Sponsored by:

Another Screw Up By Discount Tire - But With A Happy Ending

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Cork76063
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Another Screw Up By Discount Tire - But With A Happy Ending

Received a text that my car (2019 Grand Sport with 2,000 miles) had low air pressure on the left rear. Went out to look and sure enough, a screw right in the middle of the tire. Called discount tire, told them what car it was and if they had the proper equipment to repair. Was assured they did, was told they work on new corvettes all the time, so I made an appointment. Arrived for my appointment, and was greeted by a different guy than who I made the appointment with. We went out and looked at the car, and again, I asked him if they had the proper equipment to handle this. His response was yes, we work on Corvettes, Porsche and Fisker cars all the time.

They pulled the car in, remove the wheel, took the tire off..mind you, Im watching the whole time. As soon as the guy got the tire off he stopped and went and got the guy who had written up the service over, then he grabbed a manager, and next thing I know, there are six people standing around looking at my wheel. Immediately I knew they had screwed something up. The service writer came to the waiting room and ask me to come out into the shop, and sure enough, not only a huge scratch on the wheel, but some nicks along the edges. I immediately lost it, I don't remember what choice words I used, but it was enough that the workers in the area stopped what they were doing. I then said to the service writer, what about all of the corvettes, porsche and fiskers you work on, do you do that to their wheels too? His only response was that they could have the wheel refinished. I firmly stated NO, that I wanted a new wheel, that he needed to file a claim. He immediately picked up the phone and started making phone calls. Few minutes later he came back, told me that he had ordered a new wheel from the local dealership and it would be here in a week.

So in the end, everything did work out, new wheel went on without a scratch.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:42 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Road Forece Balance?

Did you have them road force balance the wheel and tire?

Originally Posted by Cork76063
Received a text that my car (2019 Grand Sport with 2,000 miles) had low air pressure on the left rear. Went out to look and sure enough, a screw right in the middle of the tire. Called discount tire, told them what car it was and if they had the proper equipment to repair. Was assured they did, was told they work on new corvettes all the time, so I made an appointment. Arrived for my appointment, and was greeted by a different guy than who I made the appointment with. We went out and looked at the car, and again, I asked him if they had the proper equipment to handle this. His response was yes, we work on Corvettes, Porsche and Fisker cars all the time.

They pulled the car in, remove the wheel, took the tire off..mind you, Im watching the whole time. As soon as the guy got the tire off he stopped and went and got the guy who had written up the service over, then he grabbed a manager, and next thing I know, there are six people standing around looking at my wheel. Immediately I knew they had screwed something up. The service writer came to the waiting room and ask me to come out into the shop, and sure enough, not only a huge scratch on the wheel, but some nicks along the edges. I immediately lost it, I don't remember what choice words I used, but it was enough that the workers in the area stopped what they were doing. I then said to the service writer, what about all of the corvettes, porsche and fiskers you work on, do you do that to their wheels too? His only response was that they could have the wheel refinished. I firmly stated NO, that I wanted a new wheel, that he needed to file a claim. He immediately picked up the phone and started making phone calls. Few minutes later he came back, told me that he had ordered a new wheel from the local dealership and it would be here in a week.

So in the end, everything did work out, new wheel went on without a scratch.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Cork76063
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dfettero
Did you have them road force balance the wheel and tire?
Well they told me they did, but who really knows.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I had my wife's XT5 at DT for a screw puncture on Tuesday and I was careful to check for any rim damage before I left the shop. Fortunately all was OK. I realize those wheels aren't as challenging, but can be messed up as well. Not taking DT's side, but I wonder how much longer they and other shops will continue to honor damage issues or will revert to a "not responsible" clause on the work order? If not that route, they may establish a premium price on certain sizes to somewhat cover themselves. These larger wheels/tires certainly require specialty equipment which is expensive and even then the stiff runflats are a bear to work with. I had a DT manager mount some on my '05 Vette and he struggled but was extremely careful.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

While they should have been more careful when working on your wheel, at least they fessed up to the damage and ordered you a new wheel. I've been to shops that won't take any responsibility for wheel damage - and immediately left.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Screw Up By Discount Tire - But With A Happy Ending

Quick Reply: Another Screw Up By Discount Tire - But With A Happy Ending