Sponsored by:

Final Edition C7 FE

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM
randyn
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Final Edition C7 FE

Was not sure where or what section to post this C7 vs C8. Anyways, I got to thinking GM must have some plan to end the last FE Corvette.

If not, it will be a misssed opportunity! They should Make a Final Edition model. That means the reveal and introduction of the C8 will be somewhat stretched out and that would also indicate possibly making both FE and ME at the same time. There has to be some acknowledgement of the history of the FE Corvette. That will also help Corvette owners absorb depreciation and prepare for the transition into a totally different Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Funny you should ask as I made this post on the FE vs ME Thread in this section at 07:37 this am.

CRABBYJ: “Whether the FE will soon be history is arguable both ways. What I do feel confident about is that if a FE Corvette does go away, it will go out dramatically. What that means could be a Commemorative Edition to surpass all previous Corvette FE-CEs in execution. Maybe even limiting production to <5k?. All else being ME production. Please GM, if something like this in your plans, don’t cheap it out with trinkets and gaudy graphics on a C7 but instead give us a C7.5 with at least some significant change in its exterior execution and a performance bump. Think GS and Z06 on steroids. That given the ZR1 will be done as stated.”

EDIT: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-fe-vs-me.html

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-11-2018 at 10:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
bebezote (09-11-2018), Malum1 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:08 AM
dreamr616
Drifting

Received 632 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by randyn
Was not sure where or what section to post this C7 vs C8. Anyways, I got to thinking GM must have some plan to end the last FE Corvette.

If not, it will be a misssed opportunity! They should Make a Final Edition model. That means the reveal and introduction of the C8 will be somewhat stretched out and that would also indicate possibly making both FE and ME at the same time. There has to be some acknowledgement of the history of the FE Corvette. That will also help Corvette owners absorb depreciation and prepare for the transition into a totally different Corvette.

You mean an FE FE (Final Edition Front Engine) ... i.e. FE squared!
Old 09-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

If Chevy can keep the price VERY LOW for the entry level ME Corvette, I'm fine with that. However, if the ME is expensive, they had better keep the FE around, or they might lose their market and this could be the end of the Corvette.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonylmiller:
Malum1 (09-17-2018), Mike Mercury (09-17-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:38 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by randyn
Making 2020 FE/ME will help Corvette owners absorb depreciation.
The following 2 users liked this post by C8Jake:
bebezote (09-11-2018), rsvette12 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:35 AM
Ryan R
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Didn’t they give the 2013 GS a 427? I could see GM making something pretty slick for the outgoing C7
Old 09-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
If Chevy can keep the price VERY LOW for the entry level ME Corvette, I'm fine with that. However, if the ME is expensive, they had better keep the FE around, or they might lose their market and this could be the end of the Corvette.
You think they don't know that?

I'm rooting for the "2 Vette solution" but I know the counter-argument is quite strong.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Ryan R
Didn’t they give the 2013 GS a 427? I could see GM making something pretty slick for the outgoing C7
Yes, they did. And a brilliant move it was.

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
You think they don't know that?

I'm rooting for the "2 Vette solution" but I know the counter-argument is quite strong.
Quite strong and like climbing an increasingly-steep mountain, unfortunately........
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
bebezote (09-11-2018), Malum1 (09-17-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:31 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, they did. And a brilliant move it was.

Quite strong and like climbing an increasingly-steep mountain, unfortunately........
In 2013, they already had the 427 available. Now, no other engine to slide in. Fact is, the '19 is the final edition. Interesting that the '19 brochure set I have does not make a peep about the many improvements to my '19 manual Z06. Significantly improved paint, latest MSRC programming loaded in, radiator from ZR1, slightly bigger HX, spider gears and fuel pump from the ZR1... No mention of any of these things in the brochures. Interesting. C7 development is done with the ZR1 and last C7 supposedly rolls off the line next August. The new ZR1 ECU is "hyper locked" and will be extremely expensive and tough to crack.

Any "special edition" would be some cosmetic interior or exterior stuff IMO. I have the highest developed iteration of the C7 Z and at 12% off of MSRP. I could have waited a little longer for maybe 15% off, I wanted a manual 2 LZ Anniversary Blue red adrenalin interior car, and Anniversary Blue is out of production. Given the new ME's are 99% likely to be DCT only, and the base model an "LT2" pushrod small block running 30-40 more h/p than the LT1 (same basic delta as was from LS3 to LT1) I don't expect to be looking at the back of any ME's for at least two years. When the DOHC twin turbos do come out in two years or so, I will be interested in how much they weigh. The DOHC non turbo engine in my Shelby GT350 was a tall and heavy Mother... I would expect to see stripped ME 1LZ 's start at around $88 to $90K. Expect to see an even more "hyper locked" ECU on the MEs.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:43 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Funny you should ask as I made this post on the FE vs ME Thread in this section at 07:37 this am.

CRABBYJ: “Whether the FE will soon be history is arguable both ways. What I do feel confident about is that if a FE Corvette does go away, it will go out dramatically. What that means could be a Commemorative Edition to surpass all previous Corvette FE-CEs in execution. Maybe even limiting production to <5k?. All else being ME production. Please GM, if something like this in your plans, don’t cheap it out with trinkets and gaudy graphics on a C7 but instead give us a C7.5 with at least some significant change in its exterior execution and a performance bump. Think GS and Z06 on steroids. That given the ZR1 will be done as stated.”

EDIT: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-fe-vs-me.html

that would make marketing sense...and prolly tough to sell more than 5k of an outgoing car like the FE with such dramatic change coming.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:57 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

ALl told i expect model for model, option for option i expect the me c8 to only cost 5 grand more to start., not accounting for c7 options that become standard equipment
Old 09-11-2018, 06:58 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

They're going to dig a big hole and shove the last one in it. Keep the tradition alive.
bebezote (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Final edition?

They already released it. It's called the ZR1.
The following 5 users liked this post by OnPoint:
ANTIVNOM (09-12-2018), bebezote (09-11-2018), Boiler_81 (09-11-2018), dcbingaman (09-11-2018), Larshelt (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 09:25 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by NineVettes
In 2013, they already had the 427 available. Now, no other engine to slide in. Fact is, the '19 is the final edition. Interesting that the '19 brochure set I have does not make a peep about the many improvements to my '19 manual Z06. Significantly improved paint, latest MSRC programming loaded in, radiator from ZR1, slightly bigger HX, spider gears and fuel pump from the ZR1... No mention of any of these things in the brochures. Interesting. C7 development is done with the ZR1 and last C7 supposedly rolls off the line next August. The new ZR1 ECU is "hyper locked" and will be extremely expensive and tough to crack.

Any "special edition" would be some cosmetic interior or exterior stuff IMO. I have the highest developed iteration of the C7 Z and at 12% off of MSRP. I could have waited a little longer for maybe 15% off, I wanted a manual 2 LZ Anniversary Blue red adrenalin interior car, and Anniversary Blue is out of production. Given the new ME's are 99% likely to be DCT only, and the base model an "LT2" pushrod small block running 30-40 more h/p than the LT1 (same basic delta as was from LS3 to LT1) I don't expect to be looking at the back of any ME's for at least two years. When the DOHC twin turbos do come out in two years or so, I will be interested in how much they weigh. The DOHC non turbo engine in my Shelby GT350 was a tall and heavy Mother... I would expect to see stripped ME 1LZ 's start at around $88 to $90K. Expect to see an even more "hyper locked" ECU on the MEs.
Some of those improvements, I don't think would be a good thing to note. It could be seen as being a poke in the eye to prior years' owners, like paint. The more "involved" Corvette owners such as those at the Bash can understand a presentation with these improvements being explained. But even on here, some owners were grousing about having to pay for the MRC update ( some say, "it shoulda been free"). For me, I can't recall the last time I got a free update on any electronic component incl. car nav, Valentine 1, etc. unless it was baked into the original price like Garmin's LTM (lifetime traffic, maps update).

As to cosmetic stuff like "stickers or stripes" (or, embroidered headrests) as a going-away edition, not necessarily. Corvette has done both substantive and cosmetic cars. '96 was the last year of the C4 and they gave a CE (commemorative), GS and plain-Jane model with manual trans a 330 hp engine IF they had a manual trans. All others had automatic trans with a 300 hp engine. Sounds small potatoes, but shows some initiative. Most buyers/owners wouldn't ridicule a 30 chp increase.

And the 427 already being around in '13? Yes, it was but it wasn't in a convertible then; it was in the fixed-roof coupe Z06. No base, GS had access to a stock 427---only the Z06. That's why the last-year convertible 427 was appreciated by owners---to the tune of almost 6-1 sales over 427 Z06 coupes. (https://vette-vues.com/2013-year-end...ction-numbers/).
Old 09-11-2018, 10:36 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Some of those improvements, I don't think would be a good thing to note. It could be seen as being a poke in the eye to prior years' owners, like paint. The more "involved" Corvette owners such as those at the Bash can understand a presentation with these improvements being explained. But even on here, some owners were grousing about having to pay for the MRC update ( some say, "it shoulda been free"). For me, I can't recall the last time I got a free update on any electronic component incl. car nav, Valentine 1, etc. unless it was baked into the original price like Garmin's LTM (lifetime traffic, maps update).

As to cosmetic stuff like "stickers or stripes" (or, embroidered headrests) as a going-away edition, not necessarily. Corvette has done both substantive and cosmetic cars. '96 was the last year of the C4 and they gave a CE (commemorative), GS and plain-Jane model with manual trans a 330 hp engine IF they had a manual trans. All others had automatic trans with a 300 hp engine. Sounds small potatoes, but shows some initiative. Most buyers/owners wouldn't ridicule a 30 chp increase.

And the 427 already being around in '13? Yes, it was but it wasn't in a convertible then; it was in the fixed-roof coupe Z06. No base, GS had access to a stock 427---only the Z06. That's why the last-year convertible 427 was appreciated by owners---to the tune of almost 6-1 sales over 427 Z06 coupes. (https://vette-vues.com/2013-year-end...ction-numbers/).
I agree with most of your post. You are right that they probably did not want to call out the changes to the '19 Z's. The improved paint was just a by product of major upgrades Chevrolet was doing anyway. The MSRC updates were already available and were likely also done to reduce stress on the rims (which had some durability issue) by softening up the "tour" settings among other improvements. The ZR1 pieces were available, so easy to migrate them to the Z06 platform and may have even been partially done to simplify production. But I am more than happy to have all of them, and one of the last manual performance FEs.

Now back in '96, I was driving a '93 ZR-1. And I remember that a lot of folks were not happy that the ZR-1 program ended so abruptly (actually last LT5 motors were manufactured in'93 then stockpiled). Tat LT5 was a great motor, but the C4 frames were weak. You would feel the car twist when pushing it on banked tracks. I really liked what they did with the '96 GS - especially the manual. Stunning car that did not always sell well in the showrooms - probably because of anticipation of the C5s. The C4s were "very long in the tooth" and I think it was probably easier 18 years ago to get a new engine certified than it is today.

Tempus fugit.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

There will not be a special edition final ME. We heard that from Tadge at the ZR1 reveal, from Mark Reuss and others since.

Did either of them say that explicitedly? No, but they both said that the ZR1 is the final C7 version.

Additionally, we know from GM’s own Dec. 11, 2017 document to its dealers, that ZR1 production ends next March. Orders going in right now are getting TPW’s of the middle of October. Is GM is going to, and in contraction to what Tadge and Mark have clearly said, and out of the blue, at some point trot out a new C7 special edition, take orders, build those cars, all within the five month period between October 10th and March of next year?

Not happening.
Boiler_81 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by NineVettes
I agree with most of your post. You are right that they probably did not want to call out the changes to the '19 Z's. The improved paint was just a by product of major upgrades Chevrolet was doing anyway. The MSRC updates were already available and were likely also done to reduce stress on the rims (which had some durability issue) by softening up the "tour" settings among other improvements. The ZR1 pieces were available, so easy to migrate them to the Z06 platform and may have even been partially done to simplify production. But I am more than happy to have all of them, and one of the last manual performance FEs.

Now back in '96, I was driving a '93 ZR-1. And I remember that a lot of folks were not happy that the ZR-1 program ended so abruptly (actually last LT5 motors were manufactured in'93 then stockpiled). Tat LT5 was a great motor, but the C4 frames were weak. You would feel the car twist when pushing it on banked tracks. I really liked what they did with the '96 GS - especially the manual. Stunning car that did not always sell well in the showrooms - probably because of anticipation of the C5s. The C4s were "very long in the tooth" and I think it was probably easier 18 years ago to get a new engine certified than it is today.

Tempus fugit.
Well said!

Get notified of new replies

To Final Edition C7 FE

Old 09-12-2018, 02:10 AM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Final edition?

They already released it. It's called the ZR1.
and it's butt ugly.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:52 AM
bigterpsfan
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts

They did, it’s called a ZR1. Other than a marketing ploy like stickers and a fancy name, they are not going to invest any additional resources into the C7.

Last edited by bigterpsfan; 09-12-2018 at 05:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bigterpsfan:
bebezote (09-12-2018), Boiler_81 (09-12-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Guess I have a different view of the future of the FE Vette. My minds vision is that the ME is the C8. The current C7 will continue as is (no updates/upgrades) for one to two more years to aid in transition to the new ME. If the sales of the C7 stay high enough then GM will introduce a new FE, the C9. After that the survival of either (the ME and the FE) will depend upon their sales. Assuming it will be a world class sports car the ME has the potential to do great but it can also bomb if it does not fill the classics Corvette role.

Quick Reply: Final Edition C7 FE