Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 01:16 PM
L82Brake
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

I feel for you. The pitting so quickly on my GS black rims is my biggest complaint. I noticed it at 1000 miles. I am considering powder coating as a winter project.

Nobody going to insist it's the brake dust?

Last edited by L82Brake; 10-26-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MMD

Your Toyota experience has much different than mine. My Toyota Camry XLE has been nothing short of a pile of garbage. Poor panel fittment, paper thin body panels that vibrate at speed, poor ventilation system, **** poor acceleration, poorly made transmission, unexplained acceleration, intermittent AM/FM/XM radio operation, unable to pair with cell phone, dashboard coming apart at the seams, wheels studs badly rusting to name a few issues. I'd take a Corvette with 200,000 miles on it and with bent wheels and paint issues before I ever consider another Toyota. Toyota is way over rated.
Perhaps I'm a little luckier with Toyota and you are unlucky. Small number don't produce accurate predictions.
But the newspaper yesterday reported that as compiled by Consumer Reports, the top two brands for reliability in the US are Lexus and Toyota, all the GM brands are in the lower half of the chart.
Members here love to quote CR when it praises the Corvette and flame CR when they criticize it. I don't think their reliability statistics, which are reported by their readers, are perfect. But I can't think of a better way to get the numbers.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Regarding OP's wheels, we have a set of the GM factory silver painted wheels on our 2017 Z51, which also has the deflectors. The wheels, purchased used, now have 25-30k miles on all sorts of crummy roads, and are in far better conditions than OP's.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:59 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
I have the black machine faced wheels on my Z51, 18000+ miles they are not as bad as yours.
Do you bring your car to a automated car wash?
Nope, i have a side business of professional detailing. Power washer, foam cannon. Never automated car wash. Yikes!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L82Brake
I feel for you. The pitting so quickly on my GS black rims is my biggest complaint. I noticed it at 1000 miles. I am considering powder coating as a winter project.

Nobody going to insist it's the brake dust?
According to a GM engineer, "the wheels gather rocks and debris on the inside and then spit them out/funnel them to the outer area near the spokes".

First time I have ever heard of a car/wheel doing that. Taking rocks from one side of the tire, slinging them through the center, and out through the exterior side. Yea....ok GM.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:02 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Regarding OP's wheels, we have a set of the GM factory silver painted wheels on our 2017 Z51, which also has the deflectors. The wheels, purchased used, now have 25-30k miles on all sorts of crummy roads, and are in far better conditions than OP's.
I have the extended mud flaps, side skirts, and 4K miles and do not drive on to construction sites daily. Car shows and nice cruises through the mountain on nicely paved roads. I guess NC needs street sweepers everywhere.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:03 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by nikeair042
According to a GM engineer, "the wheels gather rocks and debris on the inside and then spit them out/funnel them to the outer area near the spokes".

First time I have ever heard of a car/wheel doing that. Taking rocks from one side of the tire, slinging them through the center, and out through the exterior side. Yea....ok GM.
Regardless of the mechanism, it seems hard to argue that the pitting isn't the result of road rash, IMHO of course....
Old 10-26-2018, 02:06 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Perhaps I'm a little luckier with Toyota and you are unlucky. Small number don't produce accurate predictions.
But the newspaper yesterday reported that as compiled by Consumer Reports, the top two brands for reliability in the US are Lexus and Toyota, all the GM brands are in the lower half of the chart.
Members here love to quote CR when it praises the Corvette and flame CR when they criticize it. I don't think their reliability statistics, which are reported by their readers, are perfect. But I can't think of a better way to get the numbers.
CR has had a foreign bias for 30-40 years. I pay no attention to their reviews as I find them unreliable. I have looked at the quality of Toyota products for many years and I am not impressed. Paper thin panels, poor fittment. Same issues I have seen with my Camry. I'll stick with Corvette regardless of the issues that come up. I feel it's a much better designed and constructed vehicle as compared with any Toyota.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:19 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042

IMO...
  1. The wheels look like they are seeing normal wear. My suggestion (same thing I did) is to get them powder coated. Will still see some of the peppering but I'd say that it's 95% mitigated with PC.
  2. The Dash, to me looks to be grain in the leather. When it starts lifting from the dash is when I'd really be concerned. Honestly, I think the dash looks fine (good even) as I see the characteristics of the grain coming out.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:29 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

They are right to deny coverage under warranty.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:34 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Same wheel pitting here. Mine is a show car, I'm washing and wiping 1-2X a week every inch. I don't buy the break dust build up.
I'm at 12,000 miles, a daily driver in the Northeast, and am already thinking ahead to Fix the wheels somehow???? I'm not spending $ 1,500 per 15,000 mile for new wheels after a MSRP of $ 94K. Please someone invent something!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:37 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bankers1
Same wheel pitting here. Mine is a show car, I'm washing and wiping 1-2X a week every inch. I don't buy the break dust build up.
I'm at 12,000 miles, a daily driver in the Northeast, and am already thinking ahead to Fix the wheels somehow???? I'm not spending $ 1,500 per 15,000 mile for new wheels after a MSRP of $ 94K. Please someone invent something!
forged wheels, not painted maybe???
Old 10-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MMD

CR has had a foreign bias for 30-40 years. I pay no attention to their reviews as I find them unreliable. I have looked at the quality of Toyota products for many years and I am not impressed. Paper thin panels, poor fittment. Same issues I have seen with my Camry. I'll stick with Corvette regardless of the issues that come up. I feel it's a much better designed and constructed vehicle as compared with any Toyota.
The CR reliability numbers are provided by the reader surveys, so the many thousands of readers would have to be the source of bias.
More likely, the readers are biased toward cars that are reliable. CR has praised many American cars and panned many foreign ones.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (10-27-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:03 PM
Joe C5 C2
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 91 Likes on 70 Posts

The pitting of the black wheels has been discussed on here before and it does appear that the design of the fins/spokes on the wheels puts that small outer area in the airstream for abrasion to occur. What I think could be a reasonable solution would be to have small pieces of XPel to place in that area to protect it. You would need ten small pieces per Z51 wheel to cover the leading edges for example. Maybe we should contact them to make a pattern so it could be cut out and applied. This approach would be a lot easier than buying a large sheet and manually trying to cut the quantity necessary to do all four wheels. I know that I would spring for such a kit. XPel are you out there listening??
Old 10-26-2018, 03:20 PM
MMD
Safety Car

The CR reliability numbers are provided by the reader surveys, so the many thousands of readers would have to be the source of bias.
More likely, the readers are biased toward cars that are reliable. CR has praised many American cars and panned many foreign ones.
Don't think we should hijack this thread discussing Consumer Report ratings. CR methods have been highly criticized
and are far from being a perfect means for judging vehicle reliabilty. Their methodology in attaining these rankings is dubious. Check this out yourself.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:49 PM
stab1991
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

The marks on the leather are stretch marks. Higher end cars will not use the stretch marks on wide open leather expanses such an dashes and doors. They normally get cut up and used in more hidden areas.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:55 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Not trying to start a black rim vs chrome rim argument here, but I own BOTH chrome and black Z51 rims - my black rims look horrible most of the time - scratches, tiny holes, dull looking paint - you name it. My chrome rims have DOUBLE the mileage and look brand new.

Think about a black car just driving down the road, how dirty it gets - now drag that same black exterior body panel down close to the road, like the height of a rim...how dirty / damaged do you think it would get then...? Probably as dirty / damaged as our black painted rims...right?
My 16 z51 has chrome wheels with 20k miles on them. They are flaking and show signs of bubbling from corrosion. I bought it from the original owner so no surprise I knew about it upfront. I will be taking it to my dealer soon to see what if anything they will do under warranty.

Get notified of new replies

To Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS

Old 10-26-2018, 04:01 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by stab1991
The marks on the leather are stretch marks. Higher end cars will not use the stretch marks on wide open leather expanses such an dashes and doors. They normally get cut up and used in more hidden areas.
I was going to mention this in my earlier post... that it must have been from a fat cow, but didn't want to offend any women.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:07 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lol .....
Old 10-26-2018, 04:09 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
  1. The wheels look like they are seeing normal wear.
  2. The Dash, to me looks to be grain in the leather.
The rock shooting thing is just some excuse made up by someone who doesn't really know what happened. If I had to guess I would say its from hot melted brake bits

The following 3 users liked this post by JMII:
HooosierDaddy (10-26-2018), jimmie jam (10-26-2018), JimNeedsC7 (10-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied - Listen to this BS