Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 08:04 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

I really appreciate all the feedback. I wasn’t trying to get approval because I am a female. I really just don’t understand why they told me that. They both know that I have had 2 other corvettes and that I traded up from a 2016 to the 2019 Grand sport...so either they meant it’s that the car is too much for me (the price) or (I don’t know how to drive it)����*♀️ like really, it’s NOT my first time having power. I respect it and never have driven any of my others even close to what they could do.
I know a few of you mentioned about it being close to the ground and kinda difficult getting in and out of. I’m 5’2 and it actually fits me perfect. We also have a Cadillac CTS and I feel like I’m getting in a SUV compared to what I’m accustomed to...
I think my husband and I are going to take the driving school together. I think it will be fun and we will also learn things about the car that I’m sure we do not know.
We ordered the car 2 months ago so it’s scheduled to arrive this week.

I will post pics and give feedback on the comparison of a z51 and a GS from my POV.

THANKS again for the support! ������

Last edited by jenfioreally; 07-22-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:16 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

What is to regret? Even if you drive aggressively from time to time just keep the nannies engaged and the car is fine. They correct any wheelspin. Kept it in Touring mode as they come on sooner. If it’s raining good idea to use Weather Mode. I do when it’s below 45 F, the nannies come on sooner and excess throttle is corrected sooner.

As far as being a women, Britney Force was the AA Fuel Dragster Champion for 2017. See if any of the men telling you that have the ***** to go from 0 to 320 mph in 1000 feet in under 4 seconds!
Sounds to me like you are ahead of the curve and under control. A lot of good responses above. Enjoy your car.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:49 PM
red62vette
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 152 Posts

Congratulations. Drive the sh*t out of it.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:39 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by red62vette
Congratulations. Drive the sh*t out of it.

lol this just made me crack up!!!

The following users liked this post:
red62vette (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by CocoVette
As a 32 year old female, I get that sht a lot. Whether someone assumes it's my husband's or just the scathing look on people's faces . I have a Stingray, and it is a lot of car for me. It's taught me to absolutely respect the power of it, and be much more responsible with it, after a few oh sht moments. Regardless of gender, I think any car can be too much for anyone.
Haha my tag proves it’s not my husbands. I’ll have the same vanity tag as I did before.
Lol it says 4THEBCH 🤷🏼*♀️
Old 07-22-2018, 09:48 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

Haha my tag proves it’s not my husbands. I’ll have the same vanity tag as I did before.
Lol …
Old 07-22-2018, 09:51 PM
CocoVette
Racer

Received 225 Likes on 90 Posts

Lol love it. I have rhinestones all around mine, I hope that gets the point across haha
Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

I’m a female and two different times I’ve been told that a grand sport is “too much car” for me. Someone please explain....
am I going to regret it?
I know I’m probably out numbered being a female on this forum, but I want a honest answer.

Not sure what being a female has to do with a car being too much for the driver. It is all about the capability of the driver and as far as I know the car doesn't care what gender you are. A GS can be too much for a lot of drivers that have never really learned how to drive other than to sit in their machines and run down the highway at 75 or 80 mph. If you know how to smoothly apply and remove throttle input and how it applies to driving a light weight car with a high torque engine that has tons of off idle torque available you will be fine. By the way if you purchase a new one you also get to attend the 2 day Corvette Owner's school for $1000 plus air fare and lodging. They will teach you how to handle the beast and give you confidence when you are driving it.

The LT1 engine has torque and horsepower curves that are identical the C6Z LS7 engine up to 4000 rpm. When they first introduced the C7 they gave the C7 Z51 the same transmission ratios that were in the C6 Z51 so it could compete up to a point with the C6Z even though it weighed 200 lbs more than a C6Z. The GS gives you a better platform for the capabilities of the engine although it does weigh more than the C7Z51. Only thing that surpasses it would be the C7 Z06 or ZR1.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-22-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:08 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Lol love it. I have rhinestones all around mine, I hope that gets the point across haha
All you have to do is do a search and you can easily find me on IG.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:14 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I’m a female and two different times I’ve been told that a grand sport is “too much car” for me. Someone please explain....
am I going to regret it?
I know I’m probably out numbered being a female on this forum, but I want a honest answer.
Not too much at all. Man or woman, GS is a good choice..
Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure what being a female has to do with a car being too much for the driver. It is all about the capability of the driver and as far as I know the car doesn't care what gender you are. A GS can be too much for a lot of drivers that have never really learned how to drive other than to sit in their machines and run down the highway at 75 or 80 mph. If you know how to smoothly apply and remove throttle input and how it applies to driving a light weight car with a high torque engine that has tons of off idle torque available you will be fine. By the way if you purchase a new one you also get to attend the 2 day Corvette Owner's school for $1000 plus air fare and lodging. They will teach you how to handle the beast and give you confidence when you are driving it.

The LT1 engine has torque and horsepower curves that are identical the C6Z LS7 engine up to 4000 rpm. When they first introduced the C7 they gave the C7 Z51 the same transmission ratios that were in the C6 Z51 so it could compete up to a point with the C6Z even though it weighed 200 lbs more than a C6Z. The GS gives you a better platform for the capabilities of the engine although it does weigh more than the C7Z51. Only thing that surpasses it would be the C7 Z06 or ZR1.

Bill
100% Bill.

Throwing around unsubstantiated gossip as a reason why you should not be able to handle a car, has zilch to do with how many you've owned, your sex, or anything else. Notwithstanding claims of driving 1st in 24 hrs at LeMans, the street racer's keyboards are charged up on this one. LOL!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 AM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 231 Likes on 131 Posts

OP - These cars are very mild-mannered if driven conservatively, and very capable if driven aggressively. Take your time, pick your places and work into whatever skill you are interested in developing gradually so that you can gain confidence and familiarity with the cars capabilities.

Instead of thinking the car is more than you can handle, I would have suggested the opposite. Look at it this way instead: the car is able to deliver performance that few cars can. It can out accelerate, out corner, and out brake just about every other car on the road. This is a plus because in the hands of a capable driver, it is one of the safest cars on the road.

Last edited by Range_Rat; 07-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:55 AM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

My thoughts and teachings: More of anything good is always better.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:59 AM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Fantastic, It's for the beach!
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 AM
changw1
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

During my first HPDE event, I was told by my intructor that my GS was too much for me and I should go get a Subaru BRZ. After the third event, I am the fastest car in the lower intermediate run group. Just need time to learn the capability of the car safely. In a recent autocross event, a female driver who has never done any autocross before went from near bottom (first run) to one of the fastest car during the last lap after instruction.. She drives a GTR so it is the same league.. Go do the Spring Mountain school if you haven't done so.

Last edited by changw1; 07-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 AM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

If you felt the need to post a thread asking if the car has too much power for you, my gut feeling is that you might think this isn't the car for you. Test driving this car, or any car for that matter, should be enough to see if the car is a good fit.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:49 AM
LimeRock
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife had similar worries with ours. But after a short period of time she calls it effortless to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Too much car for me?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

This is my wife's C7 (check out her tag ) She's been driving RX-7's, 350Z's, 96 LT4 vette, 2003 vette, and now this C7, every one a manual trans and she is 64yr old. She has Never had an issue with too much HP !!!
Old 07-23-2018, 11:29 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Lol it says 4THEBCH ����*♀️

And here's our tag....... and a few Corvettes ago, we had a 60th Anniv 427 with 6 speed STICK, ...... she drove that often too.

Enjoy your new Vette !!!!!

Last edited by Strake; 07-23-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:14 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Regardless of gender, I think any car can be too much for anyone.
Exactly my thoughts. There are only a few here that can push it to its limits.

Quick Reply: Too much car for me?