Sponsored by:

Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:39 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,824 Likes on 5,638 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Your Toyota experience has been much different than mine. My Toyota Camry XLE has been nothing short of a pile of garbage. Poor panel fittment, paper thin body panels that vibrate at speed, poor ventilation system, **** poor acceleration, poorly made transmission, unexplained acceleration, intermittent AM/FM/XM radio operation, unable to pair with cell phone, dashboard coming apart at the seams, wheels studs badly rusting to name a few issues. I'd take a Corvette with 200,000 miles on it and with bent wheels and paint issues before I ever consider another Toyota. Toyota is way over rated.
Wow, you don't hear Toyota bashing very often.
My Toyota Tacoma 4x4 has 412,000 miles on it and has basically been trouble free except the normal brakes, batteries, alt, starter replacements. Has never been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot 22 years ago.
So pleased with it I just bought a new one a couple months ago.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:55 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
My Toyota Tacoma 4x4 has 412,000 miles on it and has basically been trouble free except the normal brakes, batteries, alt, starter replacements. Has never been back to the dealer since I drove it off the lot 22 years ago.

Wow! That's impressive. I've got a 2011 Prius. Its only got 150,000 miles on it, and I haven't had anything other than requisite maintenance items and wear parts break. I beat the hell out of it too! I don't know if the hybrid system will last 400,000 miles, but I plan to keep it until it has about 200,000, then trade it for a new one. The guy on here with the defective Camry got a lemon or a flood car or something......Toyotas are some of the toughest cars on the road!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:19 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

So this is the front wheel of my 1LT Z51. Same chipping....and it's the same on all four wheels. I noticed it at about 1500 miles. I'm not really happy about it, but wrote it off as a result of the design of these wheels.

I could let it bother me, but I choose not to. This car is so much fun to drive (which is what I bought it for). If you drive your car, it's going to get nicks and chips, no matter what you do. Eventually, even your special edition GS is going to get old and you're going to want the next best thing on the market. Just enjoy it!
Old 10-27-2018, 08:22 AM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy346

So this is the front wheel of my 1LT Z51. Same chipping....and it's the same on all four wheels. I noticed it at about 1500 miles. I'm not really happy about it, but wrote it off as a result of the design of these wheels.

I could let it bother me, but I choose not to. This car is so much fun to drive (which is what I bought it for). If you drive your car, it's going to get nicks and chips, no matter what you do. Eventually, even your special edition GS is going to get old and you're going to want the next best thing on the market. Just enjoy it!
Bingo!

If you want to keep these cars pristine & without a scratch, save yourself the 50 plus grand and just buy a die cast model.

It's a car, it's going to get nicks and chips and dirty and used. If it's not then what is the point??
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Riverdog
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 78 Posts

I don't have a dog in this fight over the black wheels pitting, scratching,etc., since I have chrome wheels on my C6; but how some your posters are calmly willing to pay additional money to have your "already-paid-extra-for-as-an-option" black wheels dismounted and then powder coated just amazes me! I've spent considerable money on after-market items for my car, but at the price points Corvettes sell for I think it's reasonable for a buyer to expect a high level of quality in the factory finish of ALL parts of the car, wheels included, so that they would not need to be refinished/repainted after only a few thousand miles of use. Hopefully the new "paint shop" in Bowling Green is putting out better paint jobs on the car bodies, but perhaps GM should get on their wheel suppliers' case(s) about the finish quality of their products.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 AM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverdog
I don't have a dog in this fight over the black wheels pitting, scratching,etc., since I have chrome wheels on my C6; but how some your posters are calmly willing to pay additional money to have your "already-paid-extra-for-as-an-option" black wheels dismounted and then powder coated just amazes me! I've spent considerable money on after-market items for my car, but at the price points Corvettes sell for I think it's reasonable for a buyer to expect a high level of quality in the factory finish of ALL parts of the car, wheels included, so that they would not need to be refinished/repainted after only a few thousand miles of use. Hopefully the new "paint shop" in Bowling Green is putting out better paint jobs on the car bodies, but perhaps GM should get on their wheel suppliers' case(s) about the finish quality of their products.
Yeah... otherwise, people will need to Xpel their wheels...
Old 10-27-2018, 01:16 PM
TJC333
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 2017 Grand Sport with chrome wheels. The car has five track days on it, three thousand miles and the wheels still look brand new. Could be those mountain roads have lots of tiny pebbles that are hitting the wheels because of the brake cooling ducts. Mine is also a 3LT however the dash does not have the wrinkles like yours thank god. Looks very strange. Wonder if its the glue reacting to all that time in the sun when the car was at the dealership.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:23 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Slynky
Yeah... that seems like weird logic. Had my 370Z 9 years and detailed it before selling it at the beginning of the month. My wheels didn't look like that at all ! (49,000 miles).
This was explained by Bill Dearborn and others in earlier posts. If you take the wheels off a Z51 and above equipped C7 and examine the brake cooling ducts, you'll see exactly how air is directed at the wheels/brakes from behind and understand how rocks and gravel could be directed through the wheels by the high velocity airflow.

Obviously, your 370Z was not similarly equipped with what is considered to be a superior design for brake cooling reasons. The C7 was built to be a handling performance car, not garage art.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JimNeedsC7 (10-27-2018), Maxie2U (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:41 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,109 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

Was it ever reframed by Toyota ? I know a few of my friends Tacoma’s failed the Toyota “ hammer test “ since the frames fail from the inside and Toyota put new frames under them.

Sadly another friend with a Highlander wasn’t so lucky. His was out of warranty when his frame failed.
Old 10-27-2018, 01:50 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,105 Likes on 876 Posts

The damage your pictures show looks very similar to a Friend's Mustang after a Snow plow/ Sand truck turned on the sand release while the Mustang was behind the truck. He was over 200' behind the vehicle at 60+ mph yet the sand destroyed his windshield and Sand Blasted the two front wheels taking some of their finish right off.

After a winter there would be lots of this sand on the roads just waiting for a Z06 or a GS to come cruising along. Does the original poster drive his car all year long in North Carolina? They put a lot of sand down on the interstates to keep them open. Is the damage on all four wheels or JUST the front? The damage is going to be predominately on the two front wheels from road debris.

Riding a motorcycle makes one VERY aware of sand on the roads during the winter and in the early spring months.

I have had Chrome wheels and painted wheels and had issues with both of them. I bought a new Cadillac STS years ago and it came with Chrome wheels, they lasted less than 18 months before they really looked like poop with the de-laminating and bubbling of the chrome. GM said that the Chrome problems were not covered by their warranty. They did offer to replace them if I paid 50% of the cost of Cadillac Chrome wheels. They blamed it on corrosive brake dust that was not removed in time so therefore it was not their problem.

When driving hard some of the dust gets hot and can be corrosive on the wheels. My daughters Camaro had that warning regarding the 20" rims that were painted silver. The suggestion was to never leave brake dust on the rim for any period longer than two weeks....

I am now to the point that I will not buy any more Factory Chrome wheels. Powder coating a wheel makes little sense as it gets damaged by heat very easily. Aluminum gets eaten by Corrosive Brake Dust so what is left to use?

Epoxy coatings might be the answer as it is really hard and very tough to hurt, far tougher than ordinary powder coating. I guess we could try that new rubberized paint that peels right off when you want it to and try that on the wheels. If you get a scratch or chip you peel off the old coating and spray on a new fresh look anytime you want to.

CR is probably owned by the Japanese as according to them Japan can do no wrong with their cars, they certainly hate American and German cars or any option to a Japanese car. I would not trust their reviews on toilet paper let alone a car.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Foosh
This was explained by Bill Dearborn and others in earlier posts. If you take the wheels off a Z51 and above equipped C7 and examine the brake cooling ducts, you'll see exactly how air is directed at the wheels/brakes from behind and understand how rocks and gravel could be directed through the wheels by the high velocity airflow.

Obviously, your 370Z was not similarly equipped with what is considered to be a superior design for brake cooling reasons. The C7 was built to be a handling performance car, not garage art.
Bill's statements explain how the ducting works, but don't explain why our silver painted wheels with ~25,000 miles over most of the US, sanded winter roads and desert roads, some gravel roads; still look better than Bill346. There's well over a dozen C7 Z51/GS/Z06 cars in our club, typically 10k-20k miles; I don't do concours inspections but don't notice any wheel issues and no one is complaining.
Small debris is damaging some of the wheels out there but not all of them.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

No doubt it's better or worse depending on the road conditions you're typically driving upon.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:13 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 781 Likes on 472 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

Plasti-dip them to protect them.
Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,104 Likes on 855 Posts

Send documentation (with vulgar delete) to GM CEO Mary Barra. She won't read it but her staff will forward your complaint to the regional manager for your area. The regional manager speaks for GM, not the dealership. Drop a hint that this is a PR nightmare for you and that you are on the Corvette Forum, a loyal customer to-date blah blah blah. Be nice as possible but firm.

By documentation I mean Who, What, When, Where, How, and Why. Pics help. Approach this as good cop, bad cop.

Let us know the final disposition.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,742 Likes on 3,018 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think that you have a valid point with the dashboard, the wheels are just wear & tear
Old 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,777 Likes on 3,185 Posts

I have same issue. Everyone does who actually drive and enjoy their cars here.

the more open the design the qorst the sandblasting is.

if you have them repaired and they dont powdercoat them? It's a waste.

just let it be and move along. Enjoy the car. Because it's going to keep happening.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS

Old 10-27-2018, 07:14 PM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
and
Old 10-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,824 Likes on 5,638 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Was it ever reframed by Toyota ? I know a few of my friends Tacoma’s failed the Toyota “ hammer test “ since the frames fail from the inside and Toyota put new frames under them.
Sadly another friend with a Highlander wasn’t so lucky. His was out of warranty when his frame failed.

Never re-framed, solid as a rock, like I said, it's never been back to the dealer since I drove it off their lot 22 years ago.
Mine's always been stored out in the weather. You must have some un-lucky friends or noticing you live Va Beach, some run their Tacomas on the beach and salt water which of course doesn't do the metal components any good.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 10-27-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Crap like this makes people not want to buy GM, especially when you start replacing the wheels anyway because they are damaged too easily.

The dash problem has been going on since 2008. Apparently when the replaced almost every part of the C6 to make the C7 one was not the adhesive that holds the dash on. However my friends 08 and my 13 both are in good shape now. I just wipe it off with a damp rag, no 303, armor all, etc.

My wife's 18 Equinox has a heated steering wheel that actually gets hotter in the sun then turning the heat on. GM says normal. She has Raynard's Syndrome where her fingers turn white when it is 60 degrees out or so. Since the GM cars are the same we'll be going with another manufacturer.

Then GM dropped the powertrain warranty down to 60k a few years ago. They don't have much confidence the powertrain will make 100k without a repair.

And when they stop making the C7 they'll stop making some C7 unique parts just like they did with the C6.

Last edited by phileaglesfan; 10-27-2018 at 07:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffer (10-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS