Sponsored by:

Why all the rants about too much power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:48 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull
I know exactly how much power is enough...

answer: A little bit more!

I love big HP cars, and this thread makes me miss my ZL1 1LE a little LOL....
/thread.

Money or horsepower, we all want just a little bit more (than the next guy).
Old 01-11-2019, 07:33 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBaroness
And the GS is a fantastic car and if I'd bought earlier in the year it would have been what I selected but waiting for ELBM my budget allowance went up! But out of the time I've had my Z and the now nearly 2,000 miles I've put on it...averaging only about 18mpg most tanks with me having fun and then cruising on the highway, I've only had it get loose a VERY few times. First time was in second and just flat out punched it at about 40mph. Cool day and although I'd been driving a while, the road there is old, smooth from heavy traffic but dry. Momentary traction control, could feel it get a touch loose and then it was over....I was moving ahead. On the track in the damp at VIR Charity laps...I did manage to get another one of those, temps in the low 40s as well with the MPSS tires and in Wet mode. In the wet with similar temps...I did get it to step out some in Wet mode on the street...but that was punching it a bit harder than I probably should have for conditions. Once I have good heat in the MPSS tires though, I couldn't easily get them to lose traction even in sport mode at VIR coming out of Oak Tree and getting the gas down very quickly...although not just flat stomping it which just has never been my technique. The AS3+ tires didn't have any issues at all either. Maybe it's because after driving a bit of a temperamental turbo car my foot is tuned to press the gas pedal a bit differently? Instead of just hammering it I apply it fully, yet quickly as an application. I haven't tried power shifting it, first to second in launch control or anything though... Maybe the updated ride software is a bit better for softening for harder acceleration and giving a bit better weight transfer or something. It runs great and my quick measurements of acceleration were very similar to other videos, so it's running full power so that thought did come to mind, but I drove a couple of other Z06s both auto and manual and this one accelerates the same way. Honestly the way people talked at times, I expected it to be like driving around on ice...and it's been just the opposite. Sure, if I want to I can make it...I've proven that a few times, but in general it's just massively competent for that torque and power.
The main reason you feel like you can handle all that power is because of all the torque management built in and the PTM doing its thing. When you go WOT, the throttle body does not. Tuning the torque management out will create an animal that will kill you.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:56 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

No such thing as to much power. When did we get a bunch snowflakes on here God please ban the pansies.
z51vett
Doug
Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
No such thing as to much power. When did we get a bunch snowflakes on here God please ban the pansies.
z51vett
Doug
Here ya go. Why don't you daily drive this around town then?

The following 2 users liked this post by MMD:
dvilin (01-12-2019), joemessman (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:38 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Witty, but not legal to drive as a DD unless you live on a track
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Too much is never enough imo. Adding a SC to my Z51 soon
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sTz
Witty, but not legal to drive as a DD unless you live on a track

You can get it detuned to 3-4000HP, put on some headlights, turn signals. No problem. But think of all the horsepower you will have! Some here believe that you can never have enough power so here you go then. Isn't 9,000 HP not enough? Somebody indicated you're a ***** if you don't want a lot of horsepower. So then, is that guy a ***** too if he doesn't want to daily drive this around town? Simply amazing reading some of the bonehead arguments here in this thread. Too many Fast and Furious wannabes I can only guess.

Last edited by MMD; 01-11-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:56 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 671 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
You just went full potato Don't do that.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FLEXjs
You just went full potato Don't do that.
I'm justing using logic expressed in this thread. If 755 HP good, then isn't 9,000 HP better? Prove that I'm wrong.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 671 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
I'm justing using logic expressed in this thread. If 755 HP good, then isn't 9,000 HP better? Prove that I'm wrong.
Nah.....I'm out.....

Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,435 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

You can get it detuned to 3-4000HP, put on some headlights, turn signals. No problem. But think of all the horsepower you will have! Some here believe that you can never have enough power so here you go then. Isn't 9,000 HP not enough? Somebody indicated you're a ***** if you don't want a lot of horsepower. So then, is that guy a ***** too if he doesn't want to daily drive this around town? Simply amazing reading some of the bonehead arguments here in this thread. Too many Fast and Furious wannabes I can only guess.
You would need more than detuning, headlights, and turn signals... I agree, the arguments here are amazing.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sTz

You would need more than detuning, headlights, and turn signals... I agree, the arguments here are amazing.
Anyone that can engineer a 9,000 HP monster as shown can certainly detune it and adopt this to say a street legal 2,000 HP street beast. No big deal. More power...that's all that is important right? Just think how fast it could make it down to the next traffic light! Besides, you wouldn't be like those pansies that drive only 755 HP right?
Old 01-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
As a guy who currently OWNS a 18 z06 2lz auto I have to admit the rants are true AF. I cant floor the gas pedal anytime unless I am well over 50mph here in hot south florida simply because it doesn't stick. Look at the 0-60 and drag strip times between the zr1 and the z06. Not much different. Instead of putting in more and more horsepower these manufacturers need to focus on AWD, Mid Engine and stickier tires. The truth is right here. Video starts at 2:50. Yes I know someone will post the Huracan costs way more but guess what. The Rice Cooking Nissan GTR kicks the z06/zr1 just as bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OLQclUav-M&t=260s
I watch Drag Times from time to time & I've seen that video before. Each time I think it's sad that the ZR1 looks like it's in reverse in the first race or at least tied to the guardrail. Not only can't C7s effectively use the power they have in stock form but they're also too heavy for sports cars. Just think how badly a Z06 would have gotten smoked in that race. If another car pulls alongside & tries to challenge me I just ignore them. I don't bother to mess with anyone because odds are they'll pull away from me & leave me in the dust looking at their taillights. If I could afford a McLaren, Huracan etc...that's what would be parked in the driveway instead of a slow Z06 (mine is extra slow since it's an M7).

Hopefully, the C8 with a DCT will correct all of the C7 shortcomings.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I watch Drag Times from time to time & I've seen that video before. Each time I think it's sad that the ZR1 looks like it's in reverse in the first race or at least tied to the guardrail. Not only can't C7s effectively use the power they have in stock form but they're also too heavy for sports cars. Just think how badly a Z06 would have gotten smoked in that race. If another car pulls alongside & tries to challenge me I just ignore them. I don't bother to mess with anyone because odds are they'll pull away from me & leave me in the dust looking at their taillights. If I could afford a McLaren, Huracan etc...that's what would be parked in the driveway instead of a slow Z06 (mine is extra slow since it's an M7).

At least you look good!
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joemessman
At least you look good!
I don't know how good I look anymore, age is starting to take its toll. But at least the car looks good.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 01-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:24 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Good thing many of us didn’t buy a C7 for the dragsttip. It’s actually built for the curves 🙄
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saleen556

Good thing many of us didn’t buy a C7 for the dragsttip. It’s actually built for the curves 🙄
That's one of the reasons I bought an M7 Z07 since there are plenty of twisty 2-lane country roads around here (TX hill country after all). But guess what, McLarens, Lambos etc... also go around curves just fine too & they're also fast in a straight line & from a dig.

I don't hate Vettes or otherwise I wouldn't be on my third one. But I'm also not a fanboy who will back Vettes or GM no matter what. I'm really not brand loyal when it comes to cars. I'm just a car guy. If it has an engine & 4 wheels I'm bound to like at least some aspect of it. If I had the money I'd have warehouses full of every kind of sports cars, exotic, muscle car (new & classic), trucks, etc...

It's just disappointing to see less powerful cars leave Vettes in the weeds when comparing bone stock cars (we all know anything can be modded to handle/perform better).

Get notified of new replies

To Why all the rants about too much power?

Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

That's one of the reasons I bought an M7 Z07 since there are plenty of twisty 2-lane country roads around here (TX hill country after all). But guess what, McLarens, Lambos etc... also go around curves just fine too & they're also fast in a straight line & from a dig.

I don't hate Vettes or otherwise I wouldn't be on my third one. But I'm also not a fanboy who will back Vettes or GM no matter what. I'm really not brand loyal when it comes to cars. I'm just a car guy. If it has an engine & 4 wheels I'm bound to like at least some aspect of it. If I had the money I'd have warehouses full of every kind of sports cars, exotic, muscle car (new & classic), trucks, etc...

It's just disappointing to see less powerful cars leave Vettes in the weeds when comparing bone stock cars (we all know anything can be modded to handle/perform better).
I agree the Mclaren is the better car. However in a different price range. The Z06 is the best bang for the buck. However when a Mclaren 720s is in my budget I’ll have one.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saleen556
I agree the Mclaren is the better car. However in a different price range. The Z06 is the best bang for the buck. However when a Mclaren 720s is in my budget I’ll have one.
Yeah, Z06s definitely fall in that category. Though so do Stingrays. I can't think of another 2-seat sports car in the same price range that can match the power/performance of a Stingray.

I don't think I'll ever be in the financial position to buy a car like a 720 etc....It would be nice but I don't see it happening.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:35 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by 449er
I missed the post(s) that complain about too much power
It was a post by a jealous mustang owner.

Quick Reply: Why all the rants about too much power?