Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 10:37 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Default Windshield Replacement

Had a rock fall from an overpass hitting the windshield which will require the windshield to be replaced. Anything I need to be aware of before the insurance adjuster inspects the car?

Last edited by ricks327; 07-20-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:48 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Did the rock fall all by itself, or was it dropped by vandals?
Old 07-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

Make sure they replace it with a factory GM windshield. The insurance companies usually try to replace it with an OEM Replacement Windshield because it's cheaper. If you have Heads-Up display you need a Heads-Up Display windshield.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:59 PM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Beroza
Make sure they replace it with a factory GM windshield. The insurance companies usually try to replace it with an OEM Replacement Windshield because it's cheaper. If you have Heads-Up display you need a Heads-Up Display windshield.
^^That
Ima gonna watch this thread. Curious to see if it'll be a dogfight between GM glass and ... (Safelite)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

OEM is (original equipment manufactures) part. Meaning GM glass. You want to always ask for OEM. The glass company will try to use Safelite. Don't accept that.And as was said, if yo have a HUD, make sure its for that use as well.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:17 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say to ensure that you do not get a replacement windshield that is sourced off-shore (i.e.: China) as they can be of inferior quality/durability. Also, as others have noted, if you have heads up display, there is a specific windshield for that as there is a plastic layer that is laminated into the windshield. A non heads up windshield will result in an image that is fuzzy..

Also, the car should sit for 24 hours to let the urethane gasket set up properly. This is because windshields are now a stressed part of the car's structure and the gasket needs to cure to ensure proper adhesion and strength. The place I took my cars to, refused to do windshield replacements if a customer refused to leave the car in his shop overnight.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Some shops have a mobile service and can come replace the glass in your driveway or garage if you prefer..
That way you can have the car and make sure it does not move until cured too.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 PM
KemahGT
Burning Brakes

Received 282 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Some shops have a mobile service and can come replace the glass in your driveway or garage if you prefer..
That way you can have the car and make sure it does not move until cured too.
Safelite would not change mine at home.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 07-20-2018, 06:45 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

[QUOTE=FireRoc;1597635631]I would say to ensure that you do not get a replacement windshield that is sourced off-shore (i.e.: China) as they can be of inferior quality/durability. Also, as others have noted, if you have heads up display, there is a specific windshield for that as there is a plastic layer that is laminated into the windshield. A non heads up windshield will result in an image that is fuzzy..

Also, the car should sit for 24 hours to let the urethane gasket set up properly. This is because windshields are now a stressed part of the car's structure and the gasket needs to cure to ensure proper adhesion and strength. The place I took my cars to, refused to do windshield replacements if a customer refused to leave the car in his shop overnight.[/QUOTE]

The reason he probably insisted you leave the car overnight is so he could take it out an flog it to death!
I have my windshield replaced 2 years ago with OEM by Safelite shop at their location and the job took about 4 hours...no problems at all since then.
Maxie2U (07-21-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM
Bob Beroza
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 161 Posts

I had GM replace my windshield under warranty and they said that GM has a contract with Safelite nationwide to do all the replacements.
With that said, Satellite can do Factory Windshield or their replacement glass.

You want the GM Windshield.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Thanks for the tips. It is a heads up unit and the car is insured with NCM Insurance Agency. Waiting to hear from the adjuster.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:28 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

My insurance carrier - USAA - prefers Safelite - I have had Safelite windshields replaced on a C4, a C6, a CTS-V Cadillac, and my C7 - all have been perfect - and, yes, with Heads Up.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Not all insurance companies will allow OEM replacements after XX time.

USAA won't. Most won't.

But don't despair. When I had mine replace by Safelite, they replaced it perfectly, and knew exactly what they were dealing with ( it's a more complicated replacement than most cars). They knew it would be longer than the average of an hour, and so they told me so. They replaced it perfectly, and no one would ever be able to tell.

They did not replace it with GM HUD glass, because USAA would not cover that on a car more than two years old (check your policy), but the glass they put in had the same markings minus the GM, and is as optically pure as the original .

I had such a good experience with them, I have to put this pic out there for you all.

4thC4at60 (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

I went to my dealer who contacted my insurance company. They simply told my insurance company they had to replace the windshield because it was cracke and unsafe. My insurance company approved the OEM (GM) windshield.

Don’t settle for less...get a GM windshield.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 07-21-2018 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:22 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Not all insurance companies will allow OEM replacements after XX time.

USAA won't. Most won't.

But don't despair. When I had mine replace by Safelite, they replaced it perfectly, and knew exactly what they were dealing with ( it's a more complicated replacement than most cars). They knew it would be longer than the average of an hour, and so they told me so. They replaced it perfectly, and no one would ever be able to tell.

They did not replace it with GM HUD glass, because USAA would not cover that on a car more than two years old (check your policy), but the glass they put in had the same markings minus the GM, and is as optically pure as the original .

I had such a good experience with them, I have to put this pic out there for you all.

You are so right, and the X time has shrunk to no time, any car no matter how new--different car but my 2018 Nissan Rogue daily driver was 10 days old when a hail storm hit on 6-6-18 and broke my windshield, and did about $8000 in sheet metal damage.

The car had 380 miles on the odometer and was still on the first tank of gas--windshield replacement (non-OEM). They also didn't want to cover OEM hood and roof, but did. I'm a lawyer and I fully understand insurance policies that only require like kind parts, and in theory that doesn't have to be OEM. But often times the non-OEM parts are not created equal.

Have to say, one thing nice about Porsches is there are no non-OEM windshields and body parts. So when you do need windshields or body work, you're getting OEM parts. I can remember when I had a windshield replacement on an 02 Boxster S. Called the insurance company and they said, sir you have a $500 deductible, so there probably won't be any reason to do an insurance claim. I said, "you wanna bet--a Porsche windshield (at that time) is $800 plus labor", and because there are no OEM parts, State Farm had to cover the amount over $500.

Last edited by boxster99t; 07-21-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Not all insurance companies will allow OEM replacements after XX time. USAA won't. Most won't. But don't despair. When I had mine replace by Safelite, they replaced it perfectly, and knew exactly what they were dealing with ( it's a more complicated replacement than most cars). They knew it would be longer than the average of an hour, and so they told me so. They replaced it perfectly, and no one would ever be able to tell. They did not replace it with GM HUD glass, because USAA would not cover that on a car more than two years old (check your policy), but the glass they put in had the same markings minus the GM, and is as optically pure as the original . I had such a good experience with them, I have to put this pic out there for you all.
Gotta bring this back up. I also have USAA and I'm seeing tiny rock chips after 4k miles (windshield only...rest of the car has Xpel). I want to replace later, but if I do, I'll insist on OEM GM glass. Maybe USAA won't pay for it, buy they'll pay for Safelite. At that point I'd pay the difference for the OEM glass. Y'all can be satisfied with Safelite, I can't on my Corvette (all my other cars are Safelite worthy).

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Replacement

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement