Sponsored by:

Long time lurker with a few ?'s before buying

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 04:04 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Long time lurker with a few ?'s before buying

Hi all, the wife and I are getting ready to purchase a new or nearly new C7 but we're having trouble on a few final decisions. Two major options are of course the Z06 vs GS and coupe vs convertible which I've read so many posts on here trying to make the final decision and seems you can't go wrong with either. We are buying this car to drive and enjoy, not daily but it will be driven quite often so tell me something I may not have read or thought of. First off the Z06 vs GS, myself like so many others have zero use for the extra HP but I'm also a HP junkie so it's hard for me to pass up an opportunity to have that and the wife likes the Z06 wheels much better than the GS. On the new cars we've looked at thus far it appears to be around $12K more for the Z equipped the same as the GS which is a lot but at the same time cheap for 190 ponies but we just really don't need it on the street. Secondly we're very torn on the coupe vs convertible and having a hard time finding them to test drive in our area. Having owned a C5 coupe I swore my next one would be a convertible because of the wind buffeting with the top off plus not being able to take the top off when I was traveling with luggage or golf clubs. Since owning the C5 I met my wonderful wife that unfortunately has severe allergies and exposure to the outside elements create a lot of issues for her typically in that perfect time of the year for having the top down. That alone is making us lean toward a coupe with the transparent top so that when we need to top on we still have the open view however I keep remembering how bad the C5 buffeting was without the top. We're trying to find a not extremely cold day to test drive one of each with the top down or off to compare but most dealers near us don't seem to let you test drive them unless you're ready to take it home with you that very second, is that normal? We were in Cincinnati a while back planning to buy a new ZL1 Camaro until we test drove it and didn't like it so the dealer had us drive a GS and we loved it but had no clue what we wanted in a Vette that day since we had planned on the ZL1. That dealership was great with allowing test drives but we live so far from them and they don't currently have the colors and options in stock that we're looking for. Right now we're down to either Arctic White with Adrenaline Red interior or Torch Red with Black interior and want the chrome wheels on either and 2LT or 2LZ trim options. I'd like to find one with the stage 2 aero but that's not a deal breaker since I can add it. We will most likely end up ordering a new one if we can decide on things before they stop taking order on the 19's but have to drive them to know what we like. Enough of my rambling tell me your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Contact a Chev. dealer and order a new one equipped exactly how you envision the perfect one to be for your needs.

.. You're one of the lucky ones to be able to say that you even test drove a new one. I had to buy one to drive one. I love mine. A bought new 2017 Stingray convertible, with 3LT, MSRC, M7, and FE2. I bought mine in Nov. '17 @ -20% off MSRP discount. No regrets!

​​​​​​​.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Congrats on the imminent purchase of a C7. I have the Adrenaline Red with red interior. The color just knocks people out. I have the Z06 with 2LZ package and Aero 2 set up.
Do you really need the hp? I don't know but I am too a horse power nut and love the crazy power when I want it. I think if you don't get the Z you will always have second thoughts.
I love the coupe, I think it makes the car look so exotic. I have never had my top off. Arctic White with red interior is a beautiful combination but the Adrenaline Red makes a statement IMHO.

Happy Hunting.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Get the convertible there is NOTHING like it.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

paragraph is your friend. Wall of text is very hard to read.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fogboundturtle:
lancekl (01-10-2019), ShagVette (01-04-2019), VNAMVET (01-04-2019), Woodson (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that

toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 293 Posts

I have a Z51, I drove my neighbors z-06 prior to buying it. I lke high HP cars but teh z06 is wasted on the street any moderate application of throttle is going to get you in trouble. The regular stingray is almost to much. The GS does reportedly offer better handling compared to the Z 51 again for me wasted on regular roads. Get the GS for the looks and braging rights. If your flush with money or just have to have it get the Z-06. I love my convertable second one for me. I think the coupes look great but don't compare taking the roof off to putting the top down different animal. Wife and I did a trip to tail of the dragon four hours or so stayed over for a few night and went to Ashville. Great touring care the luggage room is adequte without removing the divider so you can still put the top down, if you forgo that you double the luggage space
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I was in a similar situation trying to decide on getting a coupe or convertible. The coupe trunk is a bit bigger so we went with it. In hindsight part of me wishes I’d went Convertible. However the Z06 was a no brainer for me. I’d rather have the power and not need it. You can feel the extra power at every light and when passing. The GS wouldn’t have cut it for me.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:01 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I was originally looking at a GS but found a lightly used Z06 for less money than a new GS so that's the route I went. 2LZ, Artic White, Red Interior. Real eye catcher. If you can afford the Z go for it. You won't be disappointed.

In the end I am happy I was able to find this because I wasn't crazy about getting only 460 HP in my "fun" summer car since I'm pushing 500 HP in my daily driver.

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
A bought new 2017 Stingray convertible, with 3LT, MSRC, M7, and FE2. I bought mine in Nov. '17 @ -20% off MSRP discount. No regrets!
​​​​​
That's nice. Do you ever get tired of typing that into every ******* thread on this subforum, regardless of how relevant it is? Or do you have a text file saved on your computer so you can just copy and paste it. OP DNGAF about your Stingray. He's shopping for a GS or a Z06.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
Get the convertible there is NOTHING like it.
I absolutely love my C7 convertible. I think it has literally opened up the World in driving a new Corvette too !!

..The OP mentioned that too in his post. But then addressed their particular challenges to the pollen. A C7 is a win, regardless. He's been fortunate to have driven one too. 👍

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-04-2019 at 07:15 PM.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 PM
manfrand
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was also trying to decide between the GS or the Z06. I couldn't see not spending the extra money for the Z06. It's the best bang for your buck. No regrets. I would suggest buying from a dealer who is very knowledgeable in Corvettes. Kerbeck, Macmulkin, Criswell or Coughlin to name a few. They know all the options and can suggest color combinations and what is worth spending your money on. Whatever you go with, enjoy it!!!
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I went w a Z06 from Kerbeck , ragtop M7. No brainer.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by manfrand
I was also trying to decide between the GS or the Z06. I couldn't see not spending the extra money for the Z06. It's the best bang for your buck. No regrets. I would suggest buying from a dealer who is very knowledgeable in Corvettes. Kerbeck, Macmulkin, Criswell or Coughlin to name a few. They know all the options and can suggest color combinations and what is worth spending your money on. Whatever you go with, enjoy it!!!
I have no doubt I’ll always wish I’d got the Z06 if I don’t but the GS we drove was very impressive compared to my C5 and the GS we drove was a twin to your car color combo and it just looks awesome together. It was a M7 or it wouldn’t probably came home with us, we need the auto so the wife can enjoy it some as well. The crazy part is I literally live 30 minutes from the assembly plant and drive past it twice a Day commuting to and from my office but I have to drive a minimum of 1.5 hours to see any kind of selection of corvettes at a dealership.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Wives can be wonderful at times but when they get in the way of getting a convertible C7, they have outlasted their usefulness....

Seriously, if you can, nothing beats a convertible for a fun car. Get the Z06 and you will never have buyers remorse.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:11 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Wives can be wonderful at times but when they get in the way of getting a convertible C7, they have outlasted their usefulness....

Seriously, if you can, nothing beats a convertible for a fun car. Get the Z06 and you will never have buyers remorse.
This !!!
Old 01-05-2019, 08:36 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

To answer your questions directly. If you are a HP junkie then you must get the Z06. Otherwise someday after you buy less you'll regret it. Ask me how I know. The buffeting is horrible in the coupe. After getting up to 45 mph it'll try to pull your hair out and take your head off. God awful loud to boot. The convertible not so. The Convertible is significantly quieter with the top down or up.
I unfortunately had to go with a coupe because of the limited storage space in the convertible.
As far as stage 2, it looks like you can solve that. Color is of course subjective. Good luck!

Last edited by joemessman; 01-05-2019 at 08:37 AM.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Frankb10
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Convertible

If you are going to own a sports car, A convertible is the way to go...IMO

2016 Z51. 2lt. M7

2006. Z51 2lt. M6. Museum delivery
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Long time lurker with a few ?'s before buying

Old 01-05-2019, 10:16 AM
NickMongo
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Multiple, brand new, 2019 GS, 2LT, M7 are for sale at MacMulkin at $63K before taxes and shipping. Best of luck with search, plenty of good options for you.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:45 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nice dilemma to be in...... I was in the same spot 2 years ago, when GM Engineering bought our '16 Stingray back due to the WARBLE issue. I seriously considered ordering a Z06, just because I could, and wanted the "bragging rights" , with friends over some beer, to the extra hp I'd likely never get to put to their full extent. I decided to go with a reality check, and ordered the GS.

While I'm not a convertible guy, I totally agree with those that have responded regarding Verts being more quiet with the top up, or down. My wife and I both can't do too much direct sun due to too many skin cancer events already. When we had our 60th Anniv 427 Vert, we used the top down in the evenings. We don't take the top out of our coupe, as the buffeting is so bad unless riding around at slow speeds. If you have intentions on tracking your car, I believe most tracks aren't too keen on allowing convertible cars without roll bars ...... I could be wrong on this though, as my data info is dated, and localized to the mid atlantic area.

If $$$ play into the equation then besides the obvious initial purchase difference, you can expect to pay more for insurance on the Z over the GS. Also, didn't notice in your post, were you going A8 or M7? Gas Guzzler tax on the A8 Z06 that isn't imposed on the GS.

We have the Arctic White with Red interior, black wheels. On the white car, I like black wheels, if I were doing Torch Red car with black interior, I'd choose CHROME wheels as it pops nicely. The chrome wheels on the white car seems to get washed out.

Last edited by Strake; 01-05-2019 at 11:07 AM.
toddhale010 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:47 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I went with GS. Insurance and taxes for the Z are high in my state. Don't like the drop top but just my opinion. Never seen one that didn't leak or have wind noise of some degree especially with age. I know the newer ones are better about that but still ...... As others said no where U can use 650 HP without risking loosing license and fines and then higher ins. U can get into enough trouble with 460 HP. I did not like the GS wheels either so I put on a set of C7 Z chrome and love it. Good luck with purchase.

Quick Reply: Long time lurker with a few ?'s before buying