Sponsored by:

I Can See Why Corvette Sales Trail Off So Much During the End of a Model Run

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 07:45 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
C7 sales have been dropping by 5000 units a year over the past two years. The argument could be made that everyone who wanted a C7 already has one. However, I believe that's only part of the story. After the Grand Sport, Z06 and ZR1 models are out, the models are essentially feature frozen until the next model run. They do almost no updating. It's not zero, but close to it.

I was looking at the Camaro, and I was blown away by how much it has been updated compared to the Corvette over the same period of time..

* LED headlights
* Phone wireless charging
* Gen 3 infotainment system with HD touch screen
* HD backup camera
* Blind spot monitoring
* Cross traffic alert
* Forward collision avoidance
* Electronic rear view mirror camera

One could argue that it's a sports car, and no one needs this technology. However, I keep hearing GM say they want younger buyers for the Corvette. Young people like new tech. They demand new tech in their cars. Some older buyers do, too. The more cars that get this technology, the more outdated the Corvette looks.

If you look at the Mustang, that car gets engine horsepower updates every year or two. The Corvette gets none.

When you buy a 2019 base Stingray, you are essentially buying a 2014 car. It's like sitting in a time capsule. You have to give people a reason to trade in their car for a new one. Corvette is not doing that, and the sales numbers reflect it.
I owned a 2016 Camaro 2SS. The C7 Corvette is a 100 times better, even without that extra safety tech. Most of the stuff on that list is overrated anyway. The wireless phone charging only supports certain phones and you can't even put your phone on it because it sits behind the center console. HD backup cam, the C7 got a rear camera upgrade in 2018. The safety tech is actually useful in the Camaro since the visibility is so bad but the rear traffic alert would require those annoying 4 sensor in the bumper, which look ugly. The rear view camera is interesting but it is one more electronic aid that could go wrong, good thing you can turn it off and resort to standard rear mirror if the spoiler mounted camera fails. Don't get me wrong, I think this tech is good and it is important to keep enhancing it but the Camaro has had better electronic and performance tech than the Mustang and yet the Mustang has outsold the Camaro this whole 6th generation. Now they jacked up the front fascia on the LT and SS models.

I agree that a majority of younger generation is more into car tech versus sports cars. That is what the Tesla represents. It is essentially the iPhone of automobiles. Electric motors with insane amounts of instant torque connected to batteries that can go 300 miles between charges and a car with over the air updates that will soon drive itself. Crazy, enjoy the V8 Corvette with a manual transmission while still exists.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:55 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Life cycles of 2 door cars generally trail off after three years no matter the brand unless incentives are applied.

gk did this for the 2017 model year and then backed off corvette incentives.

same for camaro incentives.

dodge has really been hitting the incentive and cash on the hood for the challenger.

thats why sales are so strong. The give away lease deals are hard to ignore.

even mustang has played hardball incentivising heir vehicle but no to the degree of dodge.

of course camaro and corvette unit sales would take a dive.

none of this is rocket science.

i fully expect c7 fire sales to begin in the final model year of the vehicle.

all that said while many will take advantage of the incentives applied to the amazing c7, c7 grand sport and z06 many of us will go full msrp on the c8.

Last edited by JerriVette; 10-14-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:33 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Life cycles of 2 door cars generally trail off after three years no matter the brand unless incentives are applied.

gk did this for the 2017 model year and then backed off corvette incentives.

same for camaro incentives.

dodge has really been hitting the incentive and cash on the hood for the challenger.

thats why sales are so strong. The give away lease deals are hard to ignore.

even mustang has played hardball incentivising heir vehicle but no to the degree of dodge.

of course camaro and corvette unit sales would take a dive.

none of this is rocket science.

i fully expect c7 fire sales to begin in the final model year of the vehicle.

all that said while many will take advantage of the incentives applied to the amazing c7, c7 grand sport and z06 many of us will go full msrp on the c8.
Porsche typically has a six year cycle, with a mid-cycle refresh to keep sales going.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:52 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
um, ok. But Camaro guy admits 'ros are falling off the cliff, saleswise. what i would hate, if i was a ZL1 buyer, is to see the planned Camaro push as the "economy alternative" sports car to Mustang, with tens of thousand of economy camaro's pushed out the door at $19,995, (plus 20% off MSRP, like chevy is advertising the Silverado in commercials now) for a car i paid 70k for.
Camro Cliff Diving
If the new GM Head Designer, Michael Simcoe, expects the new Lexus grill to help Camaro sales, I am worried hew will really screw up the design of the new C8.
I understand Mr. Simcoe wants to make GM styling his own, and Ed Welburn was certainly the best designer of a large auto company in his era, and some would say as good as Bill Mitchell, which makes it a hard road to pass, but if the few vehicles upgrades he as done are any indication, we might me seeing some Pontiac Aztec's in the future.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
If the new GM Head Designer, Michael Simcoe, expects the new Lexus grill to help Camaro sales, I am worried hew will really screw up the design of the new C8.
I understand Mr. Simcoe wants to make GM styling his own, and Ed Welburn was certainly the best designer of a large auto company in his era, and some would say as good as Bill Mitchell, which makes it a hard road to pass, but if the few vehicles upgrades he as done are any indication, we might me seeing some Pontiac Aztec's in the future.
I'm also very worried about it in this regard. Welburn left some big shoes to fill and the C7 ( a hard car to top) design wise. The overall design of the car is most important to me. Even more so then the performance. If they screw up design wise, I'm out. I'd personally never buy a car no matter its performance if I didn't absolutely love the way it looked (example, the GTR)...

Last edited by ssidekickbp; 10-16-2018 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:19 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Regarding upgraded and expanded tech: do competitive sports cars like the Porsche 911 and McLaren also have lane departure warning systems, wireless phone charging, etc? I would imagine that once you start piling on these features, the weight and complexity of the car will increase significantly. If comfort was my priority, I probably wouldn't be looking at a Corvette.....maybe a BMW 650 would be a better option.

A sports car is supposed to be simple and driver oriented. One of the most awesome cars I've been in is my friend's Factory Five Cobra. It has a lousy stereo and no A/C, but it weights less than 2500 pounds and has a 450 horsepower stroked 351 Windsor that will make you black out when he steps on the gas. On top of all this, it roars like a power boat and handles like a go cart. My 1LT Z51 is a Cadillac in comparison with its Bose stereo, iPhone integration, power everything, and touch-screen infotainment system. (Most of which, I can do without)

Don't forget that BMW and Porsche sell "stripped down" versions of their cars that cost thousands of dollars more than the luxury versions simply because they are more "sporty". Also, they tend to release these models toward the end of the model run to boost sales. This tells me that tons of features and updates are not necessarily what sells sports cars. Driving experience, however, does.

Quick Reply: I Can See Why Corvette Sales Trail Off So Much During the End of a Model Run