Sponsored by:

C7 Resale Values?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by toddhale010
I fully agree and happen to be trying to purchase one myself but the prices are ridiculous on the leftover cars. We can't even find a fair price on anything in stock near us, we looked at 3 different 2019's on Saturday and the best price we got was 5% off of MSRP. I keep reading how much these cars are discounted right now but I sure don't see it. I do a search daily on autotrader, cars.com, and cargurus nationwide and there's sure not any bargains on those sites.
Todd, I found the same thing when I was using those sites. I finally called Mike Furman at Criswell, and he gave me a much better price than was listed on their site. If you see one you like I suggest you give the dealer a call to see if they are serious about selling the car. I suspect they will offer a discount. Good luck on your search.
The following users liked this post:
toddhale010 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Borack
My little birdie tells me the C7 will remain in production for quite some time as the mid engine would not be affordable by most....
That was my understanding as well.

As long as they've been making C7 and discounting them, values are going nowhere but down. Don't forget, in 10 years that C7 is not just a low mileage garage queen, but a ten year-old car that wasn't driven much. It may be worth more than a comparable Malibu, but prices are still going to drop.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:10 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by yeller z06
That was my understanding as well.

As long as they've been making C7 and discounting them, values are going nowhere but down. Don't forget, in 10 years that C7 is not just a low mileage garage queen, but a ten year-old car that wasn't driven much. It may be worth more than a comparable Malibu, but prices are still going to drop.
Very true, I saved an '06 C6 for the second owner, and only got a little more for the low mileage. I haven't done that again. I just drive mine when I want to now. The enjoyment of driving the car is worth much more than the little bit of money I got for a low mileage car.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:03 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112
I doubt that anybody buying a C7 brand new (such as myself) did so as some kind of an "investment" -- especially since we all knew that the C8 has been in the works for awhile and would be released for 2020 or 2021. My 2017 is my first Corvette and I had originally intended to buy a brand new Mustang GT coupe, but realized that I would "lose" less money over five or six years of low-mileage ownership with a Corvette than with the horrible depreciation of a Mustang. Plus, the "cool factor" of a Corvette is incomparable.

Additionally, someone insisting upon a 'Vette with a manual transmission is going to have to buy a C7 - since the new C8 will be offered only with an automatic.

Maybe it is just a game of wait and see, huh?
Same here, my 2017 is also my first Corvette and I bought it instead of waiting for the C8 specifically because it was almost certain the C7 would be the last with the manual transmission.

Price depreciation would be irrelevant to me because I'll never be selling it, it's the last of the Corvettes to have 3 pedals (although officially that hasn't been confirmed but from the leaked C8 interior pics, doesn't seem there's any place for a shift lever).

Last edited by fumbling; 01-14-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM
MAKC7
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Headed in the same direction as the stock market, down.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM
Jimbob26
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

All depends. The take rate for manual transmission cars gets lower each year, and I believe the value of manual C7's will fare better as they are more rare than the automatics. Think of it - no manual 3 series BMW's any longer (except M3), no manual Ferraris, Lambos, Astons or Jags. You can still order a Porsche with manual shift,(not a high end Turbo or Turbo S) but that's pretty much it - you have to order one. Now you can still get the Mustang GT350 and Mustang GT in manual and the Camaro in manual, but if you want a Corvette, we are hearing the C8 is dual clutch auto only, the only choice is to go to a previous generation.

Just my 2 cents. I own a manual. And I don't plan on selling. I may get another sports car - maybe a C8 or a Porsche, but won't ever sell my C7. It's my baby.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,592 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
Here is something to think about...
Do you see anyone running out and paying top dollar for a C4 - C5 - C6?
The C7 is going to end up as unwanted and selling as cheaply as those cars are.
Once the baby-boomers die, no one will want the C1 - C2 - C3 either. Maybe a museum?
Cars are disposable tools. Use and replace.
A Corvette is not an investment.
There's quite a few out there who have done very well investing in Corvettes over the years. There's certainly better investments out there even for those who really know their Corvettes however in any case, certainly a LOT MORE FUN than owning stock certificates.

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
Whatever, the numbers above are for fully restored RARE models, unlike the C7's they are producing today.
No, the real $$$ is paid for the really nice original cars.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 01-14-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The C7 is so head and shoulders above the previous model (C6, ) I would look for strong resale as it continues it's state of the art superiority for quite some time to come. Be happy you bought one!!
They can’t sell new ones without discounting them 15% or more. My 2016 z51 that had an MSRP of about 71k wholesales now for about 37k.

This is a car that is coming up on 6 years old now and has changed very little in that time. A low miles 2014 z51 M7 is basically the same car as a 2019 right off the line.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:12 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
A blanket statement that no C7 will ever be worth money is just not a very bright one. The future collectible market will be interesting because of the change in propulsion systems underway. Today's cars could be worth nothing or could be worth a fortune when all you can buy is electric. Non the less, going by any historical examples, certain C7 Corvettes will be bring a lot of money long before a fifty year window.
The biggest unknown with all of today's cars is whether modern electronics will make them into a brick 15-20 years down the road - when the electronics that make them run fail (It is a when, not an if) and if no replacement parts are available, they will become valueless paperweights.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

When I bought my Corvette, I bought it to drive and enjoy. All cars are depreciating assets. (Even the cool ones) There are some cars that retain value and appreciate over time, but its hard to tell which ones will do so. Unless you are a serious collector with a warehouse for a garage, there is no point in worrying about the retained value of a vehicle purchase.

If you are concerned about value, real estate or mutual funds would be a much better place to park your money than in a Corvette.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 AM
Billy346
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
I have watched some of those Auctions. Those bidders are old as F^<K!
If you are going to quote me, quote the entire statement. Sure- Those sold high. The bidder was probably a baby-boomer who had zero cash in 1965-69 and wanted the car then.
Now he has one foot in the grave and wants to relive his youth with a decent IRA backing him. That is your generation. With only a few more years on this side of the dirt, I can understand why you would be driving a Corvette.
And/ Or wanting a C3. I like the C2-C3 Corvettes, but I would never want to own one. Once your generation dies, the value will diminish. Talk to your kids... They could give two ***** about the car you drive. The 5MPG might even **** some of them off.
The current Mexi-China C7 Corvette is kind of disappointing, I am pretty sure this is my last Corvette.
Maybe you should check out the new Supra then!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,969 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I'm not sure why this topic pops up on the forum from time to time, but maybe its wishful thinking. In the history of the Auto, the value NEVER go up unless it is a very rare car. Which a "C7" with 150,000+ copies of is not...and after the release of the next generation Corvette (aka: the C8), the rate of depreciation will increase...not decrease, flatten or go up in value. Sorry.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,592 Likes on 5,559 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
The biggest unknown with all of today's cars is whether modern electronics will make them into a brick 15-20 years down the road - when the electronics that make them run fail (It is a when, not an if) and if no replacement parts are available, they will become valueless paperweights.
One thing for sure, as long as there's a buck to be made producing/selling parts (eletronics, or other wise) there will be C7 parts readily available well into the future. There's certainly no problem getting any part you need for C1s-C2s-C3s, old Mustangs or any number of other popular old cars.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:09 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Anyone who has studied resale values of the Corvette generations, and I have, will tell you that no two generations followed the exact same depreciation/appreciation path. So it's pretty hard to predict exactly what the C7 will do. I expect depreciation to continue and that it will take a big hit when the next generation is announced. However, a lot of that depends on what's going to happen with pricing on the next generation. If the Corvette continues to be the high performance bargain that it has been, then the C7 will drop quite a bit in the next two years. If GM decides to launch a much higher priced new generation and discontinues the FE car, then, in my opinion, the C7 depreciation curve will not be as steep as previous generations. Right now, it's not possible to know because there are just too many variables.
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as cars and depreciation go hand in hand.

Quick Reply: C7 Resale Values?