Used Z51 vs GS values

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:17 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Used Z51 vs GS values

Thinking about getting another Corvette. Been looking at 16+ M7 Z51 2LT coupes which seem to be going in the high 40’s. Grand Sports which started in 17 are in the low to mid 50’s. or I should say can be found for that. All with miles in the mid-teens.

I looked at KBB and they show almost an identical value for a 16 Z51 and 17 GS both with 2LT and mid teen mileage. I would think the +1 year and even more so a GS vs. a regular coupe would bring a lot more money, but that doesn’t seem to be the case…. Even found a 15 ZO6 3LZ with 32k for $59k which is crazy.

Any speculation as to why the 16 Z51 and 17 GS would be so close in value?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Quote from new car salesman to customer, who is saying KBB puts a higher trade-in value on his car than salesman will allow:

"If KBB really thinks it's worth that much, then they should buy it from you."

We bought a Z51 instead of a GS because the Z51 fits our needs better. But I expect that come trade-in time, our Z51 will be worth 2k-5k les than a similar GS.
Unless people suddenly decide that the differences of the GS produce more pain than pleasure.
Last year we bought the Z51, a friend bought an identical GS. This year, he said to me "Since we're not running on a track, you really did buy the better car."
Everyone gets to make their own decisions.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:18 PM
chronage
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

The newer GS is a no-brainer if the price difference is only a few grand, especially if you had planned on modding the Z51 -- the GS comes with most things you'd want to add from the factory.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

The Z51 is the value play, day in and out. Many feel it's a lot more attractive and pleasing to the eye as well.

.If you want a lot of useless stuff that's going to cost you up the ying-yang $$ going forward - then the GS is for you.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:55 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Sometimes KBB values are skewed on cars with relatively low volume on the used car market. The GS having only been on the market for 2 model years (3 if you want to count people selling their 2019 GS already) the volume will be much less than the data available for Z51 trims, which has been around since 2014?

Case in point, if I were to punch in all the info for my BMW Z4 M Coupe, KBB spits back a value of about $24K. And for a 12 year old car you might think the value is high, but since there's only 1,800 of them sold in the U.S. and 4,000 made world wide, it's unlikely to have a ton of transactional data to go by. Just by judging on private party sales and a variety of anecdotal data from visiting the fore-sales forums on BMW sites, my particular coupe with it's relative low miles at 50K miles SHOULD fetch north of $32K, if I would ever part with it.

KBB values are far more accurate on cars that's got a higher transactional rate on used car market, and have had a longer time being on sale on the used car market. Check C6 GS vs. Base prices on KBB and you'll see much more accurate representation of the difference each car should fetch.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The Z51 is the value play, day in and out. Many feel it's a lot more attractive and pleasing to the eye as well.

.If you want a lot of useless stuff that's going to cost you up the ying-yang $$ going forward - then the GS is for you.
This is just wrong, but what else is new... lol.

Just going by new prices, if you put the mag ride in the z51, then the difference between a z51 and a GS is about $3k. For that 3K, with the GS, you get the wide body, bigger wheels, improved suspension components, improved cooling, bigger brakes, better spoiler, front splitter and side skirts. Clearly, the GS is the better value, which is why since they came out, they have outsold z51s. And buyers are aware of this as evidenced by the fact that they sold 2,569 GS's in 2018 vs 3,068 stingrays (and only 24% of those were z51's...).

The only reason you choose a z51 over a GS is because you don't like the wide body look, but even then, you might as well just get a stingray then.

If the price is close on a used GS and z51 and the cars are in similar condition, you'd be nuts to choose the z51.
The following 2 users liked this post by kennyjames21:
H Watkins (11-09-2018), Kevin A Jones (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:17 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Good info all, greatly appreciated.
I think the Stingray with the right wheels and the GS front grill looks great, but certainly I do like the looks of the GS better.

The two things that appeal to me about a Z51 is I suspect it's easier to break the rear loose coming off corners and in some respects is more playful.... Plus your tire bills should be a little less and typically you save a little bit of money on the purchase. But when I see that I can get a 1lt GS for Z51 money or a 2LT GS for $4k, yes, I worry it might be nuts to not get the GS. The one Z51 I'm looking at is certified, so does have an extended warranty and some included maintenance.

How are the suspension components different on a GS VS a Z51. I thought they were the same. Also the GS always has mag ride and the Z51 it's a stand alone option? I have it on my SS sedan and am very impressed by it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21

Just going by new prices, if you put the mag ride in the z51, then the difference between a z51 and a GS is about $3k. For that 3K, with the GS, you get the wide body, bigger wheels, improved suspension components, improved cooling, bigger brakes, better spoiler, front splitter and side skirts. Clearly, the GS is the better value, which is why since they came out, they have outsold z51s. And buyers are aware of this as evidenced by the fact that they sold 2,569 GS's in 2018 vs 3,068 stingrays (and only 24% of those were z51's...).

The only reason you choose a z51 over a GS is because you don't like the wide body look, but even then, you might as well just get a stingray then.

If the price is close on a used GS and z51 and the cars are in similar condition, you'd be nuts to choose the z51.
You're one of the fools that buys for resale THEN?!

Many of us would pay more NOT to get all THAT cr@p of the GS.. LOL!

Thank God, there's still Z51 purists that realize the Z51, isn't the crutch that some of the GS fan boys that paid $11,000.00 to drive the GS to prop them
​​​​​​​up.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:26 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm glad I went with the GS just based on looks alone. The mag ride is just a great bonus.

​​​​​​No regrets going with the GS in the least!
Old 11-08-2018, 02:54 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

My next car will be my 60th at 48 years old, so I am a fool that does consider resale, because I have car ADD!
The following users liked this post:
HooosierDaddy (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 03:16 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

The Base (non-Z51) is the value play. Once you add the Z51 package to a Stingray you would be foolish not to step up to the Grand Sport for only $3200 more msrp. If you don't like the look of the wide-body then so be it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:22 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

You're one of the fools that buys for resale THEN?!

Many of us would pay more NOT to get all THAT cr@p of the GS.. LOL!

Thank God, there's still Z51 purists that realize the Z51, isn't the crutch that some of the GS fan boys that paid $11,000.00 to drive the GS to prop them
up.
The GS is not $11k more than a Stingray with Z51, it is $3200 more msrp. If the two cars are sitting side by side the better buy is the GS, it has nothing to do with being a fan boy. Bigger 6 piston brakes and rotors, FE6 suspension with mag ride, side skirts, front spoiler and different rear spolier, wide body, bigger wheels and tires. I owned a Stingray and one of the biggest complaints I had was how traction limited it is. The GS with its 335 rear tires can actually put the power down much better than the 285 tires on the Stingray. The GS also feel more more planted than a Stingray. Again, for $3200 you would be foolish to buy the Z51 Stingray unless you just don't like the look of it.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by falcon5619
I owned a Stingray and one of the biggest complaints I had was how traction limited it is.
For some of us with immature tendencies, this is a selling point! And for someone who has raced cars for 20 something years, I appreciate the challenge of having to actually drive a little more and find the limits of the car more easily. Today's sports cars and sport sedan are so unbelievably competent and have so much grip, that most really are not driving these cars. They are along for the ride.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:34 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm sure maintenance cost is vastly different when it comes to upkeep, especially if the GS has the carbon ceramic brakes. We all love Corvettes... but when it comes to Z51 vs GS you might as well be talking Republican vs Democrat.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:36 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

I will modestly disagree with you.

The GS is a ZO6 without the engine so the added "stuff" isn't "useless" and very different than the Z51 underpinnings.
Starting with brakes, I'd rather be in a GS at a track day.
Assume both have Mag Ride.
The Z51 oil changes will cost the same...the Z51 tires will be less than a GS.
When you are in either one you can't see the narrow body vs. the wide body.
When I see either at Cars & Coffee I don't have a favorite. They both look good.

That's just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
We all love Corvettes... but when it comes to Z51 vs GS you might as well be talking Republican vs Democrat.
Ok, let's not get carried away!! I think politicians can learn something from the Corvette community. I don't know of any marque car that has such a great mix of different backgrounds and interests. It's a great melting pot and I think we all respect each other and our differences.

I'm going to work both deals and see which one makes more sense for me. It's a win either way I go.
The following users liked this post:
G8R-Vette (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
mtaxman
Burning Brakes

Received 335 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I'm going to work both deals and see which one makes more sense for me. It's a win either way I go.
atta boy...see what you can do and then be happy with the outcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Used Z51 vs GS values

Old 11-08-2018, 04:53 PM
RaceMic
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 62 Posts

The upgraded brakes on my GS just saved me from a horrible accident which very likely would have totaled the car (and maybe me). I doubt that stock brakes would have yielded the same results. The GS is worth every penny.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:03 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21

Originally Posted by falcon5619
The GS is not $11k more than a Stingray with Z51, it is $3200 more msrp. If the two cars are sitting side by side the better buy is the GS, it has nothing to do with being a fan boy. Bigger 6 piston brakes and rotors, FE6 suspension with mag ride, side skirts, front spoiler and different rear spolier, wide body, bigger wheels and tires. I owned a Stingray and one of the biggest complaints I had was how traction limited it is. The GS with its 335 rear tires can actually put the power down much better than the 285 tires on the Stingray. The GS also feel more more planted than a Stingray. Again, for $3200 you would be foolish to buy the Z51 Stingray unless you just don't like the look of it.
It’s all personal preference. I chose the Z51 over the GS because I don’t like the GS’s wide body, spoiler, front splitter, side skirts, wider tires, etc. To each his own. There is no right or wrong here. Everyone should enjoy what they have and stop the silly arguing about it.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:16 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Absolutely disagree.

Bought my 2014 Laguna Blue Z51/2LT/M7/MRS/NPP/transparent roof/red calipers/Nav for $62,600 NEW in 2013.

Just paid $64,740 for a 2019 ELBM M7 GS with 2LT/transparent roof/red calipers/NAV-PDR.

Hardly costing "up the ying yang" compared to a 5 year old C7

You sure bitch about the wrong things.....

Last edited by KenHorse; 11-08-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Used Z51 vs GS values