"Must have" Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default "Must have" Accessories?

Hello All,

As I try to figure finances for my planned move from my C5 to a new C7, I have come to realize that certain accessories are considered to be "must have" items by many forum members. It would be helpful to have a grip on these potential added costs as I plan.

I also realize that the term "must have" is very subjective and means different things to different people. My hope is to compile all of your opinions and then whittle them down to my own approximation of "must have."

At this point, my focus is more toward preserving the vehicle and ease of maintenance, as opposed to making stylistic statements.

Assume a Stingray Convertible.
Assume this will be a daily driver from May through October in New England.
Assume ownership for the long haul. LONG HAUL. As in only parting with this vehicle when the DMV takes away my license due to the infirmities that come with advanced age. And even then, I may keep it to play the radio, reminisce, and drive up and down my driveway.

In addition to suggesting the additional items, it would also be helpful to differentiate accessories best purchased through GM at the time of my order from those best acquired aftermarket because of better value, quality, or or uniqueness. For example, skirts, splitters, etc..

Based on diligently (my wife would say "obsessively") reading the many relevant threads on our forum , here is a start:
  • Lloyds mats
  • xpel
  • ceramic coating
Your thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

HV
Old 07-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I have expel on my C7 (only on the front half) and ceramic on my C-5 (total), I prefer the ceramic.
I have lloyds mats in both.
I also have a 'light' tint on the windows
My C-7 is a LT2.
I like the heads up, some folks don't care.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-28-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Thanks Phanni. I should have mentioned in my original post to assume the 2LT package.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-28-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:35 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

I agree with Xpel and Lloyds mats.

As a fellow Vert owner I would recommend Smarttop. (just confirm it's updated for the current model year--I have a 2016). This easy mod is by far my favorite to date. There are a few features, but my favorite are:
1. You can raise the top after leaving the car! (not just lower it)
2. You do not have to hold the button for the full cycle. This often failed for me with the stock approach.
3. You can change the interior top control switch to single touch so you don't have to hold it thru the full cycle.

My least expensive mod was to cover the visor warning stickers with a fabric sticker.

You might consider the Mild to Wild switch to control your exhaust. With the top down you get a great exhaust sound.

Last edited by JonMN; 07-28-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:45 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,599 Posts

You may find this thread helpful as it contains lots of opinions as to what are not 'must haves'.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...our-vette.html
Old 07-28-2018, 09:45 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Add Jack pucks, and trickle charger as necessary items.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Regarding side skirts and spitters, I looked thru dozens of photos before I decided on mine. There are a lot of great choices For me the choice was esthetics and a little chip protection. I decided I liked the most basic splitter design, and preferred straight skirts to the Z style. I was very happy with my ACS choices, both painted in Carbon Flash.

Kind of hard to get nice photos of black skirts but here are a few I took

Old 07-28-2018, 10:02 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

vitesse controler range afr if an auto
Old 07-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

In regard to Xpel and similar materials, you can repair A LOT of rock chips for the approx $2500 full application costs. Granted, my GS isn't my DD, however I've been through some nasty construction areas and heard the dreaded sound of gravel/debris/asphalt being thrown up and I have absolutely NO damage. I do have 3/4 skirts and OEM splash guards which are very effective. I am careful, trying not to follow too close and try to avoid problematic areas.

I did the analysis early on in getting pricing, speaking with vendors at Carlisle and determined it didn't make sense for me. Now if your C7 is your daily driver, and you live in a congested metropolitan area, they it may be worth the expense to you.

A range devise is invaluable if you are getting an A8. Keeps C7 in V8 mode full time. You may find it to be the best $190 you ever spent on a car.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-28-2018 at 10:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
Rebel Yell (07-28-2018), RKCRLR (07-31-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:06 AM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Phanni
I have expel on my C-7 (only on the front half) and ceramic on my C-5 (total), I prefer the ceramic.
Hard to compare those two in an either/or manner like that. If comparing shine, maybe, but if comparing the properties of protecting the paint from rocks/chips/dings, then ceramic does virtually nothing in comparison to PPF (Xpel, Suntek, 3M, etc).

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
In regard to Xpel and similar materials, you can repair A LOT of rock chips for the approx $2500 full application costs.
I hope your run of luck avoiding rock chips continue. You certainly don't have to do a whole car, though. You can do just the nose or front end, being the main "target" for rock chips, for considerably less. For the money spent, you don't have to live with all those rock chips before you give up and repaint...with PPF, you never get the rock chips to start with.

Last edited by DWS44; 07-28-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I got some weather tech floor mats to protect the carpeted mats
Old 07-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Very helpful suggestions. Thank you.

I forgot to add to assume a M7. Of all the possible options, this is the only one that is non-negotiable for me.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Originally Posted by JonMN
Regarding side skirts and spitters, I looked thru dozens of photos before I decided on mine. There are a lot of great choices For me the choice was esthetics and a little chip protection. I decided I liked the most basic splitter design, and preferred straight skirts to the Z style. I was very happy with my ACS choices, both painted in Carbon Flash.

Kind of hard to get nice photos of black skirts but here are a few I took

Thank you Jon.

With respect to a Stingray versus a GS, is there any protection that comes from skirts and splitters? Or is it just aesthetics?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:47 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

^^The side skirts help a little for rock chips. The splitter I chose was just to complete the look. Have fun!!
Old 07-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by JonMN
^^The side skirts help a little for rock chips. The splitter I chose was just to complete the look. Have fun!!
I would say A LOT more than a little.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:56 AM
ddlanes
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

I would consider changing out your brake pads. Go with ones that create less dust on your wheels. There are several threads here on the forum about them. One of the first mods I performed.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:41 AM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
In regard to Xpel and similar materials, you can repair A LOT of rock chips for the approx $2500 full application costs.
That is definitely a fair analysis, Kevin. However, I wonder what such a repair would look like. Are you talking about simply touching up? Are you talking about repainting an entire panel? From what I have read, the new paint facility at the Corvette plant is truly state-of-the-art. I doubt we will be able to get close to the same type of finish from an auto body shop as we can get from the factory.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (07-30-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To "Must have" Accessories?

Old 07-28-2018, 11:55 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy Vetting
Thank you Jon.

With respect to a Stingray versus a GS, is there any protection that comes from skirts and splitters? Or is it just aesthetics?
I have a Stingray with 72,000 miles on it. No splitter or side skirts. And....no chips. The only marks I have on the car are on the plastic film in front of the rear tires. I have 3M clear bra and I can see where stones have it that area, but only marred the film and didn't go to the paint.
On a Grand Sport you will have to provide good protection of one kind or another. That rear brake vent in front of the rear wheels takes a pounding. My son has his Z06 in my garage and if I look at that vent it is all pocked with chips even though he has side skirts that came with the car. There are snap on protectors you can purchase to protect those vents. He has 17,000 miles on the car and the front end is chipped. If he would have had a clear bra there would not be any chips. He and I drive well behind other cars, but that isn't good enough under some circumstances.

The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (07-30-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:07 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 310 Likes on 202 Posts

One of the best "Bang for the Buck" for me was the little shelf thingy for the hidden compartment behind the radio face. It makes it useable for holding more than 2 items.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by Heavy Vetting
That is definitely a fair analysis, Kevin. However, I wonder what such a repair would look like. Are you talking about simply touching up? Are you talking about repainting an entire panel? From what I have read, the new paint facility at the Corvette plant is truly state-of-the-art. I doubt we will be able to get close to the same type of finish from an auto body shop as we can get from the factory.
I believe there's quite a bit of hysteria here on the subject of protectant / stone chip/damage etc.. If you use common sense and don't drive like a maniac you shouldn't get much if any noticeable damaged that can't be easily touched-up, especially if you have side skirts and splash guards.

Quick Reply: "Must have" Accessories?