Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Who CARES? Just STEP on it!!!
Old 10-11-2018, 11:58 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Well done, class. Several of you nailed it -- or were on the right track.

60 miles per hour = 1 mile per minute; to average 60 mph over 2 miles is to cover that distance in 2 mins.
30 miles per hour = 0.5 miles per minute = 1 mile per 2 mins.
The first mile at 30 mph takes 2 mins, so even if you were to travel the second mile at the speed of light, you would still average less than 60 mph over the two miles. It's not possible to cover the first mile at 30 mph and average 60 mph over the two miles.

The answer is wonderfully counterintuitive. In 1934, Max Wertheimer sent Albert Einstein a letter in which he posed this problem. And even Einstein didn't "get it" until he started doing the calculations.

I've asked the moderators to send those of you who got it right a bottle of Louis XIII cognac. Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
green2000 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:06 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by fugly1
I've asked the moderators to send those of you who got it right a bottle of Louis XIII cognac. Enjoy!
Dang, looks like @Jmhornz71 won't be drinking cognac...
Old 10-11-2018, 12:10 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by wingerr
You'd come instantly, which is equivalent to infinity miles per hour, which is the required speed to achieve the average speed target.
Agreed, which is why, as Rodney Dangerfield said, I'd hope she's a teacher, because if you do something wrong, they make you do it over again until you get it right.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Well done, class. Several of you nailed it -- or were on the right track.

60 miles per hour = 1 mile per minute; to average 60 mph over 2 miles is to cover that distance in 2 mins.
30 miles per hour = 0.5 miles per minute = 1 mile per 2 mins.
The first mile at 30 mph takes 2 mins, so even if you were to travel the second mile at the speed of light, you would still average less than 60 mph over the two miles. It's not possible to cover the first mile at 30 mph and average 60 mph over the two miles.

The answer is wonderfully counterintuitive. In 1934, Max Wertheimer sent Albert Einstein a letter in which he posed this problem. And even Einstein didn't "get it" until he started doing the calculations.

I still don't see why your average speed isn't 60 if you do one mile at 30 and another at 90. There was no discussion of completing two miles in two minutes in the OP.

if I make a 50 on one test and want to have an average of 70 after the second I need to score a 90 on the second test.

Maybe you meant to include a time constraint in the original problem?
Jmhornz71 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 12:15 PM
ToxicGS
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Excited for the bottle!
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Dang, looks like @Jmhornz71 won't be drinking cognac...
I dont care I dont drink
Old 10-11-2018, 01:20 PM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

defaria (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

I still don't see why your average speed isn't 60 if you do one mile at 30 and another at 90. There was no discussion of completing two miles in two minutes in the OP.

if I make a 50 on one test and want to have an average of 70 after the second I need to score a 90 on the second test.

Maybe you meant to include a time constraint in the original problem?
Speed is not the same thing as a score on a test. A score is only one number, indeterminate of everything else. Speed is a ratio of distance and time. And we can see this in the term 60 MPH. The H is hour or time. But there is also distance. Both time and distance combine to formulate the speed or rate of travel. The only way you can average 60 MPH given the constraint of a distance of only 2 miles is to take 2 minutes to do it. So if you've used up your 2 minutes in the first mile going 30 MPH there is no way you can travel the second mile instantaneously in order to achieve an average speed of 60 MPH. Even the speed of light, which is the fastest possible speed, takes some amount of time to travel a mile. If you could instantaneously go from 30 MPH to light speed you'd be very close but not exactly achieve a 60 MPH average speed.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:25 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
I dont care I dont drink
Then I guess you won't be missing anything.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
pnsnkr
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

It's another lovely day driving your C7. Ahead of you is a hill. It's one mile up the hill, and one mile down the other side. If you average 30 mph going up the hill (one mile), how fast would you have to drive down the other side in order to average 60 mph over the entire two miles?
60mph. The hill is still ahead of you; so you cheat and drive 60mph all the way.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:45 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Speed is not the same thing as a score on a test. A score is only one number, indeterminate of everything else. Speed is a ratio of distance and time. And we can see this in the term 60 MPH. The H is hour or time. But there is also distance. Both time and distance combine to formulate the speed or rate of travel. The only way you can average 60 MPH given the constraint of a distance of only 2 miles is to take 2 minutes to do it. So if you've used up your 2 minutes in the first mile going 30 MPH there is no way you can travel the second mile instantaneously in order to achieve an average speed of 60 MPH. Even the speed of light, which is the fastest possible speed, takes some amount of time to travel a mile. If you could instantaneously go from 30 MPH to light speed you'd be very close but not exactly achieve a 60 MPH average speed.
I still disagree. The MPH speed of the car is simply a rate. It doesn't in any way imply time except when measuring distances travelled over time. The question, as posed, doesn't suggest anything about the time in which the trip takes place. Yes, you'll end up taking longer than 2 minutes and, as a function a full hour's trip, you'd be right that your average speed wasn't 60, but your average rate of travel was. And that's what the problem was asking. 30 + 90 = 120 / 2 = 60 average

You guys arguing this reminds me of an old Steven Wright standup routine:

"I was driving on the highway and a cop pulled me over - he said did you know you were speeding, doing 85 miles per hour in a 60 mile per hour zone? I replied: yeah, but I wasn't planning on being out that long..."

I guess this site explains the argument you guys are making, which again seems focused on the outcome (how far) rather than the instantaneous rate of travel.

https://sciencing.com/calculate-aver...h-6954798.html

Last edited by pdiddy972; 10-11-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:19 PM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

distance is given - 1 mile up hill and 1 mile down hill

speed = distance/time

30 mph = 1 mile/120 seconds
90 mph = 1 mile/40 seconds

2 miles(distance) / 160 seconds(time) = 45mph

Math is NOT that hard
defaria (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:20 PM
defaria
Safety Car

I still disagree.

You can disagree all you want, physics doesn't care.

The MPH speed of the car is simply a rate. It doesn't in any way imply time except when measuring distances travelled over time.
The very phrase MPH does not imply but rather directly states the rate in terms of miles (M) per hour (H) or M/H. How can you say "It doesn't in any way imply time except when measuring distances travelled[sic] over time"?

The question, as posed, doesn't suggest anything about the time in which the trip takes place.
The question sure does mention time as in the "H" in MPH. Even if we said "the car is traveling at an instantaneous speed of 60 MPH" we are effectively saying that at this current velocity, if we let an hour of time pass the car would be 60 miles from this point.

Yes, you'll end up taking longer than 2 minutes and, as a function a full hour's trip, you'd be right that your average speed wasn't 60, but your average rate of travel was. And that's what the problem was asking. 30 + 90 = 120 / 2 = 60 average
Your average rate of travel is your average speed and is defined (http://www.math.com/school/subject1/.../S1U2L3DP.html) as " rate equals distance divided by time: r = d/t" where r = the rate and d = distance (or in our case of MPH, the M) and t = time (or in our case the H in MPH). That's how it's defined. If you take more or less than 2 minutes to travel 2 miles your average speed is most definitely not 60 MPH. You've admitted that if you take longer than 2 minutes then "you'd be right that your average speed wasn't 60 (MPH <- implied)". But then you try to define this other thing that you're calling "average rate of travel", which is your average speed. You even say "The MPH speed of the car is simply a rate"!

Physics says your wrong, math says your wrong, the link you posted says your wrong, Einstein says your wrong but you insist that you disagree with all of that. Amazing...

But don't trust me. Present a scenario that you can travel 2 miles in more than 2 minutes and your average speed is considered 60 MPH.

I think what you are thinking is that you are trying to average two individual points of instantaneous speed, one being 30 MPH and the other being 90 MPH and then your averaging just those two individual instantaneous speed samples. But in reality there's an infinite number of samples of instantaneous speed that need to be accounted for that you are neglecting. That's not how it work. Average speed is the ratio of the distance traveled divided by the time it took to get there.

Last edited by defaria; 10-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
rasacrystal08 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:30 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by flenn
Well, even the Delorean can't exceed the speed of light which means the best you can do is cover the second mile in .0000053 seconds. Still not enough to get you to a 60mph average...
Incorrect my friend. Dr. Brown's DeLorean can travel through time, so the speed of light is not a limiting factor. In fact, via time travel you could cover the distance in less time than the 1 mile in 2 minutes took, essentially making up time an average speed.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

You can disagree all you want, physics doesn't care.

The very phrase MPH does not imply but rather directly states the rate in terms of miles (M) per hour (H) or M/H. How can you say "It doesn't in any way imply time except when measuring distances travelled[sic] over time"?

The question sure does mention time as in the "H" in MPH. Even if we said "the car is traveling at an instantaneous speed of 60 MPH" we are effectively saying that at this current velocity, if we let an hour of time pass the car would be 60 miles from this point.

Your average rate of travel is your average speed and is defined (http://www.math.com/school/subject1/.../S1U2L3DP.html) as " rate equals distance divided by time: r = d/t" where r = the rate and d = distance (or in our case of MPH, the M) and t = time (or in our case the H in MPH). That's how it's defined. If you take more or less than 2 minutes to travel 2 miles your average speed is most definitely not 60 MPH. You've admitted that if you take longer than 2 minutes then "you'd be right that your average speed wasn't 60 (MPH <- implied)". But then you try to define this other thing that you're calling "average rate of travel", which is your average speed. You even say "The MPH speed of the car is simply a rate"!

Physics says your wrong, math says your wrong, the link you posted says your wrong, Einstein says your wrong but you insist that you disagree with all of that. Amazing...

But don't trust me. Present a scenario that you can travel 2 miles in more than 2 minutes and your average speed is considered 60 MPH.

I think what you are thinking is that you are trying to average two individual points of instantaneous speed, one being 30 MPH and the other being 90 MPH and then your averaging just those two individual instantaneous speed samples. But in reality there's an infinite number of samples of instantaneous speed that need to be accounted for that you are neglecting. That's not how it work. Average speed is the ratio of the distance traveled divided by the time it took to get there.
Well it's obviously a trick question because of this exact argument over distinction, similar to the falling tree in a forest with no one around revolves around debate of whether sound is a vibration of a medium (not requiring a listener) or whether sound is a perceptual concept only occurring in a mind (requiring a listener).

Velocity and acceleration are likewise often conflated because acceleration is a rate of change of velocity (which itself has as a component, speed). My point is that if the question wants an average instantaneous velocity of travel of 60 the answer is 90. For those intent on extrapolating the distance traveled and working backwards to an effective MPH based on distance traveled there's obviously no answer since the 2 minutes was already spent in the first mile. Hence my answer since it's the only one that doesn't fall for the joke.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:26 PM
defaria
Safety Car

My point is that if the question wants an average instantaneous velocity of travel of 60 the answer is 90.
The original question was clear. From the original question "in order to average 60 mph over the entire two miles?". Clearly they were asking about average speed.

I don't know what you mean by "average instantaneous velocity of travel" but perhaps this sheds some light... https://www.enotes.com/homework-help...average-394370

Get notified of new replies

To A question of C7 speed

Old 10-12-2018, 07:44 AM
rasacrystal08
Instructor

Well it's obviously a trick question because of this exact argument over distinction, similar to the falling tree in a forest with no one around revolves around debate of whether sound is a vibration of a medium (not requiring a listener) or whether sound is a perceptual concept only occurring in a mind (requiring a listener).

Velocity and acceleration are likewise often conflated because acceleration is a rate of change of velocity (which itself has as a component, speed). My point is that if the question wants an average instantaneous velocity of travel of 60 the answer is 90. For those intent on extrapolating the distance traveled and working backwards to an effective MPH based on distance traveled there's obviously no answer since the 2 minutes was already spent in the first mile. Hence my answer since it's the only one that doesn't fall for the joke.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

I still disagree. The MPH speed of the car is simply a rate. It doesn't in any way imply time except when measuring distances travelled over time. The question, as posed, doesn't suggest anything about the time in which the trip takes place. Yes, you'll end up taking longer than 2 minutes and, as a function a full hour's trip, you'd be right that your average speed wasn't 60, but your average rate of travel was. And that's what the problem was asking. 30 + 90 = 120 / 2 = 60 average

You guys arguing this reminds me of an old Steven Wright standup routine:

"I was driving on the highway and a cop pulled me over - he said did you know you were speeding, doing 85 miles per hour in a 60 mile per hour zone? I replied: yeah, but I wasn't planning on being out that long..."

I guess this site explains the argument you guys are making, which again seems focused on the outcome (how far) rather than the instantaneous rate of travel.

https://sciencing.com/calculate-aver...h-6954798.html
Man, I hope you don't have a job that involves any kind of math, science, or financial duties...
The following 2 users liked this post by rrsperry:
defaria (10-12-2018), rasacrystal08 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:20 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

If I drive a mile at 30 MPH what was my average speed during that mile? 30

if I drive another mile at 90 MPH what was my average speed during that mile? 90

What was my average speed across both miles? 90 + 30 = 120. 120 / 2 = 60

Quick Reply: A question of C7 speed