Sponsored by:

Took my GS out to the drag strip

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:52 AM
GrandSport223
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Took my GS out to the drag strip

Very first time racing at a drag strip. Didn't go very well. It was just test and tune day so no actual racing. My very first pass I thought I would try to run with traction control off. Big mistake! Right off the line from 1st to 2nd, the car got really Squirrley on me and she went all over the place. 2nd pass put the traction control back on. Big improvement for handling down the track. This track was slippery. 1st 2nd just spins and brakes lose... then finally get traction.

Last edited by GrandSport223; 09-03-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

At least two or three times I went from 2nd into 5th! I don't like this seven speed gear box. Gears are way to stiff and to close together. Between my inexperience drag racing, slippery track, trying to get my speed shifting down, my best time only 5 passes, ET was 13.70 105 MPH. My best run and a 2016 Ford Mustsng GT beat me by at least two or three car lengths... that sucked..,, but he also got a good start. My biggest fear was blowing a clutch or something. I don't have five or six grand to spend on that.

If if I was better and way more aggressive on the speed shifting and beat the hell out of the car, I'm sure low 13's or mid 12's I could have done. In a way I'm glad I did shut down. A guy with a C6 Convertible with a supercharger and racing drag slick tires either blew his tranny or differentials off the line... ouch! That's drag racing. 😎
Old 09-03-2018, 12:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Drag strip and "I don't have five or six grand to spend", don't mix. Drag strip action is russian roulette with cars. I've been there a couple of times and didn't lose the RR game. I won't be going back except to watch the others drive to glory!

Elmer
Old 09-03-2018, 12:14 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

You may not have had good times, but you sure look good! Good looking car.
The following users liked this post:
s n v f f (09-10-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 12:30 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

I am a waxer.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:20 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport223
At least two or three times I went from 2nd into 5th! I don't like this seven speed gear box. Gears are way to stiff and to close together. Between my inexperience drag racing, slippery track, trying to get my speed shifting down, my best time only 5 passes, ET was 13.70 105 MPH. My best run and a 2016 Ford Mustsng GT beat me by at least two or three car lengths... that sucked..,, but he also got a good start. My biggest fear was blowing a clutch or something. I don't have five or six grand to spend on that.

If if I was better and way more aggressive on the speed shifting and beat the hell out of the car, I'm sure low 13's or mid 12's I could have done. In a way I'm glad I did shut down. A guy with a C6 Convertible with a supercharger and racing drag slick tires either blew his tranny or differentials off the line... ouch! That's drag racing. ��

You did fine for the first time on a drag strip....you also showed up with a manual car and that makes the learning the basics that much harder.

The fact is drag racing is not easy ( especially in a manual trans ) and to get "good times" or extract your cars max potential on a couple passes aint gonna happen.... it takes ALOT of practice and the more power you make the more skill and understanding you'll need of track conditions & how things work together on your car

Last edited by 65fastback; 09-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:00 PM
FLC6GS
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I am a waxer.
for the $$$$ reason you stated GrandSport223
Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Yea I agree. My Dad's a mechanic and he was there. He kept discouraging me not to run my car down the track. That didn't help matters. I was pretty nervous to. But after you go down the track then it's like hell let's do that again!

I find on these cars first gear is really useless and some people suggested I should start off in second gear off the line which I think might have helped better with the traction issues? But that's how you burn your clutch out isn't it?

QUOTE=65fastback;1597915225]You did fine for the first time on a drag strip....you also showed up with a manual car and that makes the learning the basics that much harder.

The fact is drag racing is not easy ( especially in a manual trans ) and to get "good times" or extract your cars max potential on a couple passes aint gonna happen.... it takes ALOT of practice and the more power you make the more skill and understanding you'll need of track conditions & how things work together on your car[/QUOTE]

Last edited by GrandSport223; 09-03-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Yea. I mean I assume these cars can take a fair amount of abuse because they are built for it but let's face it things will break no matter how well built something is. I can tell you the issue the guy with the C6 with the supercharger and grippy slick racing tires had. When you start applying that kind of power and you're getting it to the ground if you don't have a reinforced rear end and all that kind of stuff somethings going to break! And that's pretty much what happened to him. He had just stock differentials, stock rear end and stock tranny in that car I believe.

QUOTE=eboggs_jkvl;1597914745]Drag strip and "I don't have five or six grand to spend", don't mix. Drag strip action is russian roulette with cars. I've been there a couple of times and didn't lose the RR game. I won't be going back except to watch the others drive to glory!

Elmer[/QUOTE]

Last edited by GrandSport223; 09-03-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:44 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Thank you! 😎

They do get looks don't they?

Originally Posted by joemessman
You may not have had good times, but you sure look good! Good looking car.

Last edited by GrandSport223; 09-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:52 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

The toughest part is getting the launch right, you really have to feather it in first gear with those tires. It does take a bit of trial and error Being quick with the no lift shift is another challenge to get used to. But it is fun and a great way to test your skills and use that power.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Oh your car has a lot more than 13's in it! My 2008 LS3 did 12.17 on old Goodyear runflats! That car was an auto, though. Mid to low 12's are achievable once you get the launches down, which is hard to do with a stick.

My C7's have all been M7's and I have not been to the track yet. Plan to try it soon and may find myself in similar situation as you were in the first time out!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:26 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Yea... this clutch on this car is so finicky. Mind you the last six speed standard I had was a Borg Warner six speed in a 1995 Trans Am and that thing was smooth as silk to shift with... on this car the clutch doesn't let out till the very last moment and if you're not on the revs she will just stall on you on the spot! I find the gear box kind of crunchy to shift and the gears really close together. And really I've had the car for over a year now but I haven't really tromped on it from a dead start all the way through the gears up to 100+ miles per hour on the highway. I probably should find some back road and just practice that but I didn't buy the car to race it. some guys were saying i should take it out to the track and see what it does and I did.

I hate getting beat by a "Mustang" but hey I am man enough to say he beat me fair and square. Not trying to make excuses but I was just actually getting better with the shifting and the ET's were getting better. but then my Dad telling me don't run your car anymore down the track thinking I'm going to break something...

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
Oh your car has a lot more than 13's in it! My 2008 LS3 did 12.17 on old Goodyear runflats! That car was an auto, though. Mid to low 12's are achievable once you get the launches down, which is hard to do with a stick.

My C7's have all been M7's and I have not been to the track yet. Plan to try it soon and may find myself in similar situation as you were in the first time out!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:48 PM
Jaylars
Pro

Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts

You are actually sitting in an 11.xx sec car. Time, trials, and tires will help get you there. Or you can add a blower and get there tomorrow.
Bigfoot16 (09-04-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:50 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Need the 8 speed auto I guess 🤓

Originally Posted by Jaylars
You are actually sitting in an 11.xx sec car. Time, trials, and tires will help get you there. Or you can add a blower and get there tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Turn the traction control back on , use launch control or just walk it off the line before you stab the gas pedal to the floor , the car will go strait as an arrow and you should pull off some low 12 second runs ...

awesome pictures , don't worry about breaking it as long as you walk it off the line ....
Dave
joemessman (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 06:51 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Okay. Thanks Dave. I'll try that 😎

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Turn the traction control back on , use launch control or just walk it off the line before you stab the gas pedal to the floor , the car will go strait as an arrow and you should pull off some low 12 second runs ...

awesome pictures , don't worry about breaking it as long as you walk it off the line ....
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Took my GS out to the drag strip

Old 09-03-2018, 06:54 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

Some of the mods I have are K&N cold air induction, Weapon X ported throttle body, and Diablo 3 Intune and I deleted the rev limiter.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:19 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandSport223
Some of the mods I have are K&N cold air induction, Weapon X ported throttle body, and Diablo 3 Intune and I deleted the rev limiter.

Like other's have said.... leave traction control on feather the clutch.
Do not dump dump the clutch, if you get a sticky tire on there it could break a axle or spider gears in the diff. launch control can be a bit tricky especially if you are already a bit wound up or nervous,

I assume you have OEM MPSS run flats tires... you can't get enough traction at the hit to really damage stuff. Guys always want to do a big smoky burn out but this is NOT helping you! with street tires

also DO NOT GO THRU THE WATER BOX. Drive around it.... unless you have drag radials

At what altitude is your track? You MPH is down quite a bit iam wondering if you are in Colorado or something?

Last edited by 65fastback; 09-03-2018 at 07:21 PM.
JerryU (09-05-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:39 PM
GrandSport223
Racer

I do drive around the water. Yes I'm just running street OEM Michelin run flats. What's happening is I'm not great on the lights. Need practice. I really don't care how good of a tree I cut off the line. I'm really just getting use to the car. Launching it off the line... way to nervous at times. To exited and I'm trying to get my RPM's 6,000 to 6,500 shifting gears. 1st off the line i'm dumping the clutch and to the floor which isn't helping.... 6-7,000 RPM.... shift into 2nd gear, Spinning... then finally traction control kicking in. Getting good traction. Watching RPM's shifting into 3rd, by that time I'm already half way down the track. 4th is to high of a gear, loose too much momentum.. so, I'm only in 3rd all the way to the end. So yea 104-106 MPH. I'm not sure what the elevation was. The track was in Gimli Manitoba.

Originally Posted by 65fastback
Like other's have said.... leave traction control on feather the clutch.
Do not dump dump the clutch, if you get a sticky tire on there it could break a axle or spider gears in the diff. launch control can be a bit tricky especially if you are already a bit wound up or nervous,

I assume you have OEM MPSS run flats tires... you can't get enough traction at the hit to really damage stuff. Guys always want to do a big smoky burn out but this is NOT helping you! with street tires

also DO NOT GO THRU THE WATER BOX. Drive around it.... unless you have drag radials

At what altitude is your track? You MPH is down quite a bit iam wondering if you are in Colorado or something?

Quick Reply: Took my GS out to the drag strip