C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP NEEDED - Where exactly to I release rear hatch cable to remove bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 12:23 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,165 Likes on 5,989 Posts

Default HELP NEEDED - Where exactly to I release rear hatch cable to remove bumper?

EDIT - I got it see below. Don't do it this way. Disconnect lock from bumper side. Saves you from having to pull the rear trim panel and carpet.

The OEM manuals are vague. What exactly am I disconnecting to fully remove the rear fascia? Does the cone shaped rubber grommet have to be pulled loose from the tub?

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-30-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:27 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Ttt
Old 06-30-2018, 03:36 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Can you remove it from the bumper side rather than the latch side? Looks like a pain to remove from that direction.

Last edited by Jeff V.; 06-30-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:44 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
Can you remove it from the bumper side rather than the latch side? Looks like a pain to remove from that direction.
Apprently you can. OEM manuals state to do it this way but are vague on which part actually gets disconnected. If it can be done from the bumper side then there was no point in pulling the carpet and rear trim.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-30-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:10 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

I wish I could offer something more useful. It's going to be a few more weeks before I put my new spoiler on.

The only thing I can suggest is remove that black plastic clip from the metal bracket. That should give you enough slack to remove the little metal tab that connects to the actual latch. Then compress the rubber grommet and pull the whole thing through the trunk wall.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:16 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I wish I could offer something more useful. It's going to be a few more weeks before I put my new spoiler on.

The only thing I can suggest is remove that black plastic clip from the metal bracket. That should give you enough slack to remove the little metal tab that connects to the actual latch. Then compress the rubber grommet and pull the whole thing through the trunk wall.
That's exactly what I did. Had to use long nose pliars too get to the cable retainer tab. Pushing the grommet out with the bumper on and the 2LT sub was fun. The OEM manuals were worthless... some mention of an access door. Maybe that's on the 1LT or the Vert, but as shown, the diagram and instructions are worthless.

I can 100% say don't bother removing the carpet and rear panel and disconnect the lock cylinder from the bumper side. There's a good how-to with pics on Stingray forums.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 06-30-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:30 PM
dork
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Gdmmt. Old age has set in. I did this last year, but I can't remember exactly. From memory jogged by your first picture, pull the wire towards the left. You'll need enough slack to remove the wire from the hole just under the latch. In your picture, the farthest part of the wire on the left is covered by what looks like a "lead weight". It's a rigid piece of metal that's bent in a squared-off "S" shape. (Think of military marching drills viewed from above--ifn you wanted a buncha dudes to walk in an "S", while they're marching, they'd square off their turn left, walk a little way, then square off a turn right. If you saw that from above, that's what that metal looks like.) You'll need enough slack to maneouver the 'S' bend out of the hole in the painted black steel frame. Then with the wire loose from the latch, you'll have to use a pair of needle-nosed pliers or regular ones if they'll fit and squeeze the black plastic clip on the right side so you can remove it and the wire through the hole holding the clip.

At that point, you should have a plasticized-shrouded wire freed completely from the latch's framing. All that holds it in "place" now is that big rubber grommet. Compress the grommet (I forced it with a screwdriver as I recall) and pass the shrouded wire with its' "S" hook through the body and that entire wire assembly should be totally freed from the car, but still attached to the bumper.

There's a secret to removing the assembly from the bumper- it only inserts and removes in one direction- unfortunately, I can't remember that specifically enough to help without pictures--and if you provided them, it's no guarantee that I'd remember, but I do remember that you should be *very* careful removing the assembly from the fascia. Force it and break it, and you'll need a whole new wire rigging as I recall. I got lucky and forced it in the correct direction and only realized my luck after trying to figure out how to install it in the new fascia.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Thanks all I got it.... I will say be gentle with the needle nose squeezing the tabs on the plastic retainer thing. I didn't damage it, but it looks like if you squeeze too hard or too many times an "ear" could eventually break off causing you to have to replace the assembly. Squeeze just enough to get the thing out. Oh and a head mounted light wound be very handy.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP NEEDED - Where exactly to I release rear hatch cable to remove bumper?

Quick Reply: HELP NEEDED - Where exactly to I release rear hatch cable to remove bumper?