Sponsored by:

Wheel full turn

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 AM
mcioci
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Wheel full turn

I just got a 2014 Z51 Stingray and when I back out of my driveway, when I turn wheel all the way it feels like the tires are wobbly or rubbing. Does anyone have the same experience? Even when I make a u turn and turn wheel all the way it sounds like tires rubbing on body.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Lots of threads on this, don't worry it's normal for grippe tires. The outside edge of the front tires are traveling farther than the inside of the tire.....something has to slip, that's what you are hearing/feeling.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:13 AM
mcioci
Advanced

Originally Posted by hisvett
Lots of threads on this, don't worry it's normal for grippe tires. The outside edge of the front tires are traveling farther than the inside of the tire.....something has to slip, that's what you are hearing/feeling.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Yep, it's normal. They will also skip across the painted lines in parking lots when your turning.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:15 PM
OmarZ06
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Cars just getting its skipping workout done

Last edited by OmarZ06; 10-15-2018 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:35 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Every year, when it begins to turn cooler, these threads re-emerge. I noticed this weekend when the temp dipped into the 50s for the first time, they were skipping in low speed, tight turns in parking lots. The PSS doesn't do that when properly warmed up and sticky, and it's the signal that they have much reduced grip because the rubber compound is getting hard. That's also my cue for switching to my AS3+ set for winter use. They don't do that even in frigid temps.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:37 PM
mcioci
Advanced

Originally Posted by Foosh
Every year, when it begins to turn cooler, these threads re-emerge. I noticed this weekend when the temp dipped into the 50s for the first time, they were skipping in low speed, tight turns in parking lots. The PSS doesn't do that when properly warmed up and sticky, and it's the signal that they have much reduced grip because the rubber compound is getting hard. That's also my cue for switching to my AS3+ set for winter use. They don't do that even in frigid temps.
great info. I know my front tires will need to be replaced soon so im thinking about getting 4 new tires in the spring. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:45 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Yep, it's normal. They will also skip across the painted lines in parking lots when your turning.
This is not unique to C7 although more pronounced than on most vehicles. My Dodge Charger does the same thing on some surfaces when it's cold.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Other cars may do it as well, but it's primarily a tire issue with wide summer max performance tires in cold weather. Summer rubber compounds are soft when warm, and hard when cold. AS tire compounds are not as temperature sensitive, and are close to equally pliable across a wide range of temps.

My C7 does not do it on the AS3+ even at temps in the single digits. Likewise, it doesn't happen on the PSS either when pavement temps are above 80 or so.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-15-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:31 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Other cars may do it as well, but it's primarily a tire issue with wide summer max performance tires in cold weather.
Doesn't even take cold weather. My tires do it down here in FL with 90 degree heat. In the manual it just mentions tire chatter / hop at low speeds... nothing about temperature.

It scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened in a parking lot because I thought I hit or ran over something. Then I read the "normal things" thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ette-does.html and tire chatter was the item #1 item on the list.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

You mean you have not heard of the “Ackerman effect”. I believe that is the technical term for what you are experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
green2000 (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:33 PM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mcioci
I just got a 2014 Z51 Stingray and when I back out of my driveway, when I turn wheel all the way it feels like the tires are wobbly or rubbing. Does anyone have the same experience? Even when I make a u turn and turn wheel all the way it sounds like tires rubbing on body.
Yes I experienced the same thnig when I got my Stingray this year. I never drove a Vette prior to owning one, so this pull was super weird to me. I remember asking guys at work if this was normal or not, and if I needed to take it to the dealer for repairs. I thought I had a steering problem, but nope normal tire pull based on the threads. Happens both ways when you turn left and right. Particularly when going at slow speeds.

certainly normal. Get used to it! Enjoy the Vette!

Old 10-17-2018, 10:57 AM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I rarely have to turn my wheels to full lock on any of my vehicles,...……..It stresses a lot of components unnecessarily, Steering, tires, transmission, engine, all have to work harder to move the vehicle! Just DON'T do it.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 AM
mcioci
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chevette!?!?
I rarely have to turn my wheels to full lock on any of my vehicles,...……..It stresses a lot of components unnecessarily, Steering, tires, transmission, engine, all have to work harder to move the vehicle! Just DON'T do it.
Miya not at full turn. It’s at about 50%. I got my answer already. It’s the summer tires in the cold weather up here in the north east.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by mcioci
This is an explanation of why it happens and didn't in my C6 Z51 at 50 degrees! It's the tire slip angel. It's not directly Ackeman steering greomentery as with normal slip anlge tires the issue goes away with the same Ackerman geometry!
http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

It's worse when wet out- PDF shows why!

EASY SOLUTION:
In the summer when I back out of my driveway I make a full lock turn and no "chatter" as GM calls it to go down the driveway. When below 50 F and for sure at 45 F I turn the wheel a half turn less and make a "K" turn so I can go down the driveway. When it's 35F I turn the wheel even less and make 2 "K" turns! Works! Since the car is knew to you this is particularly important if backing out of a mall parking slot, needing a full lock turn and have a friend in the car. It gets so bad when colder your friend will tell all your buddies "What a piece of junk you bought"

I got my C7 Z51 in early October 2013 and there was no good explanation of why it was happening. GM's "it's normal" was not much consolation. Recall a post from that time when a poster said he was backing out of a parking slot after a late night dinner and it "Chattered or as GM also calls it Hopping" so bad he got out to look and see what broke. His wife wanted him to leave the car and call the dealer in the morning to have it flat bedded in! The PDF will at least allow you to discuss race car tire slip angels if you forget when you have a friend in the car!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:36 AM
eagleye
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 46 Posts

There is a notation in my owners book about this. It is normal and does not require service.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

^^^

Yep, a simple "It's Normal" in the Owner's Manual. They also included a tag on the shifter with newer C7s. When I got my first C7 in October 2013 no explanation other than, "It's normal." Since this was not an issue with my C6 Z51 with the same width tires, wondered why. That is what caused me to do the research and found tire slip angle, more like a racing tire, was the answer. That is why, with the same Ackerman steering geometry. the issue goes away with most all season tires that have "normal" slip angles (see Link in post #15.)

However the tire construction is what gives those high lateral "g" numbers in a turn. Well worth using the workaround of not turning the wheel full lock when below ~45F and making a "K" turn. Only an issue with slow tight turns. Goes away when the tires heat up from driving and all normal road speeds.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-18-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel full turn

Old 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM
11top
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see a number of posts indicating it's "normal," but should it be avoided if possible? (2019 Z06) Is it hard on the car or tires?

BTW, I had 3 Vipers prior to my new Vette, and all 3 had this issue. And, my new Vette blows all of my Vipers away, no contest.

Last edited by 11top; 10-29-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:05 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
You mean you have not heard of the “Ackerman effect”. I believe that is the technical term for what you are experiencing.
I believe the C7 newbie term is "ACK! erman"....
Old 10-29-2018, 11:24 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Normal but, disconserting none the less!!!

Quick Reply: Wheel full turn