C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:00 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Unrealistic Expectations

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
I believe that Bent or Cracked Wheels are both an Engineering Defect and Safety Issue.

GM has not acknowledged that there is a problem and denies warranty repair coverage leaving owners many times to have to cover the cost of repairs or purchase new wheels themselves.

Wheels may cost thousands of dollars to and numerous owners have already had to purchase multiple wheels for their new or near new vehicles that should have been covered by GM's warranty.

GM is blaming Corvette owners.

If you have had an issue with a Bent or Cracked OEM Wheel on your Grand Sport or Z06, you can file a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Your complaint will be added to a public NHTSA database after personal identifying information is removed.

If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.

Please consider filing your complaint. Not only will it benefit you but will benefit other Corvette owners and could potentially save someone from having a serious accident.

The process is simple and will not take much of your time.

Here is how you can as proceed.
  1. Access the NHTSA site thru: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/
  2. Click on the red START THE FORM button.
  3. In the first box type in your VIN.
  4. In the second box enter your vehicle make, model, and model year separated by spaces (e.g., make model year)“Chevrolet Corvette 20XX” (separated by spaces, replace XX with the 2 digits of your model year).
  5. Click on the NEXT Button.
  6. Click on the Wheels Box.
  7. In the third box down, type in your specific issue with your wheels.
  8. You can also upload any pictures that you have to show the problem.
  9. Type in the date of occurrence.
  10. Click on the Next button, and then the Next button again.
  11. You will then be asked for contact information and your email address. (all this personal information will be protected)
  12. Press verify your entries and submit to NHTSA.

Your complaint is now registered with the NHTSA.

If you would like to view other similar bent/cracked wheel NHTSA complaints that have been filed, follow these instructions:(your inputs shown in Red)

1) Access the NHTSA search website:https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues?prodType=E

2) Click and Highlight the “Keywords (Complaints Only)" box.

3) In the "Select Type:" Box Click on the "Vehicles" button.

4) Type in data entry field type in the words “wheel, crack, bent”. (making sure you include the commas)

5) In the "Narrative contains:" field, click on the "Any Keyword" button

In the Optional: Section
In "Model Year range"

6) Click drop down arrow and select: Start: 2014

7) Click drop down arrow and select: End: 2019

8) Click drop down arrow and select: Make: Chevrolet

9) Click drop down arrow and select: Model: Corvette

10) Click the "GO" button.

You will then see the narratives other Corvette owners have posted, 5 at a time.Personal information is not listed.

Currently there are 25 Complaints as of the date of this link.

Would appreciate anyone who has had a cracked or bent wheel on their Corvette, please file a formal complaint to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Instruction are listed at top of this document.
OP: I frankly feel that you and some others have unrealistic expectations for a sports car designed for this level of performance. I personally do not want a sports car with an SUV/ 4-wheel drive suspension, including the wheels. For performance enjoyment, I want low rolling mass (light wheels), along with a host of other features not found on vehicles designed for pot holes & 4-wheeling off-road use. These C7's require a certain level of care when driving them, especially if being used on inhospitable road surfaces. If one wants a vehicle that will take pot holes and the like as a family sedan or SUV will, perhaps a high-performance sportscar is not the right vehicle for such a driver, or that driver's road environment. I fear that all this mongering to run to the NHTSA will accomplish nothing but ruining it for the rest of us who want a true performance sports car. One should research a vehicle before buying it, and then not buy it if it doesn't satisfy one's road-abuse requirements. Stop running to the Feds, and let the marketplace decide what the Corvettes performance and road parameters should be. My 2 cents.

Last edited by blkvet6; 12-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by blkvet6:
I Fly Low (07-17-2019), Steve_R (12-21-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The last I would want is a cracked wheel coming apart when driving on the highway at 75mph. There is a problem with GS & ZO6 wheels cracking and GM knows it. I don't like government interference but if that's what it takes for GM to fix the problem I say file a complaint.
The following 6 users liked this post by Corvette ED:
bjones7131 (12-22-2018), Jim Barker (12-28-2018), Rebel Yell (12-21-2018), rogergcam (12-25-2018), trumanjd1 (06-06-2019), Virtual Geezer (12-26-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:42 PM
50th year
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by blkvet6
OP: I frankly feel that you and some others have unrealistic expectations for a sports car designed for this level of performance. I personally do not want a sports car with an SUV/ 4-wheel drive suspension, including the wheels. For performance enjoyment, I want low rolling mass (light wheels), along with a host of other features not found on vehicles designed for pot holes & 4-wheeling off-road use. These C7's require a certain level of care when driving them, especially if being used on inhospitable road surfaces. If one wants a vehicle that will take pot holes and the like as a family sedan or SUV will, perhaps a high-performance sportscar is not the right vehicle for such a driver, or that driver's road environment. I fear that all this mongering to run to the NHTSA will accomplish nothing but ruining it for the rest of us who want a true performance sports car. One should research a vehicle before buying it, and then not buy it if it doesn't satisfy one's road-abuse requirements. Stop running to the Feds, and let the marketplace decide what the Corvettes performance and road parameters should be. My 2 cents.
You should be able to drive the interstate system without worry of bent wheels. No one is talking off road.
The following 8 users liked this post by 50th year:
bjones7131 (12-22-2018), Cork76063 (12-28-2018), GOLD72 (01-07-2019), Rebel Yell (12-21-2018), rogergcam (12-25-2018), timmyZ06 (12-22-2018), vetten76 (12-28-2018), Virtual Geezer (12-26-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2018, 08:43 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I could not disagree more with your post. The issue with cracking and bending of wheels on a production automobile is a legitimate public safety concern. This issue is well within the charter of the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration's purview. Additionally, Corvette owners have a reasonable expectation that when they spend 70+ thousand dollars for a vehicle that they can have a better expectation then 20% chance they will have to spend an additional 3-4 thousand dollars for a new set of wheels due to manufacturing flaws of the OEM wheels. I agree with you the marketplace should have a role to play. If you and other owners wish to race the vehicle on a track then the market should be there to cater to this segment of Corvette owners to purchase high performance, low-mass track wheels on the secondary market. I see this wheel issue similar to the safety issue of the worldwide Takata airbag problem. How would you like to purchase an automobile knowing that you had a 20% chance of the airbag exploding expectedly without notice? As you may be aware, Takata airbags are being replaced worldwide because of this serious safety issue and some people have even lost their lives because of it.
The following 8 users liked this post by MMD:
bjones7131 (12-22-2018), c6tech (12-21-2018), Cork76063 (12-28-2018), Ed Ramberger (07-14-2019), ferravette (07-01-2019), fnbrowning (12-24-2018), GOLD72 (01-07-2019), S.FLA..Z06 (12-22-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2018, 09:07 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Let's see where this goes to help owners
Yes, will be interesting to see what becomes of this, however I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the government to step in against GM.

It would also be interesting to see some testing to determine exactly what these wheels will and will not hold up against.
That should be easy enough to do.

I don't believe I recall anyone here ever reporting they bent or cracked a wheel during track use?

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 12-20-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:17 AM
mracer14
Drifting

Received 249 Likes on 104 Posts

Totally agree. Hitting a pothole on the interstate will damage any wheel on any vehicle.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:36 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mracer14
Totally agree. Hitting a pothole on the interstate will damage any wheel on any vehicle.
Here, read the story of forum member Jenfioreally. Her story is not that uncommon from other members on this forum in regards to their C7 wheel issues. Many of these owners are not driving over pot holes on Interstates. Read her story, you might just change your opinion about the wheel issue many are having.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-plague-2.html
Old 12-21-2018, 08:43 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,113 Likes on 753 Posts

OP you might want to also post this info in the C-7 Forum Z06 Discussion group section.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 AM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,125 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
exploding expectedly without notice?
How's that?

Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I second the opinion that don't hold your breath for the feds to intervene here...What about the C6 Corvette fuel tanks leaking gasoline which is more of a safety hazard than a bent wheel. The feds have known about this issue for years and crickets so far
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (01-01-2019)
Old 12-21-2018, 09:52 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Blue-C7 of Jax
OP you might want to also post this info in the C-7 Forum Z06 Discussion group section.
OP indicated administrators did not want to have double posting any they recommended posting this thread only in C7 General.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CP
How's that?
typo, should be "unexpectedly"
Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mracer14
If that's true then there are ten's of thousands of bent rims from the pot hole I hit crossing the bridge into Memphis. I think not.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:52 AM
50th year
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 50th year
If that's true then there are ten's of thousands of bent rims from the pot hole I hit crossing the bridge into Memphis. I think not.
Also wanted to add I have driven cars for over 50 years and have hit hundreds of pot holes and never had a bent rim before.
bjones7131 (12-22-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 12:48 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 125 Posts

This is a SERIOUS problem and will not be resolved until death occurs. I love his car but I can not help thinking about the wheel issue. GM please get your act together and resolve this before someone gets hurt.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:19 PM
Heavy Vetting
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do not recall reading of complaints of aftermarket forged wheels for these cars failing. Not once. So they can be designed and manufactured properly, without changing other aspects of the car/suspension.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

I think this is good thread , this problem started since the early years of GS and Z06 right?
MMD (12-21-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)

Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Thanks for the info OP. I just bought a new GS yesterday, so I'll keep this post in mind.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a slow leak in the right rear Z06. Discount Tire fixed the leak and informed me the wheel was bent. The car was bought new and has only 2000 miles on the odo. I do not recall hitting a pothole or running over anything. I filed a complaint just now.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:40 PM
jenfioreally
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Here, read the story of forum member Jenfioreally. Her story is not that uncommon from other members on this forum in regards to their C7 wheel issues. Many of these owners are not driving over pot holes on Interstates. Read her story, you might just change your opinion about the wheel issue many are having.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-plague-2.html
Give me a few weeks and I have some information that may help some of you that have “product liability” claims.
If we don’t push for it, GM will slide it under the rug. I’m a determined person when it comes to making someone responsible for the right thing...stay tuned, I’m gonna spill my story.
The following 5 users liked this post by jenfioreally:
bjones7131 (12-22-2018), MMD (12-21-2018), Rebel Yell (12-22-2018), rogergcam (12-27-2018), timmyZ06 (12-22-2018)

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: Bent/Cracked Wheels – Reporting to NHTSA (Merged w/previous thread)