Sponsored by:

Dealer ordered wrong tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Dealer ordered wrong tires

So I brought my 2017 GS Z07 to get the MRC update and a set of tires. It still has the originals on it. I purchased the new Michelin AS 3+ and an alignment. Left it there last night. Service rep calls me today around 2 says the work is done but she really wants me to come in and look at the tires because they look really different and I might not like them. I told her I expected the tires to look different because they were the AS not the Sport Cups that came with the car. She says no, they just look really different and I want to make sure you are ok with them because they don't want to move the car in case we need to take the tires off and put different ones on. I said ok I'll be there ASAP.

I get there and they still had it on the rack. As soon as I walked up I could tell something wasn't right. I asked her if she ordered the OEM size tires and she says no that she ordered the AS. I said no, did you order the OEM sizes, and again she says no these are different than OEM. I said I know they are different tread but she was supposed to order OEM sizes. Still, she either didn't understand or was deliberately playing dumb. So I get up close and immediately notice she ordered the wrong tires. She ordered the z51 sizes 245/35/19 and 285/30/20 not the GS size 285/30/19 and 335/25/20. How a service rep at a Chevy dealership didn't realize which tires to order is beyond me. I can't believe they actually got the rear ones on.

I'm honestly just pissed. It was too late to order the right sizes so now I have to wait until tomorrow to order the correct sizes. Then the sales rep leaves me a message saying that we'll talk pricing on the new tires tomorrow. If they expect me to pay more they're out of their mind. In fact, they better try to figure how to make a dissatisfied customer happy. I guess we'll see.

If they don't want to do right by me I'm just going to tell them to put the old ones on and I'll go elsewhere. The best thing that could happen right now is that they already disposed of the other ones so then they're going to be really screwed.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:47 AM
WelderGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts

They'll probably want to charge you for mounting and balancing two sets of tires...even if they put the old ones back on so you can go elsewhere.

Things will probably go better if you change your attitude. Haven't you ever made a mistake?
Old 11-16-2018, 01:06 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
They'll probably want to charge you for mounting and balancing two sets of tires...even if they put the old ones back on so you can go elsewhere.

Things will probably go better if you change your attitude. Haven't you ever made a mistake?
Change my attitude? 😂😂😂😂 Ok, sure, I'm the problem...nah...I think I need to change dealerships not attitude. It's their job to get it right the first time. We're talking about a set of tires for one of their top of the line vehicles, not a set of tires for a 10 speed. That's the whole reason I brought it to a CHEVY dealership, not Pep Boys.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

I suspect it won't hurt to let them know you're annoyed. Maybe they'll offer you some compensation. However, you should expect to pay an additional amount equal to the difference in price between GS and Z51 tires unless you were quoted a specific price for the proper tires. The dealership should eat any costs associated with remounting, balancing, etc.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:17 AM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 109 Posts

I would be livid that they had to handle my fancy rims again to stretch another sets of tires on and off of them. Another chance for damage. I am in the parts/service business and this type of error isnt rare. In the future, I would recommend verifying exactly what they are doing before they start.

Of course they are trying to reduce their loss on the error by calling you in and hoping you would accept them before they touch the ground. For them, plan B is returning or reselling them.You do owe them the difference in the price, but if you tell them how displeased you are (in a cool way) due to inconvenience they might eat it.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Summary: They knew they f'd up and were hoping you'd take the car as-is. And why would you think you need to confirm sizes when the old tires were right there for them to look at? What else should have to confirm, that it's not a Chevy Cruze? Ridiculous.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:37 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Given they screwed up something that simple you might want to confirm they have the proper alignment specs as well.
John Micheal Henry (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Personally, I would not purchase tires from a Chevy dealer, especially if I wanted tires that are different than OEM.
I would have taken my C7 to a tire dealer such as Discount Tire who do tires all day, every day. You can count yourself fortunate if
the dealer did the MRC update correctly since they don't know what size tires go on a particular C7.

Your mistake was assuming that a Chevy dealer was knowledgeable on C7s, which is very often not the case.
I've always believed that in order to sell C7s, GM should require Chevy dealerships to have at least one salesmen and one tech who are fully knowledgeable on the C7, or at least a Corvette general manager
who is fully knowledgeable to direct/help other dealer personnel on C7 matters.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
itaylorm (11-16-2018), JerryU (11-17-2018), Steve_R (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 08:12 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I suspect it won't hurt to let them know you're annoyed. Maybe they'll offer you some compensation. However, you should expect to pay an additional amount equal to the difference in price between GS and Z51 tires unless you were quoted a specific price for the proper tires. The dealership should eat any costs associated with remounting, balancing, etc.
Yes, that's the point. I was quoted a price and pre-paid for the tires.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:40 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones

...Your mistake was assuming that a Chevy dealer was knowledgeable on C7s...

Kevin, buddy (meaning friend), he made no mistake, zero.

For goodness sake, he took his car to a Chevrolet Dealership that sells tires. The dealership is at fault, period... for all the reasons he stated.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:44 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Time to find a shop that is competent. Wish you good luck with that. Ughhhhh.........
Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Given they screwed up something that simple you might want to confirm they have the proper alignment specs as well.
Yes I'm expecting them to redo the alignment.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:49 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Jock,

You already paid for the tires you ordered. They did not put the correct ones on. The end.

The dealership needs to complete the job with the product you paid for. The end.

They removed the original tires, and assuming they have never been off the rims, there should not be any marks on the wheels when they complete the work. If there are any marks from changing the tires, they will be responsible to correct that problem as well.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:52 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Honestly I see his point. He asked for a price for tires for his car, they gave it. Now on the other hand, there are a couple of failures in communication in the situation. 1st was the tech. ANY tech worth being called a tech would have realized that the tires were the wrong size. He should have stopped and gotten the advisor involved at that point. If he didn’t catch it before starting, he sure as heck would/should have when trying to set the beads of the 1st tire. 2nd failure, the advisor was clearly confused about the aire situation based on your statements.

Reasonalbe expectation would be paying the price for the correct tires, rental car for the extra time, and no additional labor. If the dealer wants go beyond that, they would cover the price difference and everyone can move along from the situation. Everyone makes a mistake, sadly they didn’t catch it before mounting, but thankfully they didn’t just try to deliver the car back you with the wrong tires.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:54 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Jock,

You already paid for the tires you ordered. They did not put the correct ones on. The end.

The dealership needs to complete the job with the product you paid for. The end.

They removed the original tires, and assuming they have never been off the rims, there should not be any marks on the wheels when they complete the work. If there are any marks from changing the tires, they will be responsible to correct that problem as well.

This.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:55 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

14 posts in and no one even asks for a pic of the super stretched out tires? I curious what that looks like.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
14 posts in and no one even asks for a pic of the super stretched out tires? I curious what that looks like.
I wish I would have taken a picture. It looked like a tuner car with tires that are clearly too small for the rims.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer ordered wrong tires

Old 11-16-2018, 09:00 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Who was the dealer ?

On a mistake this costly and risky, someone should be losing their job.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

If I owned that dealership, I would obviously get you the right tires and give you a $100 credit for future service work with a profuse apology.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:03 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
I wish I would have taken a picture. It looked like a tuner car with tires that are clearly too small for the rims.
Sorry for making light of your ordeal but that's exactly what I imagine it to look like. Would have been hilarious to see it on a widebody Vette. Good luck with that. I've had bad luck with a national tire shop absolutely destroying two of my wheels when mounting a tire. Cracked the lip all the way around. I believe I posted some pics on this forum before so I feel your pain.

Quick Reply: Dealer ordered wrong tires