Sponsored by:

MRC, MRC Upgrade, and DSC Observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:01 PM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

Default MRC, MRC Upgrade, and DSC Observations

Having personal experience with all 3 of these options on a 2016 base with FE2, here are brief summaries of some of the data I have collected and observations. (For those that are impatient, you can skip to the last paragraph).

MRC Upgrade (MRCU) – with trepidation I scheduled the appointment for the MRC upgrade and took some printouts to explain what I wanted done because I expected blank stares. However, the lady service rep knew all about this and advised that 8+ hour normalization time was needed AND that could be done anytime. (Pleasant surprise.) I was out in under 2 hours.

I have a decent OBD scanner to read the software ID’s as well as the live suspension data. As a precaution, I took it with me, along with the prior suspension ECU printout to make sure that the upgrade was done. However, within the first 200ft out the dealer garage door, I knew the update had been done! The suspension was that much more subdued.

Appropriate precautions when reading
Damper currents are reported by the DSC software and by the 3rd party scanner. I am presuming that there is not a scale factor difference, etc with the two systems. For each capture system, there is a reading only about 1/sec, even though the damper currents are changing up to 1000 times a sec, so the view of short term damper control is not available with these setups. Nor does the data available describe whether the currents are controlling compression or rebound. Dynamic damper currents were measured while driving the same route.
Some objective observations
Steady state damper drive current - The higher the drive current, the tighter the damper. DSC damper values cited below are based on V3 firmware with the default provided calibration tables and measured with the chart tool in v1.8.3 software tool. Damper currents with MRC and MRCU are measured with the MK808 Autel scanner.

Parking lot/driveway damper current in Tour
MRC – 10-50ma
MRCU – 10-50ma
DSC – 10-50ma

Parking lot/driveway damper current in Sport
MRC – 150-200ma
MRCU – 50-70ma
DSC – 100-130ma
The MRCU substantially reduced steady state damper current in Sport compared to MRC.

.Dynamic control damper currents - The MRC seems more aggressive with dynamic damper currents than the MRCU, with occasional peak damper currents in Tour of over 2000ma with the MRC. The DSC controller stock V3 tables have a max current drive of about half of the peak value recorded with MRC. Some of the apparent harshness of MRC might be the higher peak current available to the damper as well as more aggressive control.

One noticeable control algorithm difference is the damper current control with braking. The DSC will aggressively drive the front dampers when braking to control dive. The MRC/U do not under moderate braking and tend to increase current to all dampers in hard braking.

Some subjective observations - IMO, the reduced control aggressiveness of the MRCU in Tour is one of the key attributes reducing the perceived harshness, instead of a reduction in steady state damper current.In Sport, the MRCU does have significantly reduced current in steady state conditions compared to MRC, along with reduced control aggressiveness.

DSC increases front damper current during braking for front end dive control. However, I noticed at some stop signs with rough pavement some suspension harshness with the DSC because the dampers were nearly fully driven. At those same stop signs, the MRCU suspension seems more relaxed.

As for control in severe and spirited driving comparisons, I have no opinion yet. And it is reasonable to assume that different individuals will prefer different solutions.

A bottom line for Tour and Sport is that the out-of-the box v3 DSC controller perception is about the same to me as MRCU. DSC can be made slightly softer in Tour than MRCU with the DSC ‘plush’ type damper cal table, but careful settings are needed to deal with rear end float that can occur. Of course, MRCU still does not have the ability to do adjustments to the damper control to meet personal preferences or optimizations.

Last edited by kensredvette2; 09-14-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: formatting
The following 4 users liked this post by kensredvette2:
Custom Corvette Accessories (09-15-2018), spinkick (09-14-2018), Steve Carter (09-15-2018), trloh (09-14-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 09:31 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

Nice work

Regards
Chip
Old 09-15-2018, 09:39 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Awesome explanation (I zoned out at some points but I believe everything you stated as you sound educated in this area at least enough to convince me! Lol)

I just knew like you did that it was done because my teeth didnt chatter when I pulled out of the lot as they did before... not kidding..
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Great summary. I learned a few new things.

Get notified of new replies

To MRC, MRC Upgrade, and DSC Observations

Quick Reply: MRC, MRC Upgrade, and DSC Observations