Sponsored by:

Lloyd Trunk Mat Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM
BMF82
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Lloyd Trunk Mat Problem

I just purchased a Lloyd trunk mat and it does not allow access to the cargo hooks which I use to attach the cargo net and hatch cover.

Has anyone found a way to use a Lloyd trunk mat and and have access to the cargo hooks?
Old 07-12-2018, 09:15 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

Odd, mine had slits for the loops to penetrate through.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

same here- slits for the loops hard to find I suspect they're there
Old 07-12-2018, 09:22 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSteveF
Odd, mine had slits for the loops to penetrate through.
Not obvious, but they were there.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Cubby558
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21

Flip it over, you will see the slits in the mat. Then you can turn it back over and adjust them through the slit one at a time.

Last edited by Cubby558; 07-12-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:52 PM
BMF82
Racer

Hey! How bout that! I found them. Thanks for the quick response everyone.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:50 PM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82

I'm sure you weren't the first!
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 AM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by BMF82

Was wondering about that myself. Which mat did you buy? The Ultimate or the Lux? I'm interested in one with those cut outs but also the Stingray fish logo that's centered and points toward the front of the car. Would that by any chance be the one you got? If so, any pics?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I was thinking of getting the trunk mat. Aside from aesthetics, does it serve a function?
Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I was thinking of getting the trunk mat. Aside from aesthetics, does it serve a function?
No more than any other rug. But aesthetics is a pretty big deal compared to the OEM version. It might quiet the rig down a tiny bit.

The following users liked this post:
Maxpowers (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Cpo15
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, now I’m interested in these. How does the Lloyds cargo mat address the battery and cubby covers?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by Cpo15
Okay, now I’m interested in these. How does the Lloyds cargo mat address the battery and cubby covers?

Thanks.
Just pull the rug up to access them.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I'm not sure whether it's aesthetics or function, but we put a Gray Lloyds trunk mat in our car because the original color is a black hole, especially at night. Anything in there that isn't big or bright requires a flashlight to find.
It may also quiet the interior a bit, I haven't tried measurements yet.
Also, the Lloyds mats have a rubber backing. If you are going to carry something damp or dirty in the trunk, flip the mat over. When finished; remove the mat, clean/dry, and reinstall.
Maxpowers (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:03 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
It may also quiet the interior a bit, I haven't tried measurements yet.
I installed the Lloyd's rear mat hoping for some noise reduction as a side benefit, but was unable to notice any, and using the Decibel X Pro app yielded no significant reduction.
I installed the Block-It mat under the Lloyds' mat, and it (along with the behind the seat inserts) dropped the sound level 2-5 dB depending on road surface, and more importantly, reduced the echo chamber effect from the cargo compartment floor reflecting the noise of every crack or expansion strip off the rear window to the front of the car.

Last edited by jimmbbo; 07-13-2018 at 04:03 PM.
TKO Performance (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 AM
BMF82
Racer

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
Was wondering about that myself. Which mat did you buy? The Ultimate or the Lux? I'm interested in one with those cut outs but also the Stingray fish logo that's centered and points toward the front of the car. Would that by any chance be the one you got? If so, any pics?
i went with the ultimate and bought them on amazon. I think it’s a good thickness and lux seems too thick for a sports car. Went with ebony as the color and it’s a perfect match if you have a black interior. IMHO Jet is too black. My only complaint is I have black carbon flash badges on the car so these logos don’t match the car. Didn’t really think about that until I saw them installed. If I had to do it again I would have gone with a different logo but they still look sharp.
Squeaky Wheel (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:55 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

The trunk mat helped reduce the noise in the cabin a little.
Maxpowers (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 AM
tadda
Le Mans Master

Received 6,809 Likes on 2,631 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
I installed the Lloyd's rear mat hoping for some noise reduction as a side benefit, but was unable to notice any, and using the Decibel X Pro app yielded no significant reduction.
I installed the Block-It mat under the Lloyds' mat, and it (along with the behind the seat inserts) dropped the sound level 2-5 dB depending on road surface, and more importantly, reduced the echo chamber effect from the cargo compartment floor reflecting the noise of every crack or expansion strip off the rear window to the front of the car.

good info...thx

Get notified of new replies

To Lloyd Trunk Mat Problem

Old 07-14-2018, 05:22 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
I did it in the opposite order. I first installed the Blockit mats and I noticed some reduction in road noise as you noted. A few days later I installed a Lloyds cargo mat on top of the Blockit and I might have noticed a little more reduction in road noise. The majority of road noise I hear now is coming from the front of the car.

The only disadvantage is that those two items stacked together are about 1.5 inches thick so you lose that much cargo depth. Also, the Lloyds cargo mat emits an unpleasant odor from its rubber backing.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Yesterday I sent a message to TKO asking about the differences between the C6 BlockIt and the C7 versions. They replied quickly, here's what they said:
**************************************** **************************************** ****************************************

The new mats have more barrier in them so they do knock out more noise. Still lighter then permanently gluing other product down under the carpet. Plus the Blockit can be removed if you hit a race event anyway. The mats are 1" thick BUT they crunch down to 1/8 so you dont loose any space for luggage.

I hope this helps. Thanks

**************************************** **************************************** **************************************

My thoughts:
Most C7 owners don't care about luggage space, but we use the car for road trips of 3 weeks to 3 months, quietness is important but we also need all the space we can get.

Our C6 Blockit is about 5/8" thick. It's heavy but feels squishy when you push on the top skin; and when I did the math, our 30 lb duffels (we have lots of 'em) only exert a pressure of about 1/10 psi on the mat. On the C6 mat, the compression is barely visible. So unless the C7 mat is vastly softer than our C6 version, the only way it will crunch down to 1/8" is if you're carrying a trunk full of bricks.
For most people, that's a non-issue. For us, it makes me pause...

BTW, we used the car on a 3 month/8,700 mile trip last winter. In preparation for snow (that we didn't get) and temperatures below 20'F (which we did get), I got a set of the all season AS3+ runflats on a second set of wheels. Judging by ear and by butt-o-meter, they are no quieter or softer than the PSS runflats that came on the car. They did perform nicely in temperatures ranging from 20' up to 80' and I'll use them again in cold weather.

Noise depends a lot on pavement type and condition, but generally in our 2017 Z51 Coupe with Lloyds trunk mat but no BlockIt, the music is useless above about 70 mph due to noise, mostly from the tires.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 07-14-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

FWIW, I also bought the dark gray mats both front and rear for contrast as it looked more like a featureless black hole with anything darker. I really like the look.
I drove the car on a 2500 mile road trip in May and then drove it to Spring Mountain last month. On the May road trip, I filled the back with baggage and "stuff", and the echo chamber effect was reduced significantly. The extra thickness of the Block It mats wasn't an issue regarding capacity, but I am single . On the Spring Mountain trip, all I stuck in back was a small roll-on bag and the noise level was more noticeable but the "annoyance level" depended mostly on the road surface.
On road trips with the back mostly filled, the "echo chamber" is attenuated by whatever is placed back there. Where I notice the Block It mats is when the cargo area is empty and the road thumps and clunks don't echo forward.

Quick Reply: Lloyd Trunk Mat Problem