Sponsored by:

Do not buy this car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Swt_86
I would be WAY more interested in finding out that the car had been tuned - which will void the GM engine warranty - than some codes and a rough idle. .
So true.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by Swt_86
I would be WAY more interested in finding out that the car had been tuned - which will void the GM engine warranty - than some codes and a rough idle. A rough idle/misfire can is usually minor quick fix - like a coil or bad wire. Some of the other codes listed could have indeed been caused by a bad battery. While I would have been disappointed with the dealer, the codes would not make me walk away from a good deal on the right car.

If it hasn't been tuned then it's likely an easy fix under warranty
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,291 Likes on 850 Posts

LMAO the only thing OP avoided was a great deal on a nice C7, especially if it was a Z51. Z51's shake and shimmy at an idle. Pending misfire code means the car had a misfire at some point but because it never had enough to set off the CEL it is just pending. Could be a lose plug wire or bad plug or even just a random misfire from sitting so long and not being run daily. Car's that do not run for a while and then start up and have a misfire or two can store that code as pending.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 01-13-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,458 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
LMAO the only thing OP avoided was a great deal on a nice C7, especially if it was a Z51. Z51's shake and shimmy at an idle. Pending misfire code means the car had a misfire at some point but because it never had enough to set off the CEL it is just pending. Could be a lose plug wire or bad plug or even just a random misfire from sitting so long and not being run daily. Car's that do not run for a while and then start up and have a misfire or two can store that code as pending.
I think his point was that the dealer CPO'd the car and then went Sgt. Schultz on him when they found the problems, which doesn't instill much confidence or trust in the car or the dealer.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,052 Likes on 825 Posts

OP, never mentioned an important detail.
Ever drive it again following charge to see if battery really was The problem'; or, just walk.
FWIW common as hell for Corvette batteries to be weak/dead from just sitting at a dealer. Not unusual, a'tall.
The following users liked this post:
Ih2lose (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Gary barnes 1098
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 368 Posts

I agree with pattern day. Definitely overreacting. Should of looked a bit deeper. This does not mean the car was beat!!! Omg!!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:42 AM
green2000
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

OP has the right to walk away if he is not comfortable. There are plenty others available. This one has a warranty while some others may not. With that many miles, it may have had easy highway miles. Getting more than 28,000 miles on the original tires may be an indication of lack of abuse. It may end being a good value to the next owner.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Clearly not a Z51. It is a base 1LT
Old 01-13-2019, 11:56 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 650 Posts

Sometimes that "eerie feeling" you have when buying a car that MAY or MAY NOT have a serious problem is enough to ruin the pleasure of driving it. Perhaps the problem goes away or the computer stops throwing codes -- but deep down, it may sort of haunt you or later on might make you "think" something is hinky with the car.

Maybe the OP's instincts were right - maybe they were not. He was better off 'walking' on this one, as there will be plenty of other late model Corvettes out there for sale, especially since we are in the middle of the cold season right now.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:00 PM
Dorphaus
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the input. A few replies have changed my perspective a bit. I still would not have bought this car based on the dealer's attitude but I will be more open minded about having the dealer repair issues on future cars that I look at.

I think a P0300 code is more common than I thought, but still not something I personally want to take a chance on when buying a car of this caliber.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:13 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,733 Likes on 1,831 Posts

^^^
If your gut is telling you this not your car then stick with it. Keep us posted on your progress. You won't be disappointed when you find the right one.
Rebel Yell (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:32 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112
Sometimes that "eerie feeling" you have when buying a car that MAY or MAY NOT have a serious problem is enough to ruin the pleasure of driving it. Perhaps the problem goes away or the computer stops throwing codes -- but deep down, it may sort of haunt you or later on might make you "think" something is hinky with the car.

Maybe the OP's instincts were right - maybe they were not. He was better off 'walking' on this one, as there will be plenty of other late model Corvettes out there for sale, especially since we are in the middle of the cold season right now.
Originally Posted by Maxpowers
^^^
If your gut is telling you this not your car then stick with it. Keep us posted on your progress. You won't be disappointed when you find the right one.
Good advice......agree completely.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:55 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

was this a ''real'' gm/chevy dealer''
Old 01-13-2019, 01:07 PM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
37400 out the door is a good deal for this certified car. However, it is high mileage for year, that obviously is used to determine value. I am in the looks good to me group, most codes probably from battery issue. All that said 1LT would be deal breaker for me, and probably is the reason it is sitting. Some on here will disagree but 1LT is a very tough sale.
I had my 1LT up for sale a few weeks ago, and I had lots of interest. Not only that, but the dealer that I wanted to buy my next Vette from offered me a very competitive trade in price.

I took it off the market because I decided to stick with it since the 2LT GS I was looking at didn’t seem like that much of an upgrade for the extra money.

To each his his own I guess. I wouldn’t have bought a car that was throwing codes. In my opinion, a car for sale shouldn’t be throwing codes.....unless the dealer doesn’t want to sell it.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:19 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 709 Posts

Still laughing that it took the mechanic 20 minutes and had to put the car on a lift to pull the codes.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 PM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 916 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
was this a ''real'' gm/chevy dealer''
Yes, their website shows they are multi brand group with many dealerships, domestic & foreign.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:25 PM
xWS6guy
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorphaus
Thanks for all the input. A few replies have changed my perspective a bit. I still would not have bought this car based on the dealer's attitude but I will be more open minded about having the dealer repair issues on future cars that I look at.

I think a P0300 code is more common than I thought, but still not something I personally want to take a chance on when buying a car of this caliber.
Ignore the haters. If there's something wrong with a car before you've even gotten it to your garage, why bother?

If it's a car you already own and it's an easy fix, that's great for the owner. If you're shopping and it already has problems, don't mess with it. Keep looking and get one that runs correctly out the door.
Dorphaus (01-13-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Do not buy this car!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:36 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

All here know that a weak/dead battery can cause a Corvette to go into spasms. But, if you weren't comfortable with the car you made the right decision. There's no need to buy a car, and then second guess yourself every time you take a drive. Good luck on your search.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

My guess is some reading this thread will go buy that car

Chip
Old 01-13-2019, 01:59 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I’m sure the C7 has quirks that may not be as bad as they may seem to those of us who don’t have the level of experience and insider tech knowledge that some have but I have to side with the op. In general, a CPO car is as the Lehto video says... just a used car with a slightly better warranty with NO guarantee the CPO check was done correctly if at all.

I had a very bad experience with a CPO Mercedes from a very big and “reputable” dealer so I have some first-hand experience and I no longer trust any dealer / seller. They will screw you in any way they can on any and all transactions... buyer beware on a used car there is little of no recourse against the guy selling you the car other than rescission period. You can go to the mfr but you are in a losing situation at that point.

Quick Reply: Do not buy this car!