Used car experts needed - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used car experts needed

Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 PM
  #1  
65fastback
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65fastback's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 275
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Default Used car experts needed

I am wondering if anyone here knows the laws pertaining to American used car dealers buying car's from Canada at auction. Then of course importing them the the US to sell.

Main question.....If a car has had significant damage ( water or fire) or been involved in a accident or multiple accidents ....and if it has been documented on the canadian car fax can it be somehow NOT transferred to the American title or car fax when imported?

In other words can a auction bought Canadian car's title and history be doctored when being transferred to the US?

65fastback is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM
  #2  
Avanti
CF Senior Member
 
Avanti's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Bonneville Salt Flats, 223mph Aug. '04
Posts: 5,546
Thanked 545 Times in 389 Posts
Default

With all the domestic cars available, why bother with the imported one? IF it sounds too good to be true... well, you know.
Avanti is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:27 AM
  #3  
TorchZ51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 186
Thanks: 0
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Default

I came across 2 different C7s from Quebec the last time I was in the market. They were at different dealerships 100s of miles apart. So that seemed a bit odd to me. I’m not sure if the car history would be accurate coming from another country. But I just wasn’t comfortable with it. You will also notice that the non configurable gauges in Canadian cars are slightly different.
TorchZ51 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 02:25 PM
  #4  
65fastback
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65fastback's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 275
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchZ51 View Post
I came across 2 different C7s from Quebec the last time I was in the market. They were at different dealerships 100s of miles apart. So that seemed a bit odd to me. I’m not sure if the car history would be accurate coming from another country. But I just wasn’t comfortable with it. You will also notice that the non configurable gauges in Canadian cars are slightly different.

There is a lot near me that sells higher end "luxury" just off lease cars, most of the cars are from canada is seems. They did have a C7 however i wasn't there to look at it, i was checking out a different car.

A couple cars i looked in did have the km gauge's ....they said if I want they will have it changed to MPH at no extra cost.

I dunno....its hard enough buying a used car let alone one that has crossed the border and even more potential for title issues or whatever.

Was just hoping to hear from one of the ex ( or current ) car dealer guys here.
65fastback is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM
  #5  
JALLEN4
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: DAYTON OHIO
Posts: 597
Thanked 386 Times in 181 Posts
Default

I am not going to claim being an expert but I did spend forty-years buying and selling used cars. During those years I have seen a number of cars traded back and forth between the two countries. It is very common in border states such as Michigan, New York, etc. The title being transferred is not going to change the Carfax report found by the serial number inquiry. There is probably no less or more chicanery found than any other changes of ownership.

From time to time I have seen problems occur with the manufacturers being involved. These were normally when Canadian dealers were selling new cars back into the States as used cars and caused warranty concerns and even blocks in extreme cases. This happened with "hot" cars in short supply.

All of that said, I always stayed away from buying Canadian cars. There are just too many cars available normally without getting involved in the potential equipment problems such as the afore-mentioned kilometer speedos. I would seriously question there being any large monetary advantage unless there was a problem yet to be discovered.
JALLEN4 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JALLEN4 For This Useful Post:
65fastback (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM
  #6  
Mayor111
CF Senior Member
 
Mayor111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,464
Thanked 412 Times in 271 Posts
Default

When i was selling my C4 last year, I had a very nice Canadian buyer, who was ready to pull the trigger. But when he and I looked at all the fees involved in getting the car over the border, it made the deal too expensive for both parties. Also the Canadian government wanted me to sign a document claiming the sale of the vehicle as INCOME that would be reported to the US IRS... That was the nail that sealed the coffin for me.

As others have stated - you are adding additional costs and headaches buy going this route...too many for sale here in the US to even bother with this...just my .02 cents.
Mayor111 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 03:43 PM
  #7  
65fastback
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
65fastback's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2018
Posts: 275
Thanked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Default

I was reading google reviews of this place and i found a review that was NOT GOOD. This was the inspiration for my original post.

This is the review ( i copy pasted it )


UPDATE: Turns out the leaks we had in the vehicle were actually due to the fact that the vehicle had been in - not ONE, not TWO but THREE car accidents totaling over $17k in damage. Dealership knew about the damage when they bought the vehicle at auction in Canada but did not disclose to us. (Even offered us a “clean” Carfax.” Tried to lie and say they didn’t know, but I was able to obtain the Canadian Carfax information and have proof they DID know. BUYER BEWARE: this dealership gets cars out of Canada. Canadaian Carfax information DOES NOT transfer to America. Transfers of titles will show but accidents will not. Ask for Canadian Carfax if you buy a vehicle from them that originates from Canada. They took the vehicle back and paid us the value of our trade in which was a given after the stunt they pulled. Money aside, my children were riding in a vehicle that had a destroyed back end. Had we been rear ended I hate to think about what could have happened. Purely shameful business practice.
65fastback is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 04:06 PM
  #8  
Vegas1500
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Vegas1500's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Sturgeon County Alberta
Posts: 620
Thanked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mayor111 View Post
When i was selling my C4 last year, I had a very nice Canadian buyer, who was ready to pull the trigger. But when he and I looked at all the fees involved in getting the car over the border, it made the deal too expensive for both parties. Also the Canadian government wanted me to sign a document claiming the sale of the vehicle as INCOME that would be reported to the US IRS... That was the nail that sealed the coffin for me.

As others have stated - you are adding additional costs and headaches buy going this route...too many for sale here in the US to even bother with this...just my .02 cents.
I have bought many from the states with ZERO issues. Problem right now is the exchange rate. For us Canadians to buy in the states right now it just doesn’t work. The fees are minimal and if prepared it’s an easy process. The reason Canadian cars are going to the states is because of the exchange rate. Do the math...roughly 30%. I know of a broker who sends 30-50 cars per month and is making a nice profit. I don’t know of the exact laws for Americans to import but if I as looking, I would look here for sure. The savings are immense.

Most cars are configured nowadays so they can be legal in both countries (speedo switches from mph to Km, etc). As for titles mentioned by someone, we don’t have “titles” on cars.

Last edited by Vegas1500; 01-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Vegas1500 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:14 PM
  #9  
Sconn
CF Senior Member
 
Sconn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Washington State
Posts: 814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 261 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me...

Last edited by Sconn; 01-13-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Sconn is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:22 PM
  #10  
Thunder22
CF Senior Member
 
Thunder22's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: NY/LI/NJ
Posts: 26,027
Thanked 1,001 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I am wondering if anyone here knows the laws pertaining to American used car dealers buying car's from Canada at auction. Then of course importing them the the US to sell.

Main question.....If a car has had significant damage ( water or fire) or been involved in a accident or multiple accidents ....and if it has been documented on the canadian car fax can it be somehow NOT transferred to the American title or car fax when imported?

In other words can a auction bought Canadian car's title and history be doctored when being transferred to the US?
Ping theMonk he buys/sells in/out of US/canada for living.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...3-themonk.html
Thunder22 is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 PM
  #11  
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member
 
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas - Make America Great Again!
Posts: 13,528
Thanked 963 Times in 761 Posts
Default

Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me....

​​​​​​​..That sums it up nicely.

..
Skid Row Joe is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 12:21 PM
  #12  
Maxpowers
CF Senior Member
 
Maxpowers's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,420
Thanked 561 Times in 442 Posts
Default

When the guys says he would switch from KM/H to MPH at no cost I doubt he means he'll change out the entire cluster. He'll probably just change the settings, which means you'll have a 330 MPH speedo.
Maxpowers is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Maxpowers For This Useful Post:
Woodson (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 04:56 PM
  #13  
CE_Vetteboy
CF Senior Member
 
CE_Vetteboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Ingersoll Ontario
Posts: 203
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
I was reading google reviews of this place and i found a review that was NOT GOOD. This was the inspiration for my original post.

This is the review ( i copy pasted it )


UPDATE: Turns out the leaks we had in the vehicle were actually due to the fact that the vehicle had been in - not ONE, not TWO but THREE car accidents totaling over $17k in damage. Dealership knew about the damage when they bought the vehicle at auction in Canada but did not disclose to us. (Even offered us a “clean” Carfax.” Tried to lie and say they didn’t know, but I was able to obtain the Canadian Carfax information and have proof they DID know. BUYER BEWARE: this dealership gets cars out of Canada. Canadaian Carfax information DOES NOT transfer to America. Transfers of titles will show but accidents will not. Ask for Canadian Carfax if you buy a vehicle from them that originates from Canada. They took the vehicle back and paid us the value of our trade in which was a given after the stunt they pulled. Money aside, my children were riding in a vehicle that had a destroyed back end. Had we been rear ended I hate to think about what could have happened. Purely shameful business practice.
There's always a rash of high end cars imported here to Canada after a hurricane or other natural disaster down south. It's a major problem as most are not disclosed as damaged and the Carfax/Carproof reports are not reliable. I've imported a few classic cars and one previous Corvette without issue, but I did my own research instead of relying on Carfax.
CE_Vetteboy is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 PM
  #14  
Corvette ED
CF Senior Member
 
Corvette ED's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2000
Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Posts: 7,582
Thanked 427 Times in 319 Posts
Default

I can tell you here in the US most of the auctions in the east are flooded with cars & trucks from Canada. Most are GM or Ford products because the factory warranty is good. Chrysler, Dodge, Ram, & Jeep have no warranty if imported from Canada to the US.
Corvette ED is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 05:25 PM
  #15  
CE_Vetteboy
CF Senior Member
 
CE_Vetteboy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Ingersoll Ontario
Posts: 203
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe View Post
Sounds like a place to steer clear of to me....

..That sums it up nicely.

..
Yeah,probably a good idea. We've got nothing better to do up hear than sit around in our igloos, drinking beer and maple syrup, waiting for our dogsled to warm up, all while thinking of different ways to mess with our southern neighbors. Have a good day EH!
CE_Vetteboy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to CE_Vetteboy For This Useful Post:
Vegas1500 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 PM
  #16  
eseibel67
CF Member
 
eseibel67's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Goderich ON
Posts: 94
Thanked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

I have imported a few cars from the US to Canada and the procedure is a piece of cake. I must assume its the same the other way around. A few notes:

1) Canadian cars do not have a Title, they have an Ownership, proof of which is declared on a $20 document that is iron clad.
2) The reason I buy cars in the US is not because they are cheaper, but because the selection is increased by more then tenfold.
3) American buyers can increase their search by 10% by including Canada in the search if you are looking for something specific.
4) Especially with late model cars, Canadian and American are pretty close to identical and require no intervention to comply with each countries safety/emissions laws. There is a setting in the menus of most cars that can change your measurements to US (or Imperial or English as its sometimes referred to!).
eseibel67 is offline  
Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
  #17  
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member
 
FLEXjs's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 822
Thanked 156 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
In other words can a auction bought Canadian car's title and history be doctored when being transferred to the US?
I don't know about doctoring the history but it's clearly possible to bring a wrecked car from Canada to the US. I know because my 2015 SRT was wrecked here in Canada when a dude turned left in front of me and it was a total loss but some dude in NC bought it to rebuild it. He posted on another forum about it. Weird he tracked me down. But he never came back to post pics of the repaired car or what he ever did with it.

FLEXjs is online now  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Used car experts needed


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: