Sponsored by:

Shipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Vrunner
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Shipping

I wanted to get thoughts on shipping a Corvette I just bought. It’s a 2014 Premier edition in Utah going to NJ. I started looking at enclosed but most shippers are weeks out. Open would be sooner. Any reccomdations on a shipping company? Thanks!

Last edited by Vrunner; 01-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are lots of threads on this subject, Search is your friend. More correctly, Advanced Search.

Cliff's Notes:

Avoid brokers, or anyone who won't guarantee that they will own the truck and trailer being used. I can't emphasize that enough!

Avoid open transport in winter. We had our C6 shipped by a broker who promised enclosed but at the last minute stuck us with the choice of Open or cancel our trip. The car arrived covered with so much frozen mud you literally couldn't tell what color it was. Using the power wand at various car washes, after a dozen washes we were still getting mud running out the drain holes in the doors. Lots of paint chips, etc. When traded months later, we were still finding mud and road sand everywhere.
During summer, open shipping might be acceptable. Just maybe.

Car transport pickup/delivery schedules make airlines look reliable. They will give you a window for pickup/delivery, it's quite possible that either or both of those times will actually be several days or a week later than specified.

If you care about the car, insist on one of the big names and enclosed. Pay lots of money. Understand that the car will be picked up and delivered when convenient for the shipping company, not for you or the guy on the other end of the deal.

Sorry for the bad news...
The following users liked this post:
Avanti (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:33 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

...also, if you live in an "inconvenient" location, such as at the end of a dead-end street or down a curvy narrow one, expect to make arrangement to deliver where convenient for the shipper. the bigger the trailer, the more so. I've shipped a number of vehicles and have used the BIG national brands and owners of a single enclosed goose-neck trailers. The issue, from my experience, is the person doing the shipping (loading-unloading/driving). I don't know how to predict and control that other than word of mouth, perhaps. All the best. (p.s. I'd drive it or have a GOOD friend I trusted do so... just saying)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:37 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I wouldn't use an open carrier this time of year. Intercity, Plycar, Reliable and Horseless Carriage are all highly rated. No brokers!

There are numerous small locally owned outfits with good reps. Call the local high end dealers and see if they know of one in your area. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
MHE-Plex (01-18-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Vrunner
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

Thanks for the info. I did call a few of the big shippers but they are 4-6 weeks out. Looks like I may just fly out and drive it back. At least I can stop to wash it if needed, just hope not to run into any snow! Lol
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Enclosed carrier only.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:02 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
Enclosed carrier only.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:02 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Well Barrett Jackson car auction is going on now and all the big car carriers are committed to that location so my guess is you will be at least 1 month out for service from any of the big carriers. I went through this last year during their BJ auction, I needed a new vette picked up in the bay area and brought to Arizona, a pretty short run and the big guys were all at least 1 month out.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:23 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,693 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Most good auto transporters are busy resulting in 2>6 weeks waits, depending on ship from/ship too routes. I would be more concerned with finding a good, reliable transporter than timing/costs. There's many threads on this subject here and many horror stores.
I've used several of the top transporters over the years and found Intercity to be the best. As others have mentioned, stay away form brokers. You want your car to stay on one truck with same driver/driver team from pickup to delivery, not jockeyed
from truck to truck, from driver to driver all over the country. I don't use open trailer as your risks go up, especially this time of year.
Good luck
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Drive it or have some one who does it for a living drive it, but make sure you read your insurance policy word for word .
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Jerrymannal
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If you check out my recent posts you will find names and contact numbers for two independent transporters, non brokers, single car enclosed carriers located in Penn. As I noted I used one of them to transport my C7 and he did a great job at a very reasonable price. Congrats on the vette and good luck with the transport.

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping

Quick Reply: Shipping