Sponsored by:

My little, 1st time Vette owner, thread about nothing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:59 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gnarley Z51
It's funny to me that more people don't take their seating position seriously! Ergonomically speaking most people drive in terrible seating positions and many manufacturers don't allow proper steering column angles when you're seated comfortably. Proper seating positions are crucial to comfort to reduce driver fatigue and the C7 has done really well in this area IMHO. I tell everyone there's a lot of research in seating like a race driver or a fighter pilot so you can stay alert and in reasonable comfort for long durations.

Congrats on your purchase!
My best friend use to mock me all the time. He would say "blah blah blah, ergonomics blah blah blah. Guess who I sound like...". lol
The following users liked this post:
Gnarley Z51 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 02:59 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats. Looks like your well on your way to creating the look you want for this fine Sports Car!
The following users liked this post:
Yourconfused (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Daylight pic and my car looks pink. lol

Got the Mamo TB last night and installed it, which took a grueling 5 minutes in the dark. I don't have a very good butt dyno so I have no idea if it really did anything for the power but I will have about 80 minutes to find out in 4 hours if it did anything for drivability. I tend to think most people would feel a difference even when given a placebo, but the ledge removed should net a benefit at higher flow rates.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharp car! I hope you can feel the difference. I recall reading something to the effect that to really feel the difference you need to bost HP or TQ by about 25%. In the end what really matters is you're havin fun
Old 12-04-2018, 02:15 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Sharp car! I hope you can feel the difference. I recall reading something to the effect that to really feel the difference you need to bost HP or TQ by about 25%. In the end what really matters is you're havin fun
I know I can feel the diference in the weight of wheels, but regarding how much power it takes to tell a difference i have no idea. The car sure is fun to drive though and the MPSS are no match for the power output. I need to go look at the date code on those things. They measured 8/32" when I got the car, which is new tread debth, but they aren't terrible sticky and lose traction below 60ish when punched in sport.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

So I took a corner at 39mph tonight, ambient temp in the mid 50s, that I know I have taken at 60 in my legacy, which slid but stayed in my lane even though the legacy has zero nannies to help me out, and the vette slid and then the nannies kicked in to keep me going strait. I am not impressed at all. I had driven for over an hour and the tires psi were 31 on all 4 and the temp monitor was reading warm. Either these MPSS suck *** compared to the Firestone indy tires, 225/40r18 on the legacy, or they are not good tires for some other reason. My Lego has coils, strut bars, sway bars, end links, bushings and stickers, so it does handle well and those stickers, jk-no stickers, must make it perform better than a stock C7. 225's are kinda skinny tires! I am kinda disappointed. Once the road straitened I gave it some juice and the car side stepped and TC kicked in again, going around 45 mph. Are the 285's really that inadequate for this car? Again they were newish tires with full tread depth about 6 weeks ago and I have mostly been running in eco with a few sport mode, non tire shredding outings. I am not sure what to think now. I wanted to have more power, as the legacy had around 375hp, but if I can't put it to the ground then there is no point. I have been itching for LT headers and about decided to get an A&A supercharger, but it looks like that would be wasted money at this point.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 PM
Gnarley Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm still learning mine and the factory tires were summer RF's. At 50 degrees how long had you been driving before this event? Me thinks #1 it's too cold for the tires to get any kind of hookup, I think the MPSS cold weather performance is fairly well discussed and documented. While you're driving on the cold side it seems for the MPSS's I'd expect that kind of result. I think others can chime in as to what would be a better tire to run in those temperatures. I just put a set of AS 3+'s on my front with a custom alignment and figured I'd run off the rears and replace them before Summer and then will have a matching set of AS 3+'s.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

I'm still learning mine and the factory tires were summer RF's. At 50 degrees how long had you been driving before this event? Me thinks #1 it's too cold for the tires to get any kind of hookup, I think the MPSS cold weather performance is fairly well discussed and documented. While you're driving on the cold side it seems for the MPSS's I'd expect that kind of result. I think others can chime in as to what would be a better tire to run in those temperatures. I just put a set of AS 3+'s on my front with a custom alignment and figured I'd run off the rears and replace them before Summer and then will have a matching set of AS 3+'s.
Drive time was over an hour. I have driven only summer tires for the last decade so the 40° warning has never been a real issue with other brands so maybe these Michelins are just hyper liberal.

I finally looked at the date code and the tires are old as ****. 16/14. Now I am curious about their tread as they appeared and measured new when I bought the car 6 weeks ago. The car had 8K miles on it when I got it, so there should have been some wear on the tires...

Running the rears off sounds like you are going to have a blast! I wonder if you will notice having mismatch tires on the car though?

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Couple questions:

1: I have a micro sd to usb dongle that plays MP3s when plugged into the USB slot in the center console, but isn't recognised when plugged into the slot behind the dash screen and it won't play anything when the SD card is inserted into the card reader slot in the center console. Is this normal?

2: I turned on my phones hotspot, which works for using my laptop to connect to the internet, but I couldn't figure out how to get the car to connect to the hotspot. Is there a trick to this or id the cars only option to connect to the Onstar wifi subscription? I was trying to get it to use Pandora as my 14 doesn't have the capability to ust android auto unless I replace a bunch of stuff.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-16-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Also: Is there a difference in seat bottoms on the C7's? Mine feel narrow, like the side bolsters are intrusive to my thighs, and when I sat in a friends 18 GS I instantly noticed a difference. The bottom of the seat cushion felt the same but the side bolsters just seemed half an inch wider. Even a rather small (petite? lol) guy at work commented on the seats being narrow so i know it isn't me. lol

Last edited by Yourconfused; 12-16-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:04 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

I bought a BMW catch can, modified it to have 2 coalescing stages which go down to the actual can collection portion and machined a bracket from aluminum, connected it with constant pressure clamps via Parker pushlock plus hose, sealed with aircraft glue heatshrink, forget the brand, and covered the hoses with similar extra thick black Salipt heat shrink rated at 257°F to keep it factory looking. I installed a very high quality dry break quick disconnect, SMC, in the bottom of the can which allows for the quick and clean drip free draining of the can via the fitting on the bottom of the can and a hose cut to length that hangs 2" below the under tray for easy draining when doing an oil change or other service. Plug in the connector and it drains, 1 finger to press up on the collar and it pops off eith the force of the internal springs and you are done. No mess and no tools required. I used SS hardware for attachment of the can to bracket and bracket to drivers head, for now, and I still need to go over some of the exposed and un used holes with black paint to help hide the install and make it disappear into the engine bay so it looks stock. Overall I am pleased with it, but will be adding some stainless media to the can in the near future.

Pics are of my messing with it and the final ones show the amount of crap collected, which smelled very strongly of gasoline, after just 214 miles of commuting with 3 short runs at WOT from 60 to 120. Looks to me like it is doing its job a bit better than expected.

Overall investment: $24.33

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

http://ph.parker.com/us/15551/en/pus...rpose-hose-801

https://www.smcpneumatics.com/KKA4S-02M-1.html
Old 01-04-2019, 02:09 AM
Yourconfused
Racer

Installed pics and the just over 200 mile collection of garbage.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Amazon Amazon

I used this vent phone mount on the cig port and it has been working well under normal driving but has let loose of the phone when it was in the case, as the case impedes the magnets ability to hold the thin ferrite plate, included with the vent mount, due to the material thickness, but works well for me almost all of the time. For $12 shipped it is a good deal for me.

Last edited by Yourconfused; 02-24-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:16 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

You have way more ailments than I do. If you're that comfortable with your C7 then it might be worth it to me!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 PM
Yourconfused
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette_Pilot
You have way more ailments than I do. If you're that comfortable with your C7 then it might be worth it to me!!!
I'm getting 2 epidurals this week to help with the 6 damn herniated discs but the fit if a car became much more important than anything else once my commute went from 25 minutes to over 2 hours a day. If i didn't keep blowing subaru transmissions I would still be driving one of them instead of going back to stock with it. If the Legacy GT had more lumbar support I would say it is almost perfect for me. Honda is going to get detailed and go up for sale in a week. I just sold a stock today that made enough in the last 4 months, even with the **** that happened to the market in october, that I can pay the Fit off and have money left over! Would have been awesome if I invested enough it that one stock to have payed the vette off, but I am new to the market and didn't want to take that kind of risk so I am spread out over 2 dozen stocks. If a corolla fit me well I would have bought it actually. lol I am gald I went car shopping with a couple of young girls and sat in a C7, otherwise AI wouldn't have known how nice of a cockpit they have compared to the C6Z and the CTS-V I had been looking at. Want to buy a 2015 Honda Fit? lol

Quick Reply: My little, 1st time Vette owner, thread about nothing