Sponsored by:

Used car experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:21 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Used car experts needed

I am wondering if anyone here knows the laws pertaining to American used car dealers buying car's from Canada at auction. Then of course importing them the the US to sell.

Main question.....If a car has had significant damage ( water or fire) or been involved in a accident or multiple accidents ....and if it has been documented on the canadian car fax can it be somehow NOT transferred to the American title or car fax when imported?

In other words can a auction bought Canadian car's title and history be doctored when being transferred to the US?

Old 01-12-2019, 04:57 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,217 Likes on 3,459 Posts

With all the domestic cars available, why bother with the imported one? IF it sounds too good to be true... well, you know.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM
TorchZ51
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts

I came across 2 different C7s from Quebec the last time I was in the market. They were at different dealerships 100s of miles apart. So that seemed a bit odd to me. I’m not sure if the car history would be accurate coming from another country. But I just wasn’t comfortable with it. You will also notice that the non configurable gauges in Canadian cars are slightly different.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TorchZ51
I came across 2 different C7s from Quebec the last time I was in the market. They were at different dealerships 100s of miles apart. So that seemed a bit odd to me. I’m not sure if the car history would be accurate coming from another country. But I just wasn’t comfortable with it. You will also notice that the non configurable gauges in Canadian cars are slightly different.

There is a lot near me that sells higher end "luxury" just off lease cars, most of the cars are from canada is seems. They did have a C7 however i wasn't there to look at it, i was checking out a different car.

A couple cars i looked in did have the km gauge's ....they said if I want they will have it changed to MPH at no extra cost.

I dunno....its hard enough buying a used car let alone one that has crossed the border and even more potential for title issues or whatever.

Was just hoping to hear from one of the ex ( or current ) car dealer guys here.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:03 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I am not going to claim being an expert but I did spend forty-years buying and selling used cars. During those years I have seen a number of cars traded back and forth between the two countries. It is very common in border states such as Michigan, New York, etc. The title being transferred is not going to change the Carfax report found by the serial number inquiry. There is probably no less or more chicanery found than any other changes of ownership.

From time to time I have seen problems occur with the manufacturers being involved. These were normally when Canadian dealers were selling new cars back into the States as used cars and caused warranty concerns and even blocks in extreme cases. This happened with "hot" cars in short supply.

All of that said, I always stayed away from buying Canadian cars. There are just too many cars available normally without getting involved in the potential equipment problems such as the afore-mentioned kilometer speedos. I would seriously question there being any large monetary advantage unless there was a problem yet to be discovered.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
65fastback (01-13-2019), CorvetteBrent (10-10-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,956 Likes on 942 Posts

When i was selling my C4 last year, I had a very nice Canadian buyer, who was ready to pull the trigger. But when he and I looked at all the fees involved in getting the car over the border, it made the deal too expensive for both parties. Also the Canadian government wanted me to sign a document claiming the sale of the vehicle as INCOME that would be reported to the US IRS... That was the nail that sealed the coffin for me.

As others have stated - you are adding additional costs and headaches buy going this route...too many for sale here in the US to even bother with this...just my .02 cents.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (10-10-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:43 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

I was reading google reviews of this place and i found a review that was NOT GOOD. This was the inspiration for my original post.

This is the review ( i copy pasted it )

UPDATE: Turns out the leaks we had in the vehicle were actually due to the fact that the vehicle had been in - not ONE, not TWO but THREE car accidents totaling over $17k in damage. Dealership knew about the damage when they bought the vehicle at auction in Canada but did not disclose to us. (Even offered us a “clean” Carfax.” Tried to lie and say they didn’t know, but I was able to obtain the Canadian Carfax information and have proof they DID know. BUYER BEWARE: this dealership gets cars out of Canada. Canadaian Carfax information DOES NOT transfer to America. Transfers of titles will show but accidents will not. Ask for Canadian Carfax if you buy a vehicle from them that originates from Canada. They took the vehicle back and paid us the value of our trade in which was a given after the stunt they pulled. Money aside, my children were riding in a vehicle that had a destroyed back end. Had we been rear ended I hate to think about what could have happened. Purely shameful business practice.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
When i was selling my C4 last year, I had a very nice Canadian buyer, who was ready to pull the trigger. But when he and I looked at all the fees involved in getting the car over the border, it made the deal too expensive for both parties. Also the Canadian government wanted me to sign a document claiming the sale of the vehicle as INCOME that would be reported to the US IRS... That was the nail that sealed the coffin for me.

As others have stated - you are adding additional costs and headaches buy going this route...too many for sale here in the US to even bother with this...just my .02 cents.
I have bought many from the states with ZERO issues. Problem right now is the exchange rate. For us Canadians to buy in the states right now it just doesn’t work. The fees are minimal and if prepared it’s an easy process. The reason Canadian cars are going to the states is because of the exchange rate. Do the math...roughly 30%. I know of a broker who sends 30-50 cars per month and is making a nice profit. I don’t know of the exact laws for Americans to import but if I as looking, I would look here for sure. The savings are immense.

Most cars are configured nowadays so they can be legal in both countries (speedo switches from mph to Km, etc). As for titles mentioned by someone, we don’t have “titles” on cars.

Last edited by Vegas1500; 01-13-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 PM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me...

Last edited by Sconn; 01-13-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by 65fastback
I am wondering if anyone here knows the laws pertaining to American used car dealers buying car's from Canada at auction. Then of course importing them the the US to sell.

Main question.....If a car has had significant damage ( water or fire) or been involved in a accident or multiple accidents ....and if it has been documented on the canadian car fax can it be somehow NOT transferred to the American title or car fax when imported?

In other words can a auction bought Canadian car's title and history be doctored when being transferred to the US?
Ping theMonk he buys/sells in/out of US/canada for living.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...3-themonk.html
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me....

​​​​​​​..That sums it up nicely.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:21 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

When the guys says he would switch from KM/H to MPH at no cost I doubt he means he'll change out the entire cluster. He'll probably just change the settings, which means you'll have a 330 MPH speedo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
CorvetteBrent (10-10-2019), Woodson (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 PM
CE_Vetteboy
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I was reading google reviews of this place and i found a review that was NOT GOOD. This was the inspiration for my original post.

This is the review ( i copy pasted it )

UPDATE: Turns out the leaks we had in the vehicle were actually due to the fact that the vehicle had been in - not ONE, not TWO but THREE car accidents totaling over $17k in damage. Dealership knew about the damage when they bought the vehicle at auction in Canada but did not disclose to us. (Even offered us a “clean” Carfax.” Tried to lie and say they didn’t know, but I was able to obtain the Canadian Carfax information and have proof they DID know. BUYER BEWARE: this dealership gets cars out of Canada. Canadaian Carfax information DOES NOT transfer to America. Transfers of titles will show but accidents will not. Ask for Canadian Carfax if you buy a vehicle from them that originates from Canada. They took the vehicle back and paid us the value of our trade in which was a given after the stunt they pulled. Money aside, my children were riding in a vehicle that had a destroyed back end. Had we been rear ended I hate to think about what could have happened. Purely shameful business practice.
There's always a rash of high end cars imported here to Canada after a hurricane or other natural disaster down south. It's a major problem as most are not disclosed as damaged and the Carfax/Carproof reports are not reliable. I've imported a few classic cars and one previous Corvette without issue, but I did my own research instead of relying on Carfax.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I can tell you here in the US most of the auctions in the east are flooded with cars & trucks from Canada. Most are GM or Ford products because the factory warranty is good. Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, & Jeep have no warranty if imported from Canada to the US.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM
CE_Vetteboy
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me....

..That sums it up nicely.

Yeah,probably a good idea. We've got nothing better to do up hear than sit around in our igloos, drinking beer and maple syrup, waiting for our dogsled to warm up, all while thinking of different ways to mess with our southern neighbors. Have a good day EH!
Vegas1500 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 110 Posts

I have imported a few cars from the US to Canada and the procedure is a piece of cake. I must assume its the same the other way around. A few notes:

1) Canadian cars do not have a Title, they have an Ownership, proof of which is declared on a $20 document that is iron clad.
2) The reason I buy cars in the US is not because they are cheaper, but because the selection is increased by more then tenfold.
3) American buyers can increase their search by 10% by including Canada in the search if you are looking for something specific.
4) Especially with late model cars, Canadian and American are pretty close to identical and require no intervention to comply with each countries safety/emissions laws. There is a setting in the menus of most cars that can change your measurements to US (or Imperial or English as its sometimes referred to!).
Old 01-14-2019, 06:52 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't know about doctoring the history but it's clearly possible to bring a wrecked car from Canada to the US. I know because my 2015 SRT was wrecked here in Canada when a dude turned left in front of me and it was a total loss but some dude in NC bought it to rebuild it. He posted on another forum about it. Weird he tracked me down. But he never came back to post pics of the repaired car or what he ever did with it.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:01 PM
C5MSG2004Vert
Drifting

Received 378 Likes on 268 Posts

I've bought 2 "flood" cars. Both of them were cars that had been driven into fresh water and they sucked water into the engines. One got water in it when the person got out of the car, the other had no water inside. I put 130k miles on the one with water inside it and never had a problem related to the flood. I would be very leery of a car that had substantial water in the passenger compartment. Since most of these cars are salvage you can look them up by their VIN and find out the auction details which may include pictures of the damage before repairs. Otherwise ask the seller for the insurance report which will detail the damages. I would not buy a salvage car unless I had this information.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:07 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

Well I did the opposite 15 years ago...bought a 6-year old C5 that a Canadian used dealer here in Ontario had imported from Florida. I just sold the Vette a couple of months ago when I ordered my new C7. The C5 was a great car all those years, and for me it was a daily driver for the 8 months of the year there's no snow on the roads here. The only thing I had to do every time I started the car was to press the 'E/M' switch that took the dash readouts from the US imperial default to the metric that we use up here.

Get notified of new replies

To Used car experts needed

Quick Reply: Used car experts needed