Sponsored by:

OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:23 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Null Pointer
<snip> I've heard of people on here having problems cancelling after giving onstar their credit card number.<snip>
You can get a 'virtual' credit card number for most credit cards which is good for a specific vendor, amount and/or time. If you use that, OnStar (or whoever) can not keep billing you If you cancel at the end of the current period. If you do decide to use the service you can feed the virtual number more $ and/or time.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:34 AM
markeaux
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm experimenting with the Security plan for the remote alarm monitoring. I got an alert on my phone in the middle of the night when at my GF's apartment, but I didn't hear it. Next morning when I unlocked and got in it there was an alarm message in the DIC, but car was fine. I guess the horn alarm scared them off. I have since installed the Gorilla wheel locks where each lug nut is a lock.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:11 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by markeaux
I'm experimenting with the Security plan for the remote alarm monitoring. I got an alert on my phone in the middle of the night when at my GF's apartment, but I didn't hear it. Next morning when I unlocked and got in it there was an alarm message in the DIC, but car was fine. I guess the horn alarm scared them off. I have since installed the Gorilla wheel locks where each lug nut is a lock.
Oh yeah.... lot of good that does. LOL
Old 10-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Slynky
Oh yeah.... lot of good that does. LOL
Well, knowing there was an attempted theft is better than not knowing.
It prompted him to get the full set of Gorilla nuts which are not foolproof but a lot better than nothing.
He might park in a different place or even get a new GF.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Well, knowing there was an attempted theft is better than not knowing.
It prompted him to get the full set of Gorilla nuts which are not foolproof but a lot better than nothing.
He might park in a different place or even get a new GF.
Well, I was commenting because sending a message to the DIC of the vehicle currently being stolen seems weird... LOL...

As to prompting him to get Gorilla nuts all around, the message from his app to his phone did that (without the need to a put it on the DIC).

Only commented because it seemed a bit on the silly side (to me). YMMV
Old 10-24-2018, 01:51 PM
markeaux
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe the DIC message that the alarm went off is just part of the standard messaging GM wrote into the alarm software. I also saw a similar message on my 15 Yukon Denali. It's just more of an informational message to the driver the next time they entered the vehicle, and I assume the horn alarm did trip as well during the incident. If I didn't have the push messaging to my phone via OnStar, then I might never have known the alarm had tripped.

On a related note, there have been several security cam videos of wheel thefts in apartment/condo parking lots and home driveways here in Austin TX. An Escalade just one block from my home had its wheels stolen when parked in their driveway two years ago.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

I didn't sign up. Most irritating thing is that it's built in to the rearview mirror so I accidentally make calls when adjusting or cleaning it..
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Big
I didn't sign up. Most irritating thing is that it's built in to the rearview mirror so I accidentally make calls when adjusting or cleaning it..
Given how small the mirror is I can see that happening often. My solution: I unplugged the mirror because those lights drove me crazy. Whose idea was it to use RED and BLUE in a mirror? Other car's I've owned used green or orange for various mirror functions.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:39 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,371 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Default Why O Why

If our car is stolen, I don't want it back. So no need to go find it. If I have a wreck I have a cell phone and AAA. If I can't make the call, I don't need the phone anyway. Someone steals our wheels, I'll call USAA and get some new ones. Our car is not a church, it is a tool of fun. And we keep it that way.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mister Big
LOL... never thought of that (of course, I've yet to wash mine so...)

Quick Reply: OnStar