Tire Install Cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 04:39 PM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Tire Install Cost

What do you all see out there for installation (mount / balance) cost at a dealer if you use tires from Tire Rack? I know the dealer wants to sell you the tires so I fear they will hit me hard to install "my" tires.
Old 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM
Thompyt
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Last time I had Wide wheel tires changed it was @ $120 at Discount tires.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Buy from Discounttiredirect.com and have them shipped to your Discount Tire Store...
Or Discount Tire store will price match their online store... Either way it is always much cheaper than Tire Rack.

I usually pay 66.00 with lifetime balance.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:18 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

$29 per tire at Discount Tires. Are you sure Tire Rack is significantly cheaper than Discount Tires?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:42 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mschuyler
$29 per tire at Discount Tires.
This. No way I'd take my car (any of them) to a dealer to install tires.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:47 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

My dealer just charges a flat $100 for 4 tires, and will match prices on the tires...
Still almost $1500 last time I checked.

I went by Discount Tire to see if they had any new machines for run flat tires, and they referred me to the dealer saying that they had a new touchless machine. Still a pain to change but maybe less chance of operator error.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:52 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by aerobaticflyer
What do you all see out there for installation (mount / balance) cost at a dealer if you use tires from Tire Rack? I know the dealer wants to sell you the tires so I fear they will hit me hard to install "my" tires.
Tire Rack has its own installer network. Check their web site. You may then have to check with the installer.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 08-23-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:40 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Discount just gave me a quote at their shop for 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ of $942.00. I assumed that included install but now I'm thinking not. I'll find out tomorrow when I go in to order them and pay. Why did Chevy have to put summer only performance tires on these cars? I bet 90% of buyers would rather have a good all season performance tire as OEM. Nothing like getting new tires on a new car lol....
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (09-01-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 10:05 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

I just paid $270 for mounting all 4, road force balance and a 4 wheel alignment to my spec. The alignment part is highly recommended if you are going with the new skins. I used one of the Tire Rack recommended installers. You should get installer options during the check out online. Warning: Due diligence when finding the right folks in your area to complete the work properly. With my past experience, Discount Tire is a hit or miss risk I am not willing to take anymore, especially with my size wheels. 2017 GS
Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 AM
kitesurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by montanaman
Discount just gave me a quote at their shop for 4 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ of $942.00. I assumed that included install but now I'm thinking not. I'll find out tomorrow when I go in to order them and pay. Why did Chevy have to put summer only performance tires on these cars? I bet 90% of buyers would rather have a good all season performance tire as OEM. Nothing like getting new tires on a new car lol....
that quoted me 1331 for the same tire but ZP installed for the set. includes rotation and balancing forever.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:14 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used Discount Tire for my other vehicles but a little concerned that they may not be up to the task for these wheels / tires. Some of the "techs" are real flunkies based on what I've observed. I was thinking my local dealer that does a lot of Vette work would provide for the least chance of a "oops" during the mounting process. They show $250 to mount tires they sell which is high and I expect it to be higher if I supply the tires (they lose the sale). I have no issue with paying more for competency. The Tire Rack recommended installers are not dealers so I have the same concerns as I have with DT.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:18 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I would be more concerned that they have the proper machine and people to do it rather than cost. Some places will tell you sure they can do it and then scratch up your rims.

I found a local tire shop that specializes in low profile tires and has a touchless Corghi machine. $40 a tire with balance. They did a good job. They were recommended by a Chevy dealer who was too scared to do it. This was a 335 PSS zp.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 08-24-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Maxie2U (09-01-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I have used Discount Tire for my other vehicles but a little concerned that they may not be up to the task for these wheels / tires. Some of the "techs" are real flunkies based on what I've observed. I was thinking my local dealer that does a lot of Vette work would provide for the least chance of a "oops" during the mounting process. They show $250 to mount tires they sell which is high and I expect it to be higher if I supply the tires (they lose the sale). I have no issue with paying more for competency. The Tire Rack recommended installers are not dealers so I have the same concerns as I have with DT.
Just because they're generally young doesn't make them "flunkies." Discount Tire does one thing, tires. Dealers do lots of things, and I suspect the number of tires they mount is miniscule compared to Discount Tires. So, do you want someone doing it that does it all the time, or someone who might do it occasionally? My answer is easy. YMMV.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:25 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Road Force balance

Road Force Balance them

Old 08-24-2018, 11:17 AM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Man I thought I had done plenty of research before buying my C7. In the hours/days I spent on-line I missed the part about the OEM tires not being any good at temps below 40 degrees ( some here say they are no good below 60 degrees) and the need to get a new set of tires almost immediately. Had I known I would have continued to grind the dealer for more money off what I paid. I've only driven my car for 600 miles and the OEM tires pick up every single pebble on the road and sling them all over making a lot of undesirable noise and potential damage to the car. Not good. And now I have to roll the dice on my very expensive satin black wheels as I'm spending another grand on a new car? Should have done even more research.
Maxie2U (09-01-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:33 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by montanaman
Man I thought I had done plenty of research before buying my C7. In the hours/days I spent on-line I missed the part about the OEM tires not being any good at temps below 40 degrees ( some here say they are no good below 60 degrees) and the need to get a new set of tires almost immediately. Had I known I would have continued to grind the dealer for more money off what I paid. I've only driven my car for 600 miles and the OEM tires pick up every single pebble on the road and sling them all over making a lot of undesirable noise and potential damage to the car. Not good. And now I have to roll the dice on my very expensive satin black wheels as I'm spending another grand on a new car? Should have done even more research.
Cold damp roads are the best!

Michelin AS3+ should have been on the car from the factory. Most of us will never race or track the car, so PSS is just a waste.
Michelin, probably gave GM a great deal to install their tires. Much like Goodyear did with the C6 with the crappy F1's.
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Just because they're generally young doesn't make them "flunkies." Discount Tire does one thing, tires. Dealers do lots of things, and I suspect the number of tires they mount is miniscule compared to Discount Tires. So, do you want someone doing it that does it all the time, or someone who might do it occasionally? My answer is easy. YMMV.
I didn't reference their age at all......and don't see that as an issue...it's the frequent turnover and their lackadaisical manner I have observed that makes me conclude they may be less than competent, experienced tire installers.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Install Cost

Old 08-24-2018, 11:50 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

I just compared TireRack to Discount Tire for my car.
Tire Rack is cheaper - 937.88
Discounttiredirect.com - 938.00

However. You get 50.00 for getting or using a Discount Tire credit card. I do the credit card and just pay it off when the bill comes. Free money is free money.
Also when you order on a holiday weekend there are usually addition rebates from 60.00 to 300.00.
I don't see any rebates for buying Michelin's on the TireRack website.

I always wait for a holiday.
Labor Day is coming.

When I did my truck, I bout wheels and tires and got a 300.00 rebate. They were the cheapest for the BFG K02 and the wheels I wanted.
They were mounted and balanced then shipped to the house all I had to do was install them.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I have used Discount Tire for my other vehicles but a little concerned thhat they may not be up to the task for these wheels / tires. Some of the "techs" are real flunkies based on what I've observed. I was thinking my local dealer that does a lot of Vette work would provide for the least chance of a "oops" during the mounting process. They show $250 to mount tires they sell which is high and I expect it to be higher if I supply the tires (they lose the sale). I have no issue with paying more for competency. The Tire Rack recommended installers are not dealers so I have the same concerns as I have with DT.
Maybe it depends on the area. In mine others send their corvettes to Discount Tire precisely because they have the touchless system and know about lifting pucks. And as per immediately above I just bought a full set of Michelins and got a $75 rebate. It's directly from Michelin, though, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be available everywhere--unless the dealer is absorbing it for themselves or something. Also, their "manner" is the opposite of lackadasial. I would call it "earnest." They bend over backwards to please and seem quite competent to me. Of course, that could also be a local thing and not universal for DT. I only have one store to compare.

Last edited by mschuyler; 08-24-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Steve_R (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

My experience with Discount Tire is similar to mschuyler's. The local one here even has their own jacking pucks and know how to use them. I trust them and wouldn't consider having any dealer install tires since they either do it rarely or send them out to a tire store.

Quick Reply: Tire Install Cost