Sponsored by:

Summer vs. all season tires question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 PM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Summer vs. all season tires question

Hey guys, I have a '16 z51. I put Michelin A/S 3 on the car when I first got it because it was February in Philly and I could barely get around on the tires it came with in the cold. Now I live in California and it's time for new tires. I plan to move back to Philly in the summer, but I will also likely be getting an old SUV for winter driving when I get back there anyway. Debating if I should get another set of all seasons or if I should get summer tires or something in between. The guy I spoke with on Discount Tire Direct (they are always awesome, by the way) mentioned that summer performance tires are unsafe in the rain -- if that's the case, it may lead me away from them only because I do want to be able to drive it in the rain when I am back in Philly...after all, it rains a fair amount.

I appreciate your thoughts!
Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 AM
Rohey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by i3eezenotch
Hey guys, I have a '16 z51. I put Michelin A/S 3 on the car when I first got it because it was February in Philly and I could barely get around on the tires it came with in the cold. Now I live in California and it's time for new tires. I plan to move back to Philly in the summer, but I will also likely be getting an old SUV for winter driving when I get back there anyway. Debating if I should get another set of all seasons or if I should get summer tires or something in between. The guy I spoke with on Discount Tire Direct (they are always awesome, by the way) mentioned that summer performance tires are unsafe in the rain -- if that's the case, it may lead me away from them only because I do want to be able to drive it in the rain when I am back in Philly...after all, it rains a fair amount.

I appreciate your thoughts!
I am surprised they said that as most summer tires are actually better in the rain than A/S. Its the cold snow and ice where the A/S excel . My C7 is my daily driver in Washington for 8 months of the year and it rains "a little" in Seattle. However once it gets cold and nasty I switch over to the 4X4 truck for the daily driver . So I think your SUV idea of the philly winters is a good one.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Default AS/3 Michelins

What I would keep buying.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 AM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rohey
I am surprised they said that as most summer tires are actually better in the rain than A/S. Its the cold snow and ice where the A/S excel . My C7 is my daily driver in Washington for 8 months of the year and it rains "a little" in Seattle. However once it gets cold and nasty I switch over to the 4X4 truck for the daily driver . So I think your SUV idea of the philly winters is a good one.

that is also what I always thought. Need to do some more research. Though I do remember the sports being a rougher ride. The 405 here in LA is very bumpy and vibrates a lot lol
Old 08-15-2018, 12:24 AM
i3eezenotch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What I would keep buying.

can you elaborate please?
Old 08-15-2018, 02:27 AM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

Buy the summer tires. If you get caught in the rain, just put the car in weather mode. The car will pull throttle before you can get in trouble.
The following users liked this post:
blue max (08-18-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 07:24 AM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Stay with the AS/ Michelins. JMO, but I think back in Philly, I'm pretty sure the AS tires will overall be a better choice for year round driving.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Kenafin
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will notice a traction difference with the all seasons. They don't grip like the summer only's...even in warm weather and have their nuisances to them. Here's my take on both having run both tires now in a climate similar to Philly (just south in Baltimore)

Summer Only: won't use if temps are below 40, traction gets better once temps get into 50's and warmer. As far as rain, put the car in weather mode and it isn't an issue unless it is really really a monsoon or the tires are on their last leg.

All season: Definitely give up traction to the summer only, don't have to worry about outside temp. If the roads are good and clear in the winter the car can come out. Sweet spot for traction seems to be between 40 degrees and 70 degrees. Once it gets warmer than 70 they feel like they want to slip (odd but that is what I'm feeling). Do fine in rain but don't like weather mode - they got squirrelly in the rain in weather mode. I normally run in sport mode and they're fine in the rain in sport mode. You do give up cornering with them compared to the summer only but that is because of the grip.

I have some time before I'll need another set of tires...I'm debating what I'm going to do. I like that I don't have to worry about what the temperature is and if I want to drive my car on a good day in December I can but I miss some of the grip and traction that I gave up with the summer only tires.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The Discount Tire guy was either uninformed or over-generalizing. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires, the OEM PSS, which I run May-October, and the AS3+ during the colder 6 months. Obviously, I get a good back-to-back comparison, and there are a lot of transition days where it's cold w/ the PSS and hot with the AS3+ There's plenty of rain in both.

My Conclusions:

1) Except for track work, the AS3+ is as capable on the street as the PSS in rain and every other driving condition, but the AS3+ is somewhat better in the rain. Rain is often associated w/ cooler temps where the AS3+ is superior.
2) The AS3+ is vastly superior in temps below 60º.
3) The PSS has a slight grip edge in very hot temps, but the AS3+ is nearly equal in normal street use, with most not noticing the difference.
4) If I was only going to buy one set of tires for street use, I'd go with the AS3+ exclusively, and I will not replace my PSS when they wear out.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-15-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:08 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Foosh, I respect your opinion (and Joe's not in the least). Would you say that in all warm weather dry conditions you would not be able to tell the difference between the AS3+ and the OEM PSS? Ultimate grip, turn-in response, etc. for an aggressive (when traffic and conditions warrant it, very aggressive) driver. I am now interested in the AS3+ tires but only if there is ZERO compromise. I don't care about cooler conditions as I have winter tires.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I live in SW Florida where when it rains, it rains and I have Summer Tires and there's no problem. In fact 2 years ago I drove from my house to 30 miles north of Philly by the western route out to Carlisle and east on 76 all thru torrential rain from Hurricane Matthew with no problems. And I did put in in the "weather mode" and my Stingray performed w/o any problems.
Birdy46 (09-28-2019)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:23 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Woodson
Foosh, I respect your opinion (and Joe's not in the least). Would you say that in all warm weather dry conditions you would not be able to tell the difference between the AS3+ and the OEM PSS? Ultimate grip, turn-in response, etc. for an aggressive (when traffic and conditions warrant it, very aggressive) driver. I am now interested in the AS3+ tires but only if there is ZERO compromise. I don't care about cooler conditions as I have winter tires.
Woodson,

For VERY aggressive street driving, you'd likely find the PSS better in all the areas you list above, but ONLY when pavement temps are 80º+. However, the difference is much closer than I would have expected. I have been surprised at how good the AS3+ is in hot temps as well.

I'm not going to be tracking my convertible, so I don't feel like I'd be giving up much, if anything. I also enjoy aggressive street driving in suitable situations, particularly on twisty country 2-lane highways with little or no traffic. I've been surprised how good the AS3+ is, even on 90-100º summer days.

The bottom line is I can't guarantee you zero compromise on hot pavement, but I think you'd be giving up less than 5%. What you're gaining other times of year is also significant.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-15-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Woodson (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
The Discount Tire guy was either uninformed or over-generalizing. I have 2 sets of wheels and tires, the OEM PSS, which I run May-October, and the AS3+ during the colder 6 months. Obviously, I get a good back-to-back comparison, and there are are a lot of transition days where it's cold w/ the PSS and hot with the AS3+ There's plenty of rain in both.

My Conclusions:

1) Except for track work, the AS3+ is as capable on the street as the PSS in rain and every other driving condition, but the AS3+ is somewhat better in the rain. Rain is often associated w/ cooler temps where the AS3+ is superior.
2) The AS3+ is vastly superior in temps below 60º.
3) The PSS has a slight grip edge in very hot temps, but the AS3+ is nearly equal in normal street use, with most not noticing the difference.
4) If I was only going to buy one set of tires for street use, I'd go with the AS3+ exclusively, and I will not replace my PSS when they wear out.
I agree with what you’ve said and was prepared to let go of my original PSS set, but then a funny thing happened this summer. Each of my rear tires had flats and were replaced with new tires (wheel & tire insurance! Get it if you don’t have it). So just when I was ready to keep my AS3+ on all year round I have half a new set of PSS. My fronts have another summer left in them so after this year’s Halloween swap, we’ll do it again next April/May. With either set, the difference on the street is negligible. If you’re driving on the track, PSS hands down. For what it’s worth, we were told at Spring Mountain PSS is even preferred over the Cup tires because of their durability. PSS is a great tire, but for year round street driving, particularly in cold weather states, the AS3+ is the way to go.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:52 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

My son has a new Camero SS and reports that the summer tires are hydro planning at 70 mph in the rain.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

My latest back-to-back comparison was on my new C7 delivered in Feb. I drove it home from the dealership on a frigid day, and immediately put on the AS3+ set. So I'm comparing a brand new set of PSS w/ a set of AS3+ w/ 6K miles on them that I've run for 2 seasons.

Originally Posted by orca1946
My son has a new Camero SS and reports that the summer tires are hydro planning at 70 mph in the rain.
Any relatively wide tire is going to hydroplane at 70 mph. Suggest to your son that he needs to slow down in heavy rain and when water pools on the pavement.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-15-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I won't comment on the All Season but I will say the comments about the Michelin PSS ZP summer tire are somewhat off base. The tires work in cold weather. They may not have as much initial grip on a cold dry day but they will have enough grip. The driver makes the difference not the tire. I took delivery of my Z07 with Cup2 tires on a night when the temps were in the low 40s and drove it 167 miles home in a downpour. No slips, slides or traction issues. I drove at speeds from 65 to 75 mph with the Drive Mode set in Weather and the wipers set on the fastest setting. I currently have PSS ZP tires on the car and they are my track rain tires if I decide to drive in the rain while at a Track Event.

Bill
Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Perhaps Bill, but the essence of this discussion is that the AS3+ has substantially more grip on cold pavement. I have plenty of experience to support that statement based upon many miles in many seasons on both sets. Thus, I am able to enjoy the car year- round to a much greater extent and drive it normally in cold weather with a greater margin of safety.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-15-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Summer vs. all season tires question

Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

OP, Absolutely. ....
The All Seasons, are truly All Seasons. If you're budget minded and don't intend to street race or track race the car, you'll never need the Summer only stock tires. If you're intent on street racing your car, then yes, Summer only tires should be employed in the warmer temperatures. They're going to be safer, because they'll give you greater grip when racing. It just depends on how you want your car to perform.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

I honestly don't understand people not putting all season tires on their cars. I am willing to bet that 99.5% of the people out there can't out drive all season tires under any street circumstances.

Racing is a different story, but on the street, nope, they can't do it. So why take the chance of having a "summer" tire on and find even one situation where they aren't the best tire for the circumstances?

I think much of this tire issue is pure ego. The "parnelli granatelli" mentality that one must be prepared to run 185MPH at a minutes notice.
Foosh (08-15-2018)
Old 08-15-2018, 02:54 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

It's not about out -driving the all season tires. It's about feel. I don't like tire squirm, lazy turn-in, etc.

Quick Reply: Summer vs. all season tires question