Sponsored by:

Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Majorhavok
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Jan-Mar? It's going to be bitter cold next week when I pick my vehicle up next week. Daytime Highs in the 40s and overnight in the 20s. I have driven summer performance tires in cold weather. The tires will lose their grip with even the slightest amount of power applied. Making turns should be done gently and very gradual if you want to stay alive.
I'm planning for a museum delivery at the end of March and I'm wondering if I should be concerned about the 6.5 hour drive north into Michigan from Bowling Green.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:38 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Jan-Mar? It's going to be bitter cold next week when I pick my vehicle up next week. Daytime Highs in the 40s and overnight in the 20s. I have driven summer performance tires in cold weather. The tires will lose their grip with even the slightest amount of power applied.
Assuming no precipitation, high 40’s in daytime is NOT what I would call bitter cold! Would just put the car in Weather Mode when 45 F or below, as I do now, and when they warm up in ~5 miles I switch back to Sport. Yes be careful with the throttle but traction is not that bad.

In Eastern SC seldom have to drive when below ~40 F but last year had an early morning meeting in town, wife had one as well so could not use her SUV and when I left the house it was 24 F. At the first red light with no traffic I applied the brakes fairly agreesivly. No ABS activation and the Grand Sport stopped fine. When I came back in 1 1/2 hours, outside temp was 30 F and car had been sitting outside. At the first turn, again with no traffic I gave it moderate throttle and as expected the rear stepped out slighly until the nannies caught it. No drama and when I had to stop at a light with no cars in the area applied the brakes fairly agreesivly. Again no ABS activation and stopped fine.

Sure traction is not like when above ~50 F but no panic. If I had to drive often when below ~40F I’d get winter or all-season tires and wheels but switch back to the OEM Michelin’s when warmer. But the times I need to drive when around freezing- no need.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-07-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I remember driving my Boss 302 with Continental summer performance tires and the temps were in mid 40s. I had to make a U-turn on a divided highway at a traffic light. When I made the turn and came around I gave the vehicle what you would consider normal acceleration, nothing to aggressive. The vehicle spun around and did a 360 just about as fast as you can bat an eyelid. Fortunate for me there were no other vehicles around. It was an eye opener to me just how little traction these type of tires have when cold.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:32 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Im not the avid corvette fan some of you folks are I suppose. Personally I wouldn't opt for the Museum delivery if it were free. Much easier to just swing by the dealership and pick it up. I generally don't even go over stuff on a car when I buy it. I know how to work the stuff and generally know more about the car than the sells staff. The less time buying and haggling the better it is. Last car I bought I did it over the phone. Told them what i'd pay, they accepted. They transferred the tags, I walked in wrote a check and drove off with the car. Was in the dealership 15-20 minutes tops.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Majorhavok
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Im not the avid corvette fan some of you folks are I suppose. Personally I wouldn't opt for the Museum delivery if it were free. Much easier to just swing by the dealership and pick it up. I generally don't even go over stuff on a car when I buy it. I know how to work the stuff and generally know more about the car than the sells staff. The less time buying and haggling the better it is. Last car I bought I did it over the phone. Told them what i'd pay, they accepted. They transferred the tags, I walked in wrote a check and drove off with the car. Was in the dealership 15-20 minutes tops.
Both of my local dealer want close to MSRP (museum delivery or not), so that is a 10-14% increase I'm not willing to spend. and since I'm 6.5 hours away from Bowling Green and I am interested in Museum Delivery, seemed like an easy choice for me.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

[QUOTE=speed4tu;1598295030]...Personally I wouldn't opt for the Museum delivery if it were free. Much easier to just swing by the dealership and pick it up. I generally don't even go over stuff on a car when I buy it. I know how to work the stuff….[/>QUOTE]

Hmm, can still buy a Vette the least expensive way AND have Museum Delivery IF you elect!

Bought my Grand Sport similar to my last 3 Vettes. Although I did not get Museum Delivery could have with the same 10 minute call to Kerbeck who sells over ~1000/year. They usually have ~200 in stock and publish the discounted price on their website. Hard to beat their prices. No hassle, no price negotiation, no thinking you know what the dealer paid etc, etc.

For the same deep discounts offered at the time I (and many others) order exactly what I want (exterior, interior color, interior level 1, 2 or 3LT, wheel option desired, caliper color, badge colors, aero package) built “just for me” at Bowling Green.

In the case of the Grand Sport I had it delivered to a small Chevy Dealer 30 miles from my home for a flat $250 Courtesy Delivery fee. Did not pay one penny more and Kerbeck price was exactly what was quoted on that 10 minute phone call. Being a gearhead since ~13 and now 76 I knew exactly what options I want including an M7 standard shift. No local dealer around here could come close in price and none would order a standard shift for inventory.

I could have ordered one more option, Museum Delivery and picked it up there when it was built! Been to the Museum and toured the plant some time ago when in the area on business, not to pick-up a car but definetly worth seeing both.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-07-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Xvoyager
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

They do an excellent presentation, and there the built up exhilaration waiting to get under the wheel. It was certainly worth the cost and value added to the purchase. The only negative was observing the break-in period speed restrictions.

March is perhaps not the best time for a trip back to Mich, but its doable if temps are above 45F. Project the long range weather forecast, choose dates and hope for a clear, sunny daytrip, and no precipitation along the route. Enjoy the ride and tour experience, it was certainly worth it and value added to the purchase.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by boxster99t
Not sure where the $2000 comes from--$990 option price plus travel expenses; when the factory is open as part of that, as those who've done it will tell you, it is MUCH better than any public tour.

Public tours of the factory whisk you through quickly on a tighter schedule as part of a group; R8C buyers can take their time (yes they try gently to get you to move, but you can say, I wanna watch this for a bit, and they don't rush you).

I did my R8C delivery in 2015 ordering from my local dealer who was large enough to have an allocation. A great experience (if the factory tour is open) that was worth the cost. It's cool if you can find what you want on a lot locally in Texas or whatever. If you want an as ordered car, you may pay more and it's an individual choice for sure.
As I recall, the cost is now $1,998.00. Not $995.00. For $2,000.00, you can do exactly as I wrote. For you,; you're spending another $1,000.00 or more to fetch your $2,000.00 up charged car. Do the math and get back to me.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:01 PM
gumbo2000
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
As I recall, the cost is now $1,998.00. Not $995.00. For $2,000.00, you can do exactly as I wrote. For you,; you're spending another $1,000.00 or more to fetch your $2,000.00 up charged car. Do the math and get back to me.
Wrong. Get the cost right and if you ask nicely I might do the math for you.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:56 PM
UsernameProtected
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 248 Posts

It was $990 when I selected it in 2016. I was going to pass, but my wife insisted I do it. I'd never bought a new car in my life, let alone factory order one. It was definitely a memorable experience, and I don't miss the money. The only frustrating part is you still have to pay the destination charge that was $995, if I recall correctly. That's simply ridiculous, since the destination is located about 1/4 mile from the plant. I understand they do that so people on the coasts don't have to pay more for their destination charges, but they choose to live there.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by UsernameProtected
It was $990 when I selected it in 2016. I was going to pass, but my wife insisted I do it. I'd never bought a new car in my life, let alone factory order one. It was definitely a memorable experience, and I don't miss the money. The only frustrating part is you still have to pay the destination charge that was $995, if I recall correctly. That's simply ridiculous, since the destination is located about 1/4 mile from the plant. I understand they do that so people on the coasts don't have to pay more for their destination charges, but they choose to live there.
For $995 it was still a little high, but at nearly the $2,000, other factors need to be considered for delivery. It just depends on the situation.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:48 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Or get all seasons and you won't have to worry about temps at all

Originally Posted by Xvoyager
They do an excellent presentation, and there the built up exhilaration waiting to get under the wheel. It was certainly worth the cost and value added to the purchase. The only negative was observing the break-in period speed restrictions.

March is perhaps not the best time for a trip back to Mich, but its doable if temps are above 45F. Project the long range weather forecast, choose dates and hope for a clear, sunny daytrip, and no precipitation along the route. Enjoy the ride and tour experience, it was certainly worth it and value added to the purchase.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:18 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by itaylorm
Or get all seasons and you won't have to worry about temps at all
is this practical? Where do you get the all seasons?...at the museum?...in Nashville? If you get them in Nashville then what do you do with the the original tires?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Buy them on tires.com, have them delivered and ask if they will do that.
Or drive them right over to a local place and have it done.

Originally Posted by MMD

is this practical? Where do you get the all seasons?...at the museum?...in Nashville? If you get them in Nashville then what do you do with the the original tires?
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

^^^^ Tire shops.

Most of us went with Michelin A/S. I got a trade in credit for the Summer only tires at my Discount Tire Store.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
itaylorm
Pro

That is where I got my last set for my 2016

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
^^^^ Tire shops.

Most of us went with Michelin A/S. I got a trade in credit for the Summer only tires at my Discount Tire Store.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Buy them on tires.com, have them delivered and ask if they will do that.
Or drive them right over to a local place and have it done.
yeah...well what about the OEM tires? Tie them on the roof for the ride home? Museum does not install tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM
itaylorm
Pro

Talk to the local discount tire and get a credit for the summer tires

Originally Posted by MMD

yeah...well what about the OEM tires? Tie them on the roof for the ride home? Museum does not install tires.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:42 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Talk to the local discount tire and get a credit for the summer tires

Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Hmmm..may have to ask my local Tire Factory if they'd consider that.

(wonder how much a market there is for (almost) brand new GS sized, factory equipment Michelins with less than 10 miles on 'em...)

Quick Reply: Taking C7 delivery at Bowling Green?