Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More A8 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I see many are talking about going to German cars. I had two Audis and I liked them very much but both of the auto transmissions shifted erratically. They would bang downshifting and at times bang upshifting. The first one I owned I brought in to the dealers because I thought the tranny was going. They told me it was normal to shift like that. My second one did the exact same thing so I figured it was normal. They both had the 2.0 turbo engines and I was told the engine had a lot to do with the harsh shifting. The funny part is I had 2 Cadillacs with 2.0 turbo engines and they both shifted smooth as glass.

I have an M7 in my Vette and I never gave an A8 a slightest thought. I hope they do get it figured out for those who want an auto.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:32 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by Deech Man

Yesterday was a sad day for me. After owning Corvettes for the past 30 years I traded in my 2016 z51 with 1,100 miles and a year of ownership for a new Audi A5 Convertible. I did this for many reasons, the transmission shutter, the cracked fuel tank issue, water spots in paint that would not come out and the overall performance of the car. I had traded in my 03 Z06 for my Z51 and that was my first mistake. The Z after 15 years of ownership had 10k miles on it and frankly was faster than the z51. I did have long tube headers and a open filter bank but, that was the only mods. It was also a six speed. I am not knocking the C7. It is by far the best looking vette ever. It’s just GM stepping up to the plate and admitting there faults. The issues out there are very serious and they have no fix for them. They say they believe they have found a fix that will come out after the first of the year but, don’t hold your breath.

I will always love the Corvette in spite of the problems and who knows, down the line I may buy another on but, it is way to frustrating to own one now.

Good luck to you all, it has been a pleasure being part of the Corvette family. I will continue to go on the forum in hopes to see that GM fixes the shutter A8 problem. I just don’t have much confidence in them.

sincerely,

Deech Mam
I hope you have good luck with your A5, Audi makes great cars even though they are dishonest and I could never buy another one.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by sdececco58@yahoo.com
Two days after filing complaint with dealership and starting a case with Chevrolet, and I have heard nothing. I keep trying to call or contact them via email and no response. It's like I have the plague! No one wants to address this A8 issue. I will not give up though, I will write letters and document everything until someone helps me.
This is frustrating but I will not give up.
Took me 7 weeks to get the transmission and TC replaced it was a hassle, after the executive office got involved it was replaced in two days.. been using a Range device ever since.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Jpena229
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually rear oil seal leaks and clutch problems have been around for ever, not just on vettes either. The rear seal leaks oil, oil gets on engine side of flywheel, flywheel flings oil all over the inside of your transmission bell housing, from there it drips onto the clutch side of flywheel, oil gets between clutch and flywheel and you have yourself a chattering slipping clutch.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Jpena229
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I had both problems, vibration coming on and off at highway speed was fixed when they replaced the TC. Slamming into gear when going from Park to Drive (first thing in the morning) was fixed when they replaced the transmission, at least that's what they (dealer) say they did. I saw a service bulletin on the Park to drive problem, the tranny guy at the dealer showed it to me, and it said that the converter stator was to blame (bleed back). either way it's fixed. Now for problem number three, if your hearing a rattling noise coming from your firewall, get ready you are going back to the dealer, the noise is actually coming from your bell housing (you can really hear it if you put your head next to your front fender) and it's the flywheel destroying itself. They used a "dual mass" (two piece) fly wheel in order to reduce the vibrations caused by that huge 3.1L V4 (AFM) that you're drivimg at highway speeds. The 2 pieces are linked thru a bunch of springs and other pieces and apparently some of this flywheels start coming apart after a while, mine went south at about 32,000 miles. So add that to the listy.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Hwillner

I brought my 2015 z51 to the dealership in May for the jumping problem when putting it into drive as well as the shudder issue at low speed. They had the car for a day and said they needed a new torque converter. They called me a few days later after putting the new converter on. They had me drive around the parking lot to see if it felt different, I made it about 50 yards before I drove it right back into the service center. So they then put a whole new tranny in, 2 weeks later I get the car back. Great! Driving home everything was smooth like it should be. Fast forward to about three weeks ago and the problems have started again. Jumping forward after putting it into drive, the shuddering. At this point I am getting mad, I just had a new transmission put in, and the problem is back. Wednesday I dropped it off, now for the third time for this problem. I just got a call from my dealership this morning telling me that these characteristics are “normal”. So this month it is “normal, but in May it was something that required a new transmission. I love my car, but at this point i'm starting to think its something more. Being that it is the third time for this problem I have started looking into the Lemon law.
:That's normal? I can only imagine how bad it'll be about 3 years from now!!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Rockstar_Andy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had this issue and it's becoming very annoying.

I've had it in now for the 4th time at my dealership, dropped it off this morning. In December they told me in January they have a new PPD for the "torque converter fix" and, just like before, it's a "New" low viscosity fluid and a 'change in the procedure' of how they adjust it. Color me skeptical that this will fix the mechanical issue, if it does...fantastic, but not holding my breath.

I'm very close to escalating this further but I fail to see how a $73k car should feel like the worst drive I've experienced in my life. This is a known issue and the constant bounce back/deflection of the true problem is very disconcerting.

I hope this 'new fluid' helps but the new fluid didn't help last time. Now i've felt some slipping recently, and a P1035 code a month ago when the radiator fan stayed on. Issues are stacking up and my confidence in keeping this car any longer than my warranty that ends at the end of the year is lowering.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:28 AM
sdececco58@yahoo.com
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feel your pain

I had the fluid change once and not convinced it worked. I will bring it in for service a second time and keep you posted
Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpena229
Actually rear oil seal leaks and clutch problems have been around for ever, not just on vettes either. The rear seal leaks oil, oil gets on engine side of flywheel, flywheel flings oil all over the inside of your transmission bell housing, from there it drips onto the clutch side of flywheel, oil gets between clutch and flywheel and you have yourself a chattering slipping clutch.
Yeah, I had that exact problem on my first car, a well-used (95K miles) 1954 Ford business coupe with a 239 V8.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad I read up on these issues and stuck with a manual after my experience with the 2013 LS-7 time bomb motor. GM makes a great looking Corvette I just wish the quality was as good. Seems the A8 has brought another black cloud over the car. I think those that disable the AFM are definitely on to something.

Last edited by 427C62013A; 01-22-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by 427C62013A
Glad I read up on these issues and stuck with a manual after my experience with the 2013 LS-7 time bomb motor. GM makes a great looking Corvette I just wish the quality was as good. Seems the A8 has brought another black cloud over the car. I think those that disable the AFM are definitely on to something.
Thinking 'bout buying the disabler too, will installing this have any effect on our warranty. If G.M knows this is the problem, why do they continue to go this route.
Like I stated in another thread Honda Gold wing owners ( I'm one, but my Wing didn't display the problem ) had problems with poping out of gear, and over a period of time did damage to the tranny . Honda never admitted there was a issue, problem ongoing !
Tough to fight the Big Guys !
Thank you ,
Rich K ( Vette Ski )
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

These A8 threads are scaring me away from the C7 A8. Are these issues just as common on the new 2019's? And I thought having 2 flying roofs in my 2005 Corvette was bad :-). Glad I daily drive a 2012 Corvette with 70k miles.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:51 PM
ragincajun64
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Blu-Beast
My '15 Z51 shift thru gears smoothly. I haven't experience any shuddering & hope it stay that way. Only issue I have is the stupid jerking when shift from Park to D or M. After driving for a while & it warms up enough, the jerking stop. What a PITA.
That's how my issues started. They are replacing a valve in the transmission after replacing the fluids and the torque converter. Put your seat belt on because it's coming!
Old 01-29-2019, 07:56 PM
ragincajun64
7th Gear

Don't count on the "New fluid". Mine is back in service after the fluid replacement for a valve in the transmission. I am 100% certain that this will also not solve the problems that we are all having because I have read a gazillion threads about this and they all say the same thing. I have not read anything where there is a true fix. I wish you luck, though. I am thinking class action lawsuit!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:19 PM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by rckt
These A8 threads are scaring me away from the C7 A8. Are these issues just as common on the new 2019's? And I thought having 2 flying roofs in my 2005 Corvette was bad :-). Glad I daily drive a 2012 Corvette with 70k miles.
Advice: Trust your gut. Imagine buying one and then have the problem (knowing the A8 has unresolved issues). If GM had a fix that worked across the board, I'd approach the purchase differently. I honestly think GM's resolution to the A8 problem will be the C8..

The following 2 users liked this post by 1SG_Ret:
Slynky (01-29-2019), V Vette (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:33 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Advice: Trust your gut. Imagine buying one and then have the problem (knowing the A8 has unresolved issues). If GM had a fix that worked across the board, I'd approach the purchase differently. I honestly think GM's resolution to the A8 problem will be the C8..
Sad, if true GM will go bankrupt again. Reliability is just as important as having a fun car to drive.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:47 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

These A8 threads are scaring me away from the C7 A8. Are these issues just as common on the new 2019's?
The 2019s have a much smaller chance of developing the shudder due to the fact that they come with the latest transmission fluid (and most likely a software change too) that helps to alleviate this issue.

Get notified of new replies

To More A8 transmission problems

Old 01-30-2019, 07:47 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

After reading many threads on the A8 issues, seems the Range AFM disabler fixes the problems. Anyone have the Range AFM disabler and still have the A8 problems?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

After reading many threads on the A8 issues, seems the Range AFM disabler fixes the problems. Anyone have the Range AFM disabler and still have the A8 problems?
Yes, I have had the range plugged in on my C7 pretty much since new. Still around 12500 miles the issues arose. You could tell it in V8 mode also with the jerky shifting. Pulled it out and V4 was terrible. The range just masks the problem a bit, doesn't make you avoid it.
The following 2 users liked this post by speed4tu:
Har-ray (01-30-2019), rckt (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 11:18 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

The range device is only a band-aid, not a fix to the problem. I'd be worried after 5 years when the powertrain warranty runs out -- after that, you're on the hook for costly repairs. Maybe a class-action lawsuit should include extending the warranty to 10 years.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-30-2019)

Quick Reply: More A8 transmission problems