Sponsored by:

Lost part of my air dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 12:59 PM
Mulligandog
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lost part of my air dam

2014 Stingray. I was coming home this weekend and noticed a flat black piece of plastic in the driveway...it was the large part of the three piece air dam. I still have the two smaller side pieces attached. I was wondering what others have done in this situation (I can't be the first...). I was thinking of removing the two small parts (I feel like my car looks like a hockey player missing his front teeth...) and getting a Stage 1 splitter from GM. I've read where the Z51s didn't even come with the air dams so I'm assuming it'd be ok not to replace it. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:01 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Happened to me on a trip. I just cut it off with a sharp knife. It does not need to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Mulligandog (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:07 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulligandog
2014 Stingray. I was coming home this weekend and noticed a flat black piece of plastic in the driveway...it was the large part of the three piece air dam. I still have the two smaller side pieces attached. I was wondering what others have done in this situation (I can't be the first...). I was thinking of removing the two small parts (I feel like my car looks like a hockey player missing his front teeth...) and getting a Stage 1 splitter from GM. I've read where the Z51s didn't even come with the air dams so I'm assuming it'd be ok not to replace it. Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Z51 is only missing the center section. It does have the outer pieces. So.... upgrade.... technically?
Mulligandog (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Mulligandog
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LbulletM
Z51 is only missing the center section. It does have the outer pieces. So.... upgrade.... technically?
I like this perspective!
LbulletM (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 PM
PeteC7
Pro

Received 214 Likes on 157 Posts

The GS has it so that's interesting that the Z51's didn't. Not sure how mine got halfway torn but I was stopped when waiting on the grid and hopped out with my helmet still on and ripped it all the way off (which was surprisingly easy). It was only a $45 part from Cultrag so I replaced it. Mostly because I track my car a lot and it's up on a lift on a monthly basis. GM didn't include it for no reason so I figure it has some minor aero purpose. If I just drove on the street I wouldn't have bothered with the hassle though.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:03 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Z51s missing the center piece of the air dam. But Z51s do have another plastic shield behind the missing piece to protect harmonic balance and engine front.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:07 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulligandog
I believe John Llewellyn has what's left of a three piece set I bought. I only used the left side short portion, I gave the other two pieces (Center and driver's side) to John.

865-604-0498
Old 08-13-2018, 03:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someone previously posted that the Z51 was originally supposed to have all 3 pieces up front, but high speed testing revealed that the center piece was so effective in eliminating lift, that the rear of the car would get lighter at speed and could produce oversteer. So GM deleted the center piece on the Z51.
Apparently the problem doesn't show up on the base Stingray, which surprises me. The GS/Z06 have enough other aero pieces that it's not an issue for them either.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Replace it, GM didn't spend money to put it there just to spend money. The part is designed to be replaced now and then as it wears and is fairly easy to replace. The people that tell you not to replace it can't technically justify why it shouldn't be replaced.

Bill
The following 3 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
JerryU (08-25-2018), jimmie jam (08-25-2018), joemessman (08-25-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 04:26 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

My center air dam tore at the first attachment point on the left (direction as you are sitting in the car), so I epoxied some hard rubber to cover the tear (after taking the whole thing off first of course). Heck these things are hanging by 4-5 (don't remember) rubber tabs. They tear. But that only lasted about 3 months and then that tab, and another one on the left tore. Then I replaced the hard rubber with a bent piece of thin metal, and epoxied that, and it seems to work better.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:29 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Replace it, GM didn't spend money to put it there just to spend money. The part is designed to be replaced now and then as it wears and is fairly easy to replace. The people that tell you not to replace it can't technically justify why it shouldn't be replaced.
Regardless, apparently many people do not. Here's the thread from when I asked the same question myself: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ous-or-no.html

Mulligandog (08-14-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 06:49 PM
123vette456
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 90 Posts

This is what Gorilla tape is for. Use it till it tears again and then replace. And on and on and on.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:32 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Z51s missing the center piece of the air dam. But Z51s do have another plastic shield behind the missing piece to protect harmonic balance and engine front.
Huh.....?? Do you have photos of this?
​​​​​​​
Explain this one more fully, please?
Old 08-24-2018, 07:26 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Huh.....?? Do you have photos of this?

Explain this one more fully, please?
Sorry for the delay. I was on a trip.

These are 2 pictures I took from undercarriage of two 2014 non-Z51 Stingrays.

Here are 2 pictures from Z51 undercarriage. Please compare. You will see the plastic cover (harmonic balancer shield). Please ignore yellow arrow (downloaded pictures)

​​​​​​​
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Replaced mine today - took about 15 minutes
Chevrolet GM OEM 14-16 Corvette Front Bumper Grille-Lower Deflector 22799212

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-26-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Mulligandog (08-29-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 06:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Yep air dams have several purposes. One is to reduce drag by having less air go under the car hitting suspension, engine parts, etc that create turbulence. That is why the Chevy Volt has a large one per GM, to increase range!

Second, at high speeds it creates front downforce. In fact that is why it was eliminated from the Z51 and why I have followed this issue since I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51. GM said it was supposed to have one and in last minute testing it was eliminated. Since my C6 Z51 had one, wondered why. Lots of speculation and some marketing speak but a statement in an October 2013 article about the C7 aero from the GM Chief aerodynamicist was intriguing so have followed this issue closely. He said, ”it was removed for high speed stability,” but no detail. Followed the statements made by GM folks until in a video Tadge several years later stated the increased front downforce the center air dam caused excess downforce that created oversteer at high speed and they have a requirment of the balance being understeer! That was followed with others that reinforce the statement. Have them all documented in the attached PDF.

We old Corvair owner’s know all about high speed oversteer (as well as Porsche’s of the era!). No way could a Vette get that much oversteer but can understand the issue. My modified Corvair with many additions, 14 inch wider wheels/tires, headers etc and was fun to drive if you were carefull and could anticipate oversteer and correct essentially before it happened like a dirt track car! Most who owned them did not even follow the 16 psi recommended front tire pressure that reduced but no way eliminated oversteer.

First, it’s not as simple as to which C7s currently have or don’t have a center air dam! No Z51 has one nor does my Grant Sport with the Stage 2 aero option (same with the Z06 with that option and some others.). GM has a Chart for dealers that shows which C7s should have the various aero parts; air dams (side and center,) splitters, side skirts (short and long,) and rear spoiler size and extra’s like wickers.

If you want to follow the detailed GM C7 statements over the years re air dams or see that chart I refer to etc, have detailed that in the PDF listed below. Aero is complex and GM spends a lot of wind tunnel and computer aero simulation time defining what is best in each situation.

As mentioned, I have been following this issue since I got my Speptember 2013 built C7 Z51 and was determined to get the real answer that is now clear!
http://netwelding.com/Air_Dam.pdf

PS: I keep the side air dams on Grand Sport as they help deflect air around the front tires as GM designed AND provide a third function on a C7! When they scrape, as they do if I leave my driveway fast (unlike my C6 Z51 which scared almost all the time) they provide an early warning that the next thing to scrape will be the aluminum “skid pads.” For those that have hit those, the sound of the plastic air dam scraping is like music compared to aluminum scraping on pavement!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-25-2018 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
That is an aero piece to reduce undercar air turbulence! It was not added to protect the harmonic balancer.

In fact part of my added rear diffuser includes a larger similar part that helps guide the air after the rear suspension out from under the car. That also helps reduce turbulence and air drag.

Note, I added the rear diffuser for appearance as they become effective for increase in downforce only at high speed.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost part of my air dam

Old 08-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Lonegun
Advanced

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I hit a branch in the road yesterday.....
Old 08-26-2018, 03:24 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Lonegun
I hit a branch in the road yesterday.....
Easy replacement, 7mm socket, short extension and about 15 minutes' work
Chevrolet GM OEM 14-16 Corvette Front Bumper Grille-Lower Deflector 22799212

Last edited by jimmbbo; 08-26-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep air dams have several purposes. One is to reduce drag by having less air go under the car hitting suspension, engine parts, etc that create turbulence. That is why the Chevy Volt has a large one per GM, to increase range!

Second, at high speeds it creates front downforce. In fact that is why it was eliminated from the Z51 and why I have followed this issue since I got my September 2013 built C7 Z51. GM said it was supposed to have one and in last minute testing it was eliminated. Since my C6 Z51 had one, wondered why. Lots of speculation and some marketing speak but a statement in an October 2013 article about the C7 aero from the GM Chief aerodynamicist was intriguing so have followed this issue closely. He said, ”it was removed for high speed stability,” but no detail. Followed the statements made by GM folks until in a video Tadge several years later stated the increased front downforce the center air dam caused excess downforce that created oversteer at high speed and they have a requirment of the balance being understeer! That was followed with others that reinforce the statement. Have them all documented in the attached PDF.

We old Corvair owner’s know all about high speed oversteer (as well as Porsche’s of the era!). No way could a Vette get that much oversteer but can understand the issue. My modified Corvair with many additions, 14 inch wider wheels/tires, headers etc and was fun to drive if you were carefull and could anticipate oversteer and correct essentially before it happened like a dirt track car! Most who owned them did not even follow the 16 psi recommended front tire pressure that reduced but no way eliminated oversteer.

First, it’s not as simple as to which C7s currently have or don’t have a center air dam! No Z51 has one nor does my Grant Sport with the Stage 2 aero option (same with the Z06 with that option and some others.). GM has a Chart for dealers that shows which C7s should have the various aero parts; air dams (side and center,) splitters, side skirts (short and long,) and rear spoiler size and extra’s like wickers.

If you want to follow the detailed GM C7 statements over the years re air dams or see that chart I refer to etc, have detailed that in the PDF listed below. Aero is complex and GM spends a lot of wind tunnel and computer aero simulation time defining what is best in each situation.

As mentioned, I have been following this issue since I got my Speptember 2013 built C7 Z51 and was determined to get the real answer that is now clear!
http://netwelding.com/Air_Dam.pdf

PS: I keep the side air dams on Grand Sport as they help deflect air around the front tires as GM designed AND provide a third function on a C7! When they scrape, as they do if I leave my driveway fast (unlike my C6 Z51 which scared almost all the time) they provide an early warning that the next thing to scrape will be the aluminum “skid pads.” For those that have hit those, the sound of the plastic air dam scraping is like music compared to aluminum scraping on pavement!
When I clicked on that link, Windows Defender blocked it as unsafe.

Quick Reply: Lost part of my air dam