Sponsored by:

Considering trading up

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 PM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Considering trading up

I ordered my A8 2LT Grand Sport because I couldn't find anything on dealer lots or in the used market that had what I wanted. I really wanted a red two tone interior as all black just looked a little dull and the two tone is a cheap option. Fast forward almost a year and I've done the Spring Mountain owners school as well as had time to think about the options in my car. I've decided if I could do it all over again I'd get the M7, Competition seats with suede inserts and steering wheel along with the PDR. I got the A8 because I never learned to drive manual and I wasn't comfortable at the time spending this much on my only vehicle and getting it in a transmission I didn't know how to use. I got the GT seats because I hadn't sat in the Competition seats and I was also getting a red interior and because you can't two tone the Competition seats it was just way to much red for me so I dismissed it them as an option entirely.

It was at Spring Mountain where I got to have a good amount of time with the comp seats, suede and PDR and realized I loved them. Now that I've had my car for almost a year I also think I should have got the M7. I still can't drive stick but I don't think learning as I go for the first few weeks would be awful and in fact could be kinda fun The A8 also just isn't as much fun in spirited driving thanks to the laggy paddles, I think I'd enjoy the M7 more in that regard. So with all this in mind I was considering my options and decided it wasn't worth doing a steering wheel and comp seat swap as I'd still be missing the PDR and M7. I decided it wasn't worth trying to trade to another Grand Sport as I'm in Canada and the options available to you in the Corvette market are terrible (which is why I factory ordered in the first place). I'd have to put up a decent chunk of coin along with my trade in to get to a Grand Sport with the options I want because there all loaded, it just doesn't seem worth it when at the end of the day its the same car. I then had a great idea, if a Grand Sport isn't worth it then why don't I go higher so that it is worth it?

I'm now considering an M7 Z06, preferably used but I also have my eyes on new 1LZ's because I've come to realize the features of the 2LT just aren't worth it to me so the added savings there make it possible to get a new 1LZ provided it only has the options I want as well as good monthly incentives. The problem with 1LZ is you lose the ability to really customize the interior. If I option comp seats in 1LZ you are forced to go black. To fix this problem I will most likely do one of the popular stitching colour mods and dye the stitching to liven up the interior as well as maybe add the carbon fiber dash. I've got the ACS stage 2 aero package on my Grand Sport so I would swap stage 1 back for the trade in and then remount stage 2 to the Z06. I'm strongly considering new because there are no used Z06's with the options I want and as such if I wanted to buy one of these used ones I'd have to spend more money to convert the seats, swap the steering wheel etc and at that point it doesn't seem worth it when a brand new one is only a few thousand more. So currently I'm keeping my eyes on the used market while I reluctantly wait for spring so it will be easier to make a choice and hopefully more car's will pop up on the market by then. I'm still not 100% sure If I want to do this but I am leaning more to yes then no at this point.

I'd be lying if learning to drive stick in a 650hp car didn't sound intimidating but since the car has rev match I think it won't be to bad. I'm actually excited at the idea of learning to drive manual. Also does anyone have a 1LZ with the comp seats and suede steering wheel that coloured there stitching? maybe added a red seat belt and a carbon fiber dash as well? I'd like to see actual pictures of that to see if I'm actually comfortable with that vs my current adrenaline red two tone interior.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:45 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

This might not help much but I was planning on ordering 2019 Grand Sport 2lt but for me it came down to numbers mostly. I was planning on having the same options with the 2lt and competition seats and having the PDR. But getting the better deal on 2019 Z06 instead of ordering a grand sport. Yes my Z is a 1LZ and I don’t think I will miss the PDR. I read up on here where there are guys that don’t think it is worth having. I never needed one before. I don’t need the heated and cool seats. Never minded it in my C5 Z06 seats. Yes I sat in the competition seats and I would like them. But I feel down the road I can find a pair used if not no big deal. My Z is M7 which I was getting no matter which car I bought. My new Z only had 4 miles on it when I bought it. Plus the awesome deal I got this over grand sport even tho most guys want at least 2 lt or 2 LZ I’m happy with my car. So not it sits in my garage with 50 miles on it waiting to break out in the spring. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:44 AM
Jeffer
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

go rent a manual transmission vehicle and the rent a second one for a week or so

then u might know better

whar happens if u do, it like it or find u suck at driving it, then u just lost another 10mgrand on top of the 10,lost to get a manual
Old 01-12-2019, 08:09 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm lucky to have a Z51 M7 trans and love it. I also have a Z06 A8 that I use only in M mode. The Z06 is a beast and is my fav of the two but I do wish the Z06 had the M7 trans. No matter what you drive its enjoyable. If you can afford to upgrade I'd go with the Z06. Its a different machine for sure.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

I have a 2019 Z06 with the M7. I test drove both the A8 and M7 and without starting another war of words on the two let me say for me it was like night and day between the driving experience it had to be the M7 for me.
The M7 is easy to drive and you should have no problem learning to drive one. As for the 1lz best deal out there you will not miss a thing.
Good luck.
Exia (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:04 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Go for the manual if you want to, in a week or two, you will be shifting without fear
GS60th#47 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I think you're reasoning makes a lot of sense (to me). You're spending your money on the Z06's engine and transmission instead of trim features. That's exactly what I'd do. And don't sweat the manual. Piece of cake once it becomes second nature. And it'll be fun learning it.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 01-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Exia (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

-Front cameras
-bose with sub
-Lumbar Seats
-ventilated seats aka cooled (which they are not)

on a Z06 1 v 2LZ those are the features I need that aren't easily remedied with aftermarket.

the homelink visor is.

and if it's a GS 1 v 2LT I couldn't live without my HUD (which is standard in the Z06 on all trims)

OP. Best of luck.

Exia (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Luckily I have a few friends and coworkers with manual cars so I would look to see how comfortable I am with it before jumping ahead with a purchase. In terms of the 2LT vs 1LZ, yes I am making the downgrade due to money however after living with my 2LT I can honestly say I can live without nearly all the features. I'm not an audiophile so can live without the sub-woofer and extra speaker. I don't need memory seats as I'm the only one driving. Heated seats get used by me maybe 3x a year as I tend to keep the car on the road as long as possible before storage. The ventilated seats are really only useful on a hot day and first getting in the car. Once the cabin has acclimated to the temperature after a few minutes with the AC you don't even know they are on anymore. Thankfully all Z06's have HUD which is probably the only feature I actually use on my 2LT.

Last edited by Exia; 01-12-2019 at 11:58 AM.
dvilin (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM
PureJoy
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Exia
What do you guys think?
1/ I wish l had the money to have to make such difficult decisions.

2/ Go with your heart & your gut feeling, after all, it'll be nothing that money can't make better again!

PS, l'm NOT being sarcastic this time either!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:26 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Coke or pepsi. You get what you want not what others think you should get!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:50 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I would order a new 2019 ZO6, 2LZ, M7, with any extra options added, to make it perfect for my tastes. I'd order the convertible, but that is up to you.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 AM
ArchitectMike
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with Jeffer, and what you're suggesting in post #9. Go drive a manual transmission for a good long while and make sure you like it. FWIW, I learned to drive in my high school's Caprice (automatic). Later that summer, my Uncle taught me how to drive a manual, in his 1964 Beetle. Easy peasy after a day or two. Then he introduced me to his manual Pontiac with a 400 c.i. V8. Not nearly as easy and I didn't get used to it as quickly. But that was nearly 50 years ago and I've always had a manual transmission car in the driveway, ever since.

Then consider where/when you'll drive your new Vette. Weekend drives and longer trips are a blast. Daily commutes in stop and go traffic, less so. I've altered my commute to leave earlier in the morning and return home later at night, so I avoid congestion.

It'll be interesting to learn how well you make out with a 650hp car. Keep us posted.
Exia (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ArchitectMike
I agree with Jeffer, and what you're suggesting in post #9. Go drive a manual transmission for a good long while and make sure you like it. FWIW, I learned to drive in my high school's Caprice (automatic). Later that summer, my Uncle taught me how to drive a manual, in his 1964 Beetle. Easy peasy after a day or two. Then he introduced me to his manual Pontiac with a 400 c.i. V8. Not nearly as easy and I didn't get used to it as quickly. But that was nearly 50 years ago and I've always had a manual transmission car in the driveway, ever since.

Then consider where/when you'll drive your new Vette. Weekend drives and longer trips are a blast. Daily commutes in stop and go traffic, less so. I've altered my commute to leave earlier in the morning and return home later at night, so I avoid congestion.

It'll be interesting to learn how well you make out with a 650hp car. Keep us posted.
The car would not be driven in daily commutes. Work is fairly close and parking is terrible so I just take the bus. That being said it would be my only vehicle (just like my GS is now) so it would still be driven often enough for shopping,puttering around town, trips etc. I don't anticipate much stop and go driving other then the occasional highway pileup 3x a year.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:23 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

I have the 2019 Z06 M7 rag top and love it. There are a lot of reasons why those of us that have a stick are so committed to it but you should find out for yourself if you are one of those people. Many of us would never own a Vette or any other sports car without a stick but that is becoming a tough proposition with so many sports cars giving up on manual transmissions for PDK styles. Now would be a good time to buy the M7 if you determine that you like a stick. Who knows if the C8 will even offer one.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Get the Z in the 1LZ if budget is an issue. I'd rather have a 1LZ Z, then a 3LT GS. The driving experience is totally different and the low end torque is Amazing!! What a Beast The only thing I would miss is the front parking cameras when pulling up to something. I love being able to see everything when pulling up in my garage parking space etc. Good luck with your decision and like said you'll get the hang of the stick just takes a little practice and patience. My manual shifts like butter and the clutch is smooth as silk.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Congrats. I also strongly considered getting the Torch Red/Jet Black, suede inserts with red stitching combo but went with Arctic White/Adrenaline Red combo. I also bought a M7 with the Competition Seats. You are going to enjoy the M7 a lot! Consider the MGW Short-Throw shifter as well as it helps makes the shifts even smoother.

As to the roof, I did the body color where I added a custom Shark Gray stripe, but on the transparent roof, I had the body shop paint the side pillars Arctic White and then clear over the entire top with a tint coat. It came out great and also took a little more glare out of the cockpit.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering trading up

Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 415 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Congrats. I also strongly considered getting the Torch Red/Jet Black, suede inserts with red stitching combo but went with Arctic White/Adrenaline Red combo. I also bought a M7 with the Competition Seats. You are going to enjoy the M7 a lot! Consider the MGW Short-Throw shifter as well as it helps makes the shifts even smoother.

As to the roof, I did the body color where I added a custom Shark Gray stripe, but on the transparent roof, I had the body shop paint the side pillars Arctic White and then clear over the entire top with a tint coat. It came out great and also took a little more glare out of the cockpit.

That c color combo is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
MSG C5 (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
I would order a new 2019 ZO6, 2LZ, M7, with any extra options added, to make it perfect for my tastes. I'd order the convertible, but that is up to you.
Is it possible to ORDER a 2019 ZO6 that is not new?
Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Get the manual before they go the way of the dodo bird - I am trading my C6 A6 for a C7 M7 (awaiting delivery) - if I give a really hard thought as to what caused me to trade in after 12 years, it is probably the fear that I might not be able to buy a brand new manual Corvette in the future if all rumours hold true. If my C6 was manual I might have not traded in.

Quick Reply: Considering trading up