2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default M7 Shifting - How to Smooth Out 1st & 2nd Gear Shifts

I took delivery of my M7 2019 Z06/Z07 in July and this is my first manual since driving a work truck in college. Although I don't stall out the car, etc., I do feel as though my 1st gear and 2nd gear shifts could be a lot smoother.

When I originally learned how to drive a manual, I was taught to slowly let out the clutch moving from neutral (stopped) to 1st gear and from 1st gear to 2nd gear so you don't get the abrupt car shake, etc. and then release the clutch faster when shifting into higher gears. However, it seems with the Z06, my neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd gear shifts still are choppy as most cars don't have this kind of HP/torque. I was also originally taught that you let off the throttle when shifting up into higher gears and then rev the throttle when shifting down but the Rev Match pretty much equals out the downshifts, however I'm wondering what tips CF has for evening out the 1st and 2nd gear shifts.

I'm getting better but it seems as though my left leg still can't capture the sweet spot in the clutch release with the throttle feed. I know practice makes perfect, but I want to know if there are any other tips and/or suggestions.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I took delivery of my M7 2019 Z06/Z07 in July and this is my first manual since driving a work truck in college. Although I don't stall out the car, etc., I do feel as though my 1st gear and 2nd gear shifts could be a lot smoother.

When I originally learned how to drive a manual, I was taught to slowly let out the clutch moving from neutral (stopped) to 1st gear and from 1st gear to 2nd gear so you don't get the abrupt car shake, etc. and then release the clutch faster when shifting into higher gears. However, it seems with the Z06, my neutral to 1st and 1st to 2nd gear shifts still are choppy as most cars don't have this kind of HP/torque. I was also originally taught that you let off the throttle when shifting up into higher gears and then rev the throttle when shifting down but the Rev Match pretty much equals out the downshifts, however I'm wondering what tips CF has for evening out the 1st and 2nd gear shifts.

I'm getting better but it seems as though my left leg still can't capture the sweet spot in the clutch release with the throttle feed. I know practice makes perfect, but I want to know if there are any other tips and/or suggestions.

Most likely you are not doing anything wrong. you just need more seat time to get accustomed to your particular car. I know that switching back and forth between my C6 Z06 and my 1956(with a 4 speed Muncie) takes some driving time to get me accustomed to the differences between the two cars.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-09-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

be faster with the clutch and ease into the throttle.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:43 PM
rrepp
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Shifting

I think shifting a manual trans is one of those thing you just have to keep doing until you get it how you want it. So keep at it and you'll get better.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

The 1-2 shift has a sweet spot in rpm and also gets better as it warms up. It seems shifting at higher rpm is smoother. When it's cold I find that being quick with the shift makes it smoother. It's a great feeling trans, very solid feeling as the next gear starts to pull. Clutch feels strong.
The following users liked this post:
JimNeedsC7 (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The GM M7 with RevMatch is truly the Eighth wonder of the manual shifting World.

I would suggest comparing how the C7 up shifts and down shifts without ever revving the throttle when Rev Match is engaged. However subtle, your C7's M7 RevMatch is doing all the throttle RPM, revving for you.

You can get an idea of how it smooths out the RPM aspects of up/down shifting by cancelling RevMatch, and I'm sure that you will instantly recognize the jerkiness of the drive train when shifting, versus having RevMatch engaged.

*Look into installing a CAGS, 1st to 4th gear eliminator, as well.

I love my C7 M7/RevMatch !!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-09-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I started driving manuals 55 years ago, obviously before throttle by wire cars were driven. When I drove my first manual trans / throttle by wire car, I could tell the difference in how the throttle matched up with the clutch work. Also, the hydraulic clutch actuators in our cars feel differently vs the straight mechanical clutch linkages of yesterday, especially with the factory 'helper' springs that change the linear feel of the clutch. It still seems to me that the older cars with direct mechanical throttle and clutch linkages are more predictable in the shifts .Our cars are throttle by wire, and further have significant ECM input regarding response depending on what mode you're in and numerous other factors. Combine all those factors and it's a different experience altogether - albeit with practice you'll adapt and forget about the issue altogether later. I've also found that shifting 1-2 at a higher rpm helps a lot too.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree the older mechanical clutch linkage gave the driver a better feel for where the sweet spot was in the engagement process. I personally feel my M7 driving smoothness has a direct correlation to my footwear. I drive my best barefooted or with very light weight shoes. Seems bulky footwear gives me ZERO feedback in the clutch engagement process. This was much less of an issue to me in my previous C5 M6.
Old 11-10-2018, 04:16 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubbletop409
I agree the older mechanical clutch linkage gave the driver a better feel for where the sweet spot was in the engagement process. I personally feel my M7 driving smoothness has a direct correlation to my footwear. I drive my best barefooted or with very light weight drive. Seems bulky footwear gives me ZERO feedback in the clutch engagement process. This was much less of an issue to me in my previous C5 M6.
Yes, I always use driving shoes or walking shoes; new dress shoes are dangerous. I once had my foot slip off the clutch petal in my M6 CTS-V and get stuck behind it with slippery dress shoes. Also, Vibram boat shoes can drag in the carpet, making for some rough shifts. Minor problems when you actually drive the car.
emclass (05-29-2019)
Old 11-10-2018, 04:26 PM
oldC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,226 Likes on 734 Posts

Just drive around ur local streets for a couple hours a day for a week. Taught my son that way.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 109 Posts

Im with Bubbletop, only drive a clutch car with bare feet. Wife and son do same. I had to drive Corvette to work last week and it felt really uncomfortable to drive with shoes on.

1-2 shift is clunky when cold at low RPM. Someone here suggested holding the shifter a little left when cold, and it does help.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:40 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I drive with wrestling shoes. Very light and narrow (and cheap). The souls are very light and perfect tackiness.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 11-10-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:55 PM
VistaVette
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The GM M7 with RevMatch is truly the Eighth wonder of the manual shifting World.

I would suggest comparing how the C7 up shifts and down shifts without ever revving the throttle when Rev Match is engaged. However subtle, your C7's M7 RevMatch is doing all the throttle RPM, revving for you.

You can get an idea of how it smooths out the RPM aspects of up/down shifting by cancelling RevMatch, and I'm sure that you will instantly recognize the jerkiness of the drive train when shifting, versus having RevMatch engaged.

*Look into installing a CAGS, 1st to 4th gear eliminator, as well.

I love my C7 M7/RevMatch !!
I agree . When I first got my M7 I wasn't away that rev match help on upshifting as well as down shifting.

OP:. This transmission takes a bit of time to get used to.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:27 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,922 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Take the RPMs up to 2100-2300 will smooth right out.... took me a while to figure this out....
Old 11-11-2018, 07:25 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Haven't driven a C7 manual but with the C6 if I was just puttering around town, I'd shift from 1st to 3rd and skip 2nd. That was always a very smooth shift.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Sorry guys, it's a problem with the throttle mapping. Let me try to clarifiy two things.
The crunchy 1-2 shift when cold is a thing. It's just how the transmission is... Either just slow it down, or shift to 3ed. (in my car it's gone after about 1 mile...)

And by throttle mapping, I mean part throttle/off idle mapping. If you go ahead and graph throttle opening vs pedal opening you see it is not liniar. X movement does not give you X throttle opening. When I fist brought the new car home, I was having a very hard time taking off from a stop along with traffic. I'd darn near stall the car. How much you open the throttle (in the first 10% of movement) did not give you the same opening you expect. It's like there was a delay while it thought about it. Above 1500 rpm it was just like you thought it should be, but that 650-1000 was a guessing game..

Yes, if this is the only manual car you drive you will eventually figure it out. But I've got 2 other manual cars, and two motorcycles, and NONE of them behave like this did...

So I installed a VIttess throttle controler that modifies the stock throttle map signal. Problem mostly solved. The car still does not like to idle away with traffic, but it's way better.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:10 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I learned to drive on a standard back in 1971 and have had a few here and there and never had issues with driving them. All clutches feel a bit different but this C7 is really different and as mentioned I think it's the throttle not the clutch. I find engaging my C7 from a stop at times can be a challenge. I haven't figured it out yet. At times it engages perfect other times I almost stall it. Shifting through the gears is a breeze but like mentioned before the engagement from a stop can be tricky. The really telling part is a good friend of mine who has never owned an automatic drove my C7 and struggled a bit with it. Like me he felt the initial engagement takes some getting used to. No matter what I'm loving this M7 transmission and wouldn't trade it for an A8 no matter what.

Get notified of new replies

To M7 Shifting - How to Smooth Out 1st & 2nd Gear Shifts

Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Its all in the coordination of the clutch and the gas. This is the skill level missing with an auto that I really enjoy.
Mello Yello Maizey (11-14-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Just takes seat time and eventually it becomes second nature.
4thC4at60 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:06 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Just takes seat time and eventually it becomes second nature.
I find driving a standard is like riding a bike it only takes a few minutes before it becomes second nature. What I have experienced with the Vette is different. I find that it's not consistent when engaging from a dead stop. Another thing I noticed is when in sport mode it engages different than touring mode. I do feel there is a disconnect in feel with the electronic throttle where as a mechanical throttle gives better feedback. It's hard to explain but I have gotten used to it and I'm sure I won't even give it a second thought after a few more miles of driving.

Quick Reply: M7 Shifting - How to Smooth Out 1st & 2nd Gear Shifts