Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily drive the Vette or get a 2nd car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 PM
DavePowell
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

My C7 is my daily driver, as were my earlier cars (C4, C5, C6). I have the all-season tires and never change them. I have brought ten-foot pieces of gutter home, and some 8' 2x4s another time, and a couple of 10' 1x6s once. The last thing was three five gallon buckets of driveway sealer.

It's just a car after all, and I enjoy driving it every day.

My other car is a '67 vert. When I bought a 40 gallon water heater (warm weather) I brought it home in the passenger seat.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:45 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

I' d get a 2nd car !!! Mine is a numbers matching 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo SS 454 !!! Ye ha Premium gas in Kansas is $ 2.59 Tier 1 a gallon !!! Wayne
Old 12-05-2018, 02:06 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I will help you out, without spending a lot of time the below C7 impracticabilities come to mind.
  • Only 2 seats which will immediately disqualify many buyers.
  • Approximately 500HP sportscar that can be very dangerous in the wrong hands (someone who has never driven such a car). My wife had never driven such a car, yet she has had zero issues
  • Extremely low to the ground to an extent you always have to be mindful of where and how you are driving it. Really only have to pay attention when pulling in and out of parking lots and drive ways, not bad really
  • Equipped with wheels that frequently bend/crack if when hitting potholes/speed bumps etc. Again, have to be very mindful of where and how you are driving it. I would think this would be very stressful driving on a daily basics. GS yes, Stingray no
  • Equipped with tires that are only recommended to run in summer, thus have to purchase and change out tires to drive in winter. Agree
  • Inconvenient in not able to carry large objects which can be a real PITA for running errands to home depot/nursery etc. True
  • Inconvenient in regard to space, having to make multiple trips to the grocery store as opposed to once every couple weeks. No problem getting two weeks of groceries in the car
  • Not being able to take on vacations if you have a family. We use ours to go on vacation, kids are grown.
  • One has to practically be a contortionist to enter and exit the car without damaging sillplates, seat bolsters, door panels over time.
  • High insurance and general operating cost, especially if driving daily and putting many miles on your C7. Insurance is reasonable if you ask me, less than a Camaro, about the same as my 4x4 truck
All in All, I think only owning a C7 would be very stressful, as opposed to driving a vehicle that's more practical. I prefer to drive mine to relive stress, not to create it.

By the way, (only fair, since you asked me) are you real FAT?
Me, I see no issue with one as a daily driver. I daily drove C3's while raising three kids. Talk about a pain. This C7 is way more practical, better mpg, better ride, easier to load and unload, can carry way more stuff. Easier to get in and out of.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Me, I see no issue with one as a daily driver. I daily drove C3's while raising three kids. Talk about a pain. This C7 is way more practical, better mpg, better ride, easier to load and unload, can carry way more stuff. Easier to get in and out of.
Do you always DD, on ice and snow? I doubt it. Do you always drive and leave your C7 at the airport or facility in Chattanooga for wherever, while you're offshore for several weeks? Unless it's a secure carport facility, I doubt it. "2 weeks groceries?" I doubt it. Point being, many don't really DD, their C7 everywhere, ALL the time. Not when you have an SUV, as you do.

I rarely drive my C7 to the bowery part of town for appointments when I know the car will be wide open to the street thugs that roam the streets while I'm working with clients. There's no way the car's going to be driven when leaving home when there's ice and snow. That's when I drive one of my other two vehicles. Airport, unsecured long term parking? No way.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 12-05-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:47 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Do you always DD, on ice and snow? I doubt it. Do you always drive and leave your C7 at the airport or facility in Chattanooga for wherever, while you're offshore for several weeks? Unless it's a secure carport facility, I doubt it. "2 weeks groceries?" I doubt it. Point being, many don't really DD, their C7 everywhere, ALL the time. Not when you have an SUV, as you do.

I rarely drive my C7 to the bowery part of town for appointments when I know the car will be wide open to the street thugs that roam the streets while I'm working with clients. There's no way the car's going to be driven when leaving home when there's ice and snow. That's when I drive one of my other two vehicles. Airport, unsecured long term parking? No way.

My C6
Snow less than 4" check
Ice check
Two weeks groceries check
Airport parking check

I have done all of those.
The following users liked this post:
Woodson (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The beating you'll suffer after your high mileage deduction on sale day € high cost of fuel would pay for a decent DD, then some.

.Which is one reason many of us choose to preserve our C7's trade-in values.

​​​​​​​.
The only beating I'll be taking is when I'm driving something other than my Corvette. I'm going to drive it into the ground and then pony up for a new one and do the same thing over again. But....let me restate that. I'll more than likely be buying a Z06 this coming year, and I could not care less what the current one is worth. I bought it to drive it and I have done a pretty good job of that over the 3 years of ownership I have had it. 84,000 miles and counting.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Dave80C3 (12-06-2018), Woodson (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:05 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Believe what you want. I did daily drive a 1980 C3 for three years. I had three daughters at the time. The C7 is a much better car for daily driving. I do not leave any car/truck or SUV at the air port. I do my grocery shopping in the Grand sport, and before that I did it in the 14 Stingray Z51. Yes, for two weeks worth of food, and every other time, I get a 50 pound bag of dog food also. Fits just fine in the coupe, with room to spare.

Correct, the 2 times a year their might be snow on the road, I would not drive the Grand Sport. Then again, the 3 miles up the mountainous curvey road I live on, with snow, you will not make it to the main road with out 4 wheel drive. Glad we get snow once or twice for a day or two. Heck, I have seen many 4x4 is the ditch on my road.

I also do not go to parts of town, where I would not park my car, no matter what I am driving. If its not safe enough for my car, its not safe enough for me or my wife.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:15 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I do not take mine to work if there is snow or ice on the road, I have a 4x4 truck for those days... But I will drive it for the following: 2 week grocery, airport, lowes, home depot, atwoods, unless I have over 200 pounds of whatever or it is just too big to fit in the back, then that is truck territory...

I do see where you are going with this, if I "ONLY" had 1 car there would be no way I would own a C7 but I have always had 2 vehicles and now I have 3...
Old 12-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
My C6
Snow less than 4" check
Ice check
Two weeks groceries check
Airport parking check

I have done all of those.
If it's it's your only car, do you have a choice? Check
Old 12-06-2018, 12:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
I do not take mine to work if there is snow or ice on the road, I have a 4x4 truck for those days... But I will drive it for the following: 2 week grocery, airport, lowes, home depot, atwoods, unless I have over 200 pounds of whatever or it is just too big to fit in the back, then that is truck territory...

I do see where you are going with this, if I "ONLY" had 1 car there would be no way I would own a C7 but I have always had 2 vehicles and now I have 3...
Exactly. No one here actually daily drives their C7. I drive mine to ALL the above too. But I'm not going to claim as some do that they always DD theirs - when they don't. Cramming 2 weeks worth of groceries in a C7? I go more often than that.

.I've got 3 vehicles as well. All of em have a purpose.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I work at home and everywhere I "need" to drive to is within 3-10 miles from home.
Bought a new 2009 C6 in 2009 and put 25,000 miles on it before trading it in for a C7 in October 2015.
During that time I only put 4,500 miles on the SUV.
Since October 2015 I've put 18,000 miles on the C7 and only 2,600 miles on the SUV.
I use the Vette for errands and shopping if we'll be out driving around for the day after that.
But not if if it's only for a short 3-10 mile drive and back home again, that's what the SUV is for.
Drive 'em or don't drive 'em, to each their own
Old 12-09-2018, 02:28 AM
1776DAVE
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
I daily drive my corvette and have done so fir over a decade. We have snow soi put snow tires on. The car still looks mint. I cant imagine why you wouldnt drive it every day.

these cars are built by gm to be daily drivers.

having another car adds insurance and repaors.

you drive 100 miles a week to get back amd forth to work...

what is that 5200 miles a year? And you think you need a second vehicle?

we get around 100 inches of snow a year...i think i stay home 3 days a year because of weather tops.

im in the NY metro area. I drive my car into manhattan and anywhere else i need to go. I get tons of compliments on my corvette as people still think its a brand new corvette.

wake up...your dreaming you think you need another car.

btw beaters are a pain in the butt when they break and they usually do...thats why someone is selling them. Add in the registration, the insurance and repairs and it doesnt pay.just drive your corvette ..

if you really must get a second car then lease one. Www.legendleasing.com lease a car for under 200 a month. This way at least you wont have repair nonsense.

you cam pick up a swap a lease short term lease to get this idea out of your system.

i wouldnt bother though...just daily your corvette

dont love your car so much you dont use it as a car...

thats what they are built for.

i agree drive it like you might mot get to drive it again! I put AS mich RFs so i could drive in damm Cold weather ! Because you never know when you might be unable to frive.
i have a 2016 with 34000 smiles on it tt all but 4 i or wife put pn it!

Quick Reply: Daily drive the Vette or get a 2nd car?