Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:42 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

I've bent 5 wheels and cracked one so we are on the same page. The wheels are simply junk and I received a similar response from the GM Executive Office. In my email to Mary, I did my best to not give them the easy out by identifying all the potential answers they may have (Bad roads, talk to DOT, rims are tested and fine by engineers, etc). I explained I have other cars with similar fitment that do not have this issue. In the end, they referred me to the "Ask Tadge" section of the forum where he "addressed" the issue. No help, no care, etc. Maybe I could have gotten much more aggravated over the phone but I don't like giving people an excuse to end the conversation.

I give you credit for staying as calm as you have through this and you have a right to be excited. My best advise is to get the new, forged wheels and enjoy the car. I think you will drive yourself crazy pursuing this unless you try to actually have fun with it. I know that sounds crazy but I had to do that when I attempted to lemon my Charger Hellcat. Dodge wouldn't address the issues and it got nasty. When I knew I was getting out of my Hellcat and into the Vette, I stopped caring and knew I just needed to move on for my own mental health. When the lemon case continued, the outcome really didn't matter much because I was already in my new car. I know that isn't your situation but I think you catch the drift of things. Once you have new, stronger wheels, the issue with the old ones will fade a bit. We are spending lots of money on these toys and in the end, it will influence your decision on the next purchase. I have big interest in a C8 but my issues with the wheels on my Z has me wanting to wait to see if they will look to address this in the future....among all the other things that can come with a new design.

Good luck with everything.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:11 PM
CW4L
Supporting Vendor

Received 730 Likes on 596 Posts

Sorry Jen! And thanks for giving us the opportunity to put some new Forgeline Forged Wheels on your Grand Sport made right here in the good ole USA! We hope the new wheels allows you to enjoy these incredible autos a little more instead of dealing with all you did.

Thanks again

Jen will be rolling with
Forgeline VX1
Tinted Brushed Clear
19x10
20x12

Look forward to pics!!!

#1 Forged Wheel Master Distributor for Corvettes Worldwide since 2010
Call/Text 440-915-6166

Forgeline*Anrky*HRE*PUR*Brixton*Vorstein er*Akra*Brembo*IPE and Many More....

REVIEWS: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...r-reviews.html

EMAIL: sales@cw4L.com
PHONE 440-915-6166 CALL OR TEXT ANYTIME!!!

Follow us on Instagram @custom_wheels_for_less

Last edited by CW4L; 11-29-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:18 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by kennyjames21

I love my corvette and I've been a lifelong GM fan, but if I have any issues I'm bailing.
If I consume more than a few wheels I may do so as well.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:30 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

This is why I haven’t posted about my unfortunate bad luck. We have always been a GM family. We’ve owned 10...and 4 were corvettes. My parents were GM consumers owning probably 12 in their lifetime. I love my car, and please don’t let my story change you.

Hopefully I’ll get my new rims soon and will back on the road rolling and enjoying it.
OH Gosh... Nothing against Chevy or GM in the slightest. We aren't really brand loyal to anything, but we've probably had more GM's than anything. We've got an old '94 Chev 2500 that's been an awesome for us. But, sometimes, for whatver reason, there's just problems with specific vehicles.

We've been so lucky (or maybe it's because we trade vehicles in every couple years) that we really haven't had to deal with a vehicle in the shop a lot. Right now we're sporting all 3 American brands in our garage . So far, so good!

If you end up with aftermarket rims, you gotta post pics! As I've mentioned before, I'm secretly hoping mine bend or crack so I have an excuse to spend the money on aftermarket
Old 11-29-2018, 04:52 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by CW4L
Sorry Jen! And thanks for giving us the opportunity to put some new Forgeline Forged Wheels on your Grand Sport made right here in the good ole USA! We hope the new wheels allows you to enjoy these incredible autos a little more instead of dealing with all you did.

Thanks again

Jen will be rolling with
Forgeline VX1
Tinted Brushed Clear
19x10
20x12

Look forward to pics!!!
Great choice Jen!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:55 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I guess if you don't track your car and only plan on driving it on public roads a GS is not a good choice. You just don't hear these issues with the base Stingray.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:19 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
I guess if you don't track your car and only plan on driving it on public roads a GS is not a good choice. You just don't hear these issues with the base Stingray.
It's a Z06/GS issue. Different wheel design but same crappy construction. The base stingray wheels/tires are narrower so you're correct, its less of an issue.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:09 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by CW4L

Thanks again

Jen will be rolling with
Forgeline VX1
Tinted Brushed Clear
19x10
20x12

Look forward to pics!!!
Thank you so much for making this decision so much easier.
I was not prepared to even think about having to buy rims when you and I were messaging a few weeks back. I think at that point my car wasn’t even 6 weeks old.
Lol you called it that I’d keep having bent rims and thats what happened. Like seriously I’m buying me a dash cam to prove I don’t hit potholes or ride curbs...I’m like the most cautious driver and I surely don’t do what this car is built for. You lucky ones out there with perfectly straight rim better start praying to the rim God that they stay that way.
The following users liked this post:
CW4L (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Jen, all I can is damn...you have been through a lot with your Vetts! Admire your positive attitude, spunk and spirit in dealing with all of this crap.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:22 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

What is the going rate for tire and wheel insurance? I just bought a 2019 GS with premium wheels.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:35 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by jenfioreally

You are so right! Severable is absolutely the best way to look at it. I have been hesitant about even posting because I’m tired of it all. I’m just in hopes us that have the problems can rally together and get GM to listen.

I can understand your hesitancy. But after reading your post, I really can empathize with you. There are some who complain unreasonably, and you're not one of them. Of that I am certain.

I wish you luck and the idea of separating the issue of wheels from the ownership, while expensive, is a good idea. If you can afford it. Some can, many can not. That's one of those things a-week-ago-today was all about.

Good luck with the car, for sure!
Old 12-01-2018, 03:51 AM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
What is the going rate for tire and wheel insurance? I just bought a 2019 GS with premium wheels.
I’m gonna message you the info tomorrow...well later today since it’s 3am.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:06 AM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

I am turning in my lease very shortly on a 16 Stingray which has been fantastic and I am going to lease the exact same car only a 2019 but I may lease a GS instead. The roads out here in AZ are very nice with no pot holes. Are the people with bent rims in states like NJ or NY that have crap roads? Not saying that is the problem...its obviously the defective wheels but are people bending wheels in AZ? Also is it more rear or front rims?
Old 12-01-2018, 02:38 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 455 Likes on 342 Posts

All of this is why I will buy wheels from Kieth -DOC-Z [forum vendor] that stands behind his wheels MORE than GM!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Mobil 1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 131 Posts

I would like to know as well.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:45 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mobil 1
I am turning in my lease very shortly on a 16 Stingray which has been fantastic and I am going to lease the exact same car only a 2019 but I may lease a GS instead. The roads out here in AZ are very nice with no pot holes. Are the people with bent rims in states like NJ or NY that have crap roads? Not saying that is the problem...its obviously the defective wheels but are people bending wheels in AZ? Also is it more rear or front rims?
Every single one front and back bent on mine.
I am in Ms. and our roads have buckling spots from the heat and apparently that’s what bent them....Because that’s the ONLY thing I’ve run over that could have caused it.
No damage to tires or knocked out of align. 🤷🏼*♀️ All I know is I want that crap off my car.
Mobil 1 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
Mine was through GM resolution so I’m not exactly sure.
I believe the underwriter is AMT and I’ll ask tomorrow if it can be purchased after the intial purchase of the car.
I’m dealing with them tomorrow on my claim so I’ll let you know how it goes and how the dealership handles it.

Last edited by jenfioreally; 12-02-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Mobil 1 (12-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague

Old 12-03-2018, 04:39 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC7VETTE
My 16 z51 has the chrome wheels and the chrome is flaking off the wheels. Unfortunately the original owner had them swapped from black when new so can’t warranty them
Old 03-15-2019, 04:04 PM
sadgsowner
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please everyone, even if you have already replaced or repaired your wheels, report this issue to the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov.)

Many of us are just learning about this problem and are getting the same treatment from GM. The only chance that they might do something before someone gets hurt is if people keep reporting this problem.
GeoGS (03-15-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 03:38 PM
ALEXAMES
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 41 Posts

My 2014 3LT,Z51 M7 had the infotainment screen replaced at 40k. According to the original owner before me, that is the only problem the car has had. I'm now at 61k daily driven and no problems yet. I think mine is a good one. Knock on wood!

Quick Reply: A lemon and now the bent/cracked rim plague