Are catch cans necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 08:09 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^

Fortunately some of the 600+ folks who have viewed this Tread as of this post are more technically curious and care about the technical issues than others! For some folks, if it gets past a two line Twitter statement that can't digest it!

I mostly post for that silent majority rather than the ~20 vocal minority (like myself) who have posted on this one!
That's why the total view count starts ripping higher once you start posting !
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 11:14 AM
VaydorVette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

There's no down-side to adding a Catch Can.

I thoroughly enjoy the satisfaction of periodically draining the gunk that collects in the can.. all of that crap has been kept off the top of the my engine.
This gunk gets recycled.
Catch Cans aren't THAT expensive.

For those of us that have no problem going the extra mile to maintain our cars better, adding an Oil Catch Can is a no-brainer.

All good stuff.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Glad it makes you feel better. That makes you the perfect candidate for one, but your first sentence is not accurate. If your car is ever in for engine issues requiring potential warranty repair, you don't want GM finding a catch can. They are on record as saying they are not approved and can cause a powertrain warranty block.

The plan of most catch canners is to remove them should an engine issue arise, which is rather disingenuous, but I'm honest to a fault.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-10-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM
VaydorVette1
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Glad it makes you feel better. That makes you the perfect candidate for one..
It does. It really really does.

This guy I know, said that whenever he exposed the intake Throttle Body's (removing the air box n' tubes) he noticed a small trail of oil running down the center of the Throttle Body's.
He added an Oil Catch Can and the oil trail went away. That was a good thing. Made him feel better too.

Originally Posted by Foosh
...but your first sentence is not accurate. If your car is ever in for engine issues requiring potential warranty repair, you don't want GM finding a catch can. They are on record as saying they are not approved and can cause a powertrain warranty block. The plan of most catch canners is to remove them should an engine issue arise, which is rather disingenuous, but I'm honest to a fault.
Oh I don't mind. 2 hoses and a bracket and it's back to stock. Takes all of 7 minutes. No big whoop.

N' hey there is nothing wrong with being 'honest to a fault'. No doubt we need more folks like you in this world.
IMHO, it's disingenuous of the auto manufacturers to take such a position on the matter.

I've read your detailed posts on this subject and I appreciate your application of the Scientific Method.
I would completely agree with you if my catch can was bone dry every time I opened it. But it's not, there's liquidy gunk in there.

Peace Brother!
Orange and Black!

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (08-11-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 11:04 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Well, the whole "remove the can before warranty" work is technically fraud, but who am I to judge? Just because its easy, doesnt mean its right.

Quick Reply: Are catch cans necessary?