More A8 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I feel sorry for those of you who are having problems with the A8 tranny. You’re justified in being disappointed/mad that this is happening, especially after already having some repairs done to the car.

It seems weird to me... I mean, it seems like there is a design / production flaw in the A8 (somewhere) so I don't understand expecting the problem to be fixed by taking out the current tranny and putting in another one just like it. SMH...
The following users liked this post:
c5arlen (09-04-2023)
Old 09-15-2018, 08:19 AM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by BenDiem
^^^ I'm contemplating getting back into a Corvette, but after reading all of these negative posts concerning the A8, I'm really turned off now.
I'll have to entertain the M7, although I feel it has one too many gears...

What to do?
Why would you say too many gears.? You don't t have to use them. I shift from first to third all the time. Never need second gear then third to fifth.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Hwillner
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinny
The shudder problem on my '15 was corrected by the installation of a new torque converter, but the harsh shifting remains, especially from Park to Drive and from Reverse to Drive. Has anyone experienced a lasting fix for this problem? From the comments I have read, I am not optimistic that there is one.

When they put a new transmission and tourqe converter on mine it last about 2 months before the problems started again.
c5arlen (09-04-2023)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:21 PM
halp
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ I'm contemplating getting back into a Corvette, but after reading all of these negative posts concerning the A8, I'm really turned off now.

What to do?
M7 is great. Never use the 7th gear, nothing says you have to. It is not an automatic, some folks never go higher than number 4. Not really concerned about gas mileage that's why I didn't buy a Prius.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:56 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Yup

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Really? "One too any gears" would dissuade you? So don't use seventh. It only .09 difference from sixth anyway. It's the smoothest manual I have ever driven, a real delight. I use seventh all the time on fast freeways. It probably makes little difference mpg wise, but I like having it there. To NOT buy an M7 because it has one more gear just seems nonsensical to me. Better grab it while you can because it just might not be there very much longer.
Amen and ditto
Old 09-15-2018, 03:12 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

What a nightmare for you A8 owners. I googled up some truck forums and they have A8 issues too....... And many of their dealers and GM are telling them they are the only one's complaining too!!!!
Double Aught (09-20-2019)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:23 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Really? "One too any gears" would dissuade you? So don't use seventh. It only .09 difference from sixth anyway. It's the smoothest manual I have ever driven, a real delight. I use seventh all the time on fast freeways. It probably makes little difference mpg wise, but I like having it there. To NOT buy an M7 because it has one more gear just seems nonsensical to me. Better grab it while you can because it just might not be there very much longer.
Originally Posted by kaplana08
Why would you say too many gears.? You don't t have to use them. I shift from first to third all the time. Never need second gear then third to fifth.
You guys just don't get it, but I know what he means. I feel the same way, I felt like the 6 speed in my C6 was the perfect amount of gears, and spaced nicely and each was easy to find. But there comes a point when they just put too many gears in a manual transmission and it becomes more difficult to quickly find the one you want because they are all spaced too closely together. So just telling the person to avoid that 7th gear doesn't solve the inherent problem with having too many gears.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patman:
c5arlen (09-04-2023), JLSuperfly (12-21-2019)
Old 09-15-2018, 03:56 PM
Steve Carter
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

:
One too any gears" would dissuade you? So don't use seventh. It only .09 difference from sixth anyway. It's the smoothest manual I have ever driven, a real delight. I use seventh all the time on fast freeways.

i didn’t use seventh much at first but in the last few months I found myself “looking for another gear” love the M7
Old 09-15-2018, 04:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Mine goes in next week for a fluid flush I hope.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 09-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patman
You guys just don't get it, but I know what he means. I feel the same way, I felt like the 6 speed in my C6 was the perfect amount of gears, and spaced nicely and each was easy to find. But there comes a point when they just put too many gears in a manual transmission and it becomes more difficult to quickly find the one you want because they are all spaced too closely together. So just telling the person to avoid that 7th gear doesn't solve the inherent problem with having too many gears.
LOL... not sure how I'll feel when mine arrives but I see what you mean. Reminds me of razors...

JLSuperfly (12-21-2019)
Old 09-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I have a M7 so I dont have the problem but GM and the dealer can say its normal all they want. It is not normal. The trans should not shudder or jump in gear either they fix it or replace the trans again. Many Corvette owners I know here with the A8 have had problems and the trans flush seems to have cured their problem with the shuddering.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

What to do?
Forget about 7th! . It’s just the third overdrive gear in the box.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:56 PM
BenDiem
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Patman gets it, lol...

Let me explain myself. A 7 speed manual is not natural. It is not a perfect "H" configuration/pattern. With the M7, I'm afraid I will have to double check myself to see what gear I'm in, when I'm in gears 5-6. It's just counterintuitive - for me, lol...

The 6 speed manual has two "H" patterns. (HH). Reverse gear is either logically at the far lower right corner, or at the far upper left corner of the H pattern/configuration. The two "H" patterns are for gears 1-6.

That seventh gear is just odd!

It appears from what I've read that gears 5-7 are overdrive gears... If this is true, then why give me three OD gears? I could care less about MPG... This is not the car for gas consumption concerns...
I am/was fine with 4 speed, 5 speed and 6 speed manuals. M7 is just weird/unnatural for me.

Those who don't get it; we can agree to disagree, eh?

Cheers/Best,

BB
The following 3 users liked this post by BenDiem:
dmccorki (09-03-2019), JLSuperfly (12-21-2019), Patman (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I have never had any issues with my M7 in finding gears 5-7 I just push the shifter as far right as possible and either go up or down.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:07 AM
Hwillner
Intermediate

I would like to give a little update on my situation. Last week I contacted GM about the problems I have been having. They left me a voicemail yesterday. In the message the representative assigned to my case said that they also contacted my dealership and the manager that I was working with. The manager told him everything is normal and they tested another corvette and they shift the same. Okay that's fine, the rough shift once or twice a day doesn't bother me at all. Now the manager at my dealership tells the guy at GM that I’m really rough on my car and it’s probably learning to shift how I shift. You can say my car is "normal" all you want, most of us owners know how are cars should act. I've put over 30,000 miles on my car, I think I know it better than a service manager who doesn't even work on the cars. But the part that really has me mad now is that he is blaming me for how the car is driving because I am "rough" on my car. I am calling GM back today to give them the full story, which I'm sure my dealership's service manager failed to mention. Like how they put 60 miles on my car last time and wrote it down as 5. How they ordered an arm rest for me last year and then told me about it in May, and then tried to charge me $350 for it. Like how my car has the same symptoms as last time when they put a new tranny in and now it’s normal.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

After those first incidents, I woulda just found a new dealer.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Hwillner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
After those first incidents, I woulda just found a new dealer.
The first incident they were accommodating. They gave me a new loaner Silverado for over two weeks while everything was going on. But personally I think its the service manager who is the problem. He has had an attitude with me since I told him I wasn't going to pay for my armrest that was ordered while everything was still under warranty. It's not my fault that they failed to tell me that they ordered the part. But yes, after this incident I will most definitely not be going back, I'll be driving over an hour to a different dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To More A8 transmission problems

Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

[QUOTE=Hwillner;1598004900]The first incident they were accommodating. They gave me a new loaner Silverado for over two weeks while everything was going on. But personally I think its the service manager who is the problem. He has had an attitude with me since I told him I wasn't going to pay for my armrest that was ordered while everything was still under warranty. It's not my fault that they failed to tell me that they ordered the part. But yes, after this incident I will most definitely not be going back, I'll be driving over an hour to a different dealership.[/QUOTE

]I owned a Dodge Daytona back in the 90's that threw a rod after six months They kept the car for weeks. Instead of putting in a new short block, they ordered every single component to rebuild the motor. When we got to day 27, I told them I was invoking the lemon law to get a new car. The next day they said the motor was put back together, but my clutch was worn out. They would replace it for $250. I told them that was bull, and would be there in two hours to see the clutch myself. When I get there, my car was all put together and ready for pickup. They claimed they re-looked at the clutch and it was ok.

This was their ploy to make some money on a warranty repair, the same with your armrest. There was no way they reassembled my car in two hours. It was already finished, and probably for days.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=ByRiver;1598006500]
Originally Posted by Hwillner
The first incident they were accommodating. They gave me a new loaner Silverado for over two weeks while everything was going on. But personally I think its the service manager who is the problem. He has had an attitude with me since I told him I wasn't going to pay for my armrest that was ordered while everything was still under warranty. It's not my fault that they failed to tell me that they ordered the part. But yes, after this incident I will most definitely not be going back, I'll be driving over an hour to a different dealership.[/QUOTE

]I owned a Dodge Daytona back in the 90's that threw a rod after six months They kept the car for weeks. Instead of putting in a new short block, they ordered every single component to rebuild the motor. When we got to day 27, I told them I was invoking the lemon law to get a new car. The next day they said the motor was put back together, but my clutch was worn out. They would replace it for $250. I told them that was bull, and would be there in two hours to see the clutch myself. When I get there, my car was all put together and ready for pickup. They claimed they re-looked at the clutch and it was ok.

This was their ploy to make some money on a warranty repair, the same with your armrest. There was no way they reassembled my car in two hours. It was already finished, and probably for days.
WOW !
Old 09-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Exactly. ....

The M7 makes the C7, THE must have Corvette.

Some are not capable of driving a manual transmission - but that's their "personal
​​​​​​​issue".......

Quick Reply: More A8 transmission problems