joe (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:05 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

That's why when I was brought up, was told never buy a car in the dark.
You want to see the paint, and seams to make sure the car has no issues before leaving the dealership.
I know we are all excited and trust the dealership to have a car prep properly, but sometimes they don't do a good job.
sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:21 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Unfortunately, Kent is correct in all he's said. You, sautan, may not like it but in this day it is still correct. Caveat emptor---let the buyer beware, whether it's a brand new car, or a 20 year old truck.

Originally Posted by sautan
well, when you purchased new car, you trust the dealer that all the cars they are selling are BRAND NEW condition. if it's used car, different story! Perhaps I should have inspected the car. Bummer!
Yes, you should have inspected the car, in the daylight, slowly and thoroughly to the extent that you can--very difficult to crawl UNDER the car and that is NOT expected of you . I've even brought a friend with me so that my "new-car pick up" excitement doesn't allow me to overlook or "not see" things. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

I will say that like ptalar, I've had problems AFTER picking up a brand new car, a Corvette, and to the credit of the dealership they fixed it with no questions. That was a good dealer altho you could not tell they would be that way from their sales dept. which was not as good.

Come back and tell us how it turns out for you, and good luck.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-19-2018 at 08:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
Nflan113 (06-26-2018), sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
I will say that like ptalar, I've had problems AFTER picking up a brand new car, a Corvette, and to the credit of the dealership they fixed it with no questions. That was a good dealer altho you could not tell they would be that way from their sales dept. which was not as good.

Come back and tell us how it turns out for you, and good luck.

I wouldn't go in assuming that the dealership is bad. Just be matter-of-fact: I've notice this paint issue and need it corrected. Odds are pretty good that they'll fix it, and you'll never have to get to option #2 and following.

sautan (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:13 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I wouldn't call it damage. All I see here is panel misalignment which is common.
All of it should be covered under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Did I just pick up a damaged NEW Corvette Z06?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM
robertbruce
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,580 Posts

What year car? Many cars painted in the old paint shop had this problem.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:05 AM
ON RAMP SLAYER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
OMG! Sorry to see that! But, your bad for taking it out the door like that (paint issue). If they want to be asses they could claim it was okay when you left with it and you'd be hard-pressed to prove otherwise under the circumstances.

If what you got is any indication of the "new" facility's output I'm glad mine came from the old! All the best in getting it repaired properly!!!

My 2019 arctic white has these very small yellow dots around the car. Its only really noticeable when I wash the car. I've been debating if I should post a thread and whine lol.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Approach the dealer in a calm, professional manner and ask that the paint be fixed. Warranty should cover it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vetteman Jack:
DAC17 (06-22-2018), sautan (06-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Did I just pick up a damaged NEW Corvette Z06?