Sponsored by:

Windshield repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 08:37 AM
zelmo
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield repair

I picked up a rock chip in the windshield. My insurance company asked if I was willing to use their repair guy to fix it. I agreed.

The chip is way over on the passenger side so I didn't think it would be a big deal. I have had chips repaired before and my recollection was that unless you were looking through it you could hardly tell it was there.

After the repair it is more noticeable than before the work was done! Pictures of it were hard to get, but here is one from the outside and one from the inside.

Is my memory faulty or is this an inferior repair job? I want to take the car to Safelite to see if they think their work would be better, but I thought I would ask for opinions here first.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:13 AM
hammong
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Shoddy workmanship on that repair. Most chips I've had filled are nearly invisible if done right. Downside is, once they mess it up and get trapped air in the repair, it's almost impossible to get it out without drilling with a diamond bit and making the hole bigger. A competent windshield repair person can "fix" it.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 AM
LanceVette
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hammong
Shoddy workmanship on that repair. Most chips I've had filled are nearly invisible if done right. Downside is, once they mess it up and get trapped air in the repair, it's almost impossible to get it out without drilling with a diamond bit and making the hole bigger. A competent windshield repair person can "fix" it.
I agree. Also have had repairs done and can't even notice. Here in town, and a franchise around many parts of the U.S. is NOVIS Glass. Great work. Highly recommended.

Oops, NOVUS Glass

Last edited by LanceVette; 07-17-2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-17-2018, 10:46 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

When they first started doing these back in the 80s they were great. My Dad had one done on his Lincoln right in the path of view, and other than some lensing, you couldn't even see it.

Now every one I get fixed like that is a big white spot.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

I have used Safelite and the repair was perfect. Fixing the bad repair you have seems hard to do, but no harm in asking Safelite.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:55 AM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

It depends on the repair. With most insurance companies, if you don’t like the repair you can replace the windshield.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 AM
zelmo
Cruising

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
I have used Safelite and the repair was perfect. Fixing the bad repair you have seems hard to do, but no harm in asking Safelite.
Since I did the post I took the car to Safelite. They told me they didn't think it was bad!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
zelmo
Cruising

Originally Posted by red62vette
It depends on the repair. With most insurance companies, if you don’t like the repair you can replace the windshield.
In searching these forums I saw posts that talked about windshield replacements not fitting as well as the original. Since I had good experiences with repairs in the past I decided that was the lesser evil.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM
blueray16
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 282 Posts

I used safelite to repair a chip in my C7 windshield and It is hard to spot if you don't know where to look.

Its been my experience over many years that insurance companies make contractual agreements with repair shops based almost entirely on the lowest cost, never the best service. Tried them twice in the past on daily drivers, never again and certainly never on a "special" car

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield repair

Quick Reply: Windshield repair