Cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 PM
jodfit
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Cooling system issue

So, I'm in some stop and go traffic today, more go slow than stop, (Charleston SC) so about 90ish out, all of the sudden I'm noticing the cabin is heating up, becoming more humid inside which didn't actually concern me very much until I looked down and saw the temp gauge in the red. I started looking for a place to pull over when all of the sudden the a/c started blowing ARCTIC cold and the temp started coming down. Sounds like a cooling fan issue to me, but here's the thing: In the last few weeks I've noticed that after I park the car and shut it off the fan will run for several minutes. but after this episode today, when I got to my destination and parked, the fan did not run. I was meeting a friend for dinner so I had to drive it home just now and everything seems fine, and again the fan did not run after the engine was cut off. Just a freak thing? Has anyone else had something like this happen? I seems the fan lost it's mind as to when be on or off. Sorry so wordy...
Sorry! 2014 Z51 M7

Last edited by jodfit; 07-30-2018 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Out of practice.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:53 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Sorry to read about your over heating issue. If you do a search on this C7 problem you will find this issue in 2014’s and early 2015’s. Are you the original owner? Some fixes include new coolant cap or water pump replacement. I have the overheating issue that occurs like yours, driving at a fast speed and then slowing down due to congestion or road construction. But my car only does it once a year, late April and into May. My 2015 has been back at the dealer twice for this problem (problem was never duplicated as it has happened 4 years in a row). The last time was this past May after driving I-85 south from Durham, NC to Concord, NC where I ran into slow moving traffic due to road construction. Before I came to a stop the air coming from the vents was not cold and smelled stale. I looked down at the temp. gauge and saw it stating to rise to 230F (my car never runs this hot normally, never). So I do what some have done, with the car stopped turn off the AC and shut off the engine and count to ten and re-start the car. I suddenly hear the noise of cooling fan and engine temp. starts to go back to normal. I turn the AC back on and everything is back to normal. So my problem is the cooling fan not working properly and no one can tell me why this happens.
The following users liked this post:
jodfit (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:14 PM
jodfit
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

It sounds like the same issue, I had just come off the interstate before this happened. I am not the original owner, the car had 17k on it when I bought it, previously owned by someone in Charlotte. Thank you for your insight.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:22 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

It is correct on the 2014 & early 2015 but you need to always keep a eye on your gauge's. Plus your fans should per say always come on for even no more than a few min's in the hot weather. They come on at about 190 & should kick off at around 210. If they didnt do this put you front end of the car at a small angle up higher then the rear. Then start the car take off the rad cap with the A/C ON FULL, then let it get to running temp & watch the water start to cycle thur the system. Then fill it to the top full it could be a little low & got a small air pocket in the system on you. If by chance this is the chase that will remove it for you but make sure you also watch the temp gauge inside the car when you do this also.. Robert
The following users liked this post:
jodfit (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:05 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

It's your fan controller. Happened to me recently. Would run on the highway for a while where the fan wouldn't be on then come to a stop exiting the highway and the temps would climb and the fan would be off. If I turned the car off and back on the fan would start back up or if I opened the hood and smacked the back of the fan it would come on. Turns out the capacitors in the fan motor had died and there wasn't enough juice to start the fan spinning. New fan from GM has been working perfectly.
The following 2 users liked this post by subieworx:
HAD2HAV2 (07-31-2018), jodfit (07-31-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling system issue

Quick Reply: Cooling system issue