C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just wrapped my roof rails

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:10 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
I agree with a body-colored roof like the white example. BUT...

That yellow one, with the black/transparent center AND the targa halo painted black, looks pretty good to me.

Also, on that one I am not seeing the width/fitment problem at the top that $$$frumnuttin' talks about. What am I missing?

I am most likely getting a C7 with an acrylic top in the next month or so, and unfortunately I find the look a bit wierd with with the C7's fastback styling (vs. the C6's targa hoop...)
You need to get close to the car and you will notice the roof panel painted width is not the same as the A pillar where they meet...there is a jog that looks incorrect unless the pillar is black, thus you won't notice it.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

^^^^

Very close, I guess. I blew that yellow one up big, and a CRM one in another post, and saw nothing enough to bother me. And I’m pretty ****. Which is why I don’t particularly like the painted rails with the unpainted A-pillar. Looks unfinished somehow.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:53 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,319 Likes on 992 Posts

Colored A pillars is HORRIFIC looking because of the fact they are chunky at the bottom. There is a reason GM design left them black....to not be seen and make the windscreen and glass "wraparound"...like see below

Old 01-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^^^^^^^
You are correct about the chunkiness, but the alternative, IMO, is worse with the acrylic top. The side rails stopping at the B-pillar with the acrylic top look terribly unfinished to me. And I have mixed feelings about the rail "spear" look. I agree that I would never paint the A-pillars on a C7 with a body-colored top.

And, seriously, don't you think you could have picked better looking examples to support your point? They may be the two ugliest cars I've seen today!

At least I can point out what I wish GM had done with these examples which I hope you would concede are attractive cars (particularly the Jag which is close to DSOM, a color I am REALLY looking at hard):

By simply blacking out the bottom of the A-pillars, the smooth and continuous look the stylists got looks so much better to me with the black/smoked top then what the Vette stylists did.

If I go this route on my C7, I will ask the painter to first try masking the bottom of the A-pillar to get this effect. I know there is a groove in the A-pillar that might not look too good, but I think worth a shot.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-25-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:28 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

since you're using vinyl wrap, why not try applying a "skinny" A-pillar like the below modification (on the yellow vette)
using knifeless tape for a clean cut ..
If you don't like it just pull it off, that's what's nice about vinyl.
Did my roof "stinger" extension strip and headlights on my car with vinyl and am really pleased with the outcome and cost. (bottom)

Last edited by agapsdiver; 01-25-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The yellow one would be the look I'd try going for, but I'm not going to buy black or yellow, so, unless I get white (maybe silver) I doubt I could find vinyl to match. Probably paint, then, for me.

Quick Reply: Just wrapped my roof rails