Sponsored by:

A8 Flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Jpena229
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Could flushing/changing the transmission fluid be anymore complicated! There are so many steps I’m not reassured your average mechanic can’t screw it up.
Amen brother, I've already had my TC and whole transmission replaced and now I'm getting a slight shudder at about 2,000 RPM when accelerating (normal driving not wide open) Checked with one of two dealers I've used for this tranny thing and they are telling me I have to go thru the complaint / I have a problem routine, that they can't just do it. I'm going to check with the other dealer and see what they say, but like Maxie2U said, looking at the procedure I'm sure they're going to screw something up.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:18 AM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

If you had the triple flush done in the past, should you have it done again with the new tranny fluid?

Seems that this TSB makes no reference to superseding the previous one.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 AM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

^^^
You should have the triple flush done again - the new fluid with the blue banner bottle has lower moisture pickup (according to GM). The new TSB is all about the fluid composition difference, not just having 'fresh' fluid. And, according to GM, the previous versions of fluid WILL pick up moisture over time thus changing the friction properties that lead to the shudder.
The 'vette procedure in the 18-NA-355 is essentially the same as the first version of 16-NA-175 -- both call out the triple flush. (A fluid flush done by dealers to resolve the shudder problem within the last 6 months or so was very likely a single flush, which is not nearly as effective at clearing out old fluid as 3 successive fluid changes. The TSB '175 was changed to a single flush procedure along the way a few months ago.)

IMO, the fluid change procedure for vettes in the '355 TSB may be the easiest of them all in that document. It says - 'Drop pan - replace pan - fill - circulate fluid;; repeat;; then fill a 3rd time and do the check level procedure.
The check level procedure has not changed from what I can tell.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic-Chevy-Guy
If you had the triple flush done in the past, should you have it done again with the new tranny fluid?

Seems that this TSB makes no reference to superseding the previous one.
It is interesting that part of the TSB references prepping the flush machine if it currently has Dex VI fluid in it but doesn't mention the original Dex HP that was the original design/factory fill fluid for the 8L90 or the first revision of Mobil ATF that came prior to the latest version of Mobil ATF.

We complain when dealers throw parts at a car trying to fix a problem but corporate doesn't seem to be doing any better with this shudder issue after throwing multiple torque converters, different flush and fill procedures, and 3 different fluids at an issue that has been going on for 4 years now.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:46 AM
chevy corvette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

How many 2019 Z06 A8 having this shudder problem?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:56 AM
djyankees31
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

How long does it take? The dealership I use said I need to leave the Corvette all day for the PICO testing, approval, and work.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Clearly you must have complete confidence in your dealer and can trust they will actually conduct a complete 3 flush faithfully following the instructions as called out in the bulletin. It’s a very tedious process and a lazy mechanic could easy skip steps and the number of flushes. Yes, call me skeptical.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-29-2019 at 12:23 PM.
MrClean21 (04-18-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 PM
GaryPitts
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
I'll be taking mine in soon because my transmission is getting worse (rpm fluctuations, shudder) with only 10,000 miles and 1 year old....Stingray Chevrolet will be the servicing dealer.
Do we think the new fluid will help the RPM fluctuations? I've always assumed that was a bad TC. When I had my flush done over a year ago, it fixed the shudder right away, but the RPM still varied. Had to get a Range to stop that...
Old 01-29-2019, 12:50 PM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

The factory started using Mobil 1 Syn ATF on production cars on 1-23-17 according to Tadge.
This is the 'First' version of the Mobil 1 Syn ATF.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:50 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by djyankees31
How long does it take? The dealership I use said I need to leave the Corvette all day for the PICO testing, approval, and work.
My dealer told me he needed to have it for the day but it was done in 4 hours. GM makes them do the PICO test to prove it has a problem or GM may not pay for the warranty work if the dealer is audited by GM. My car had the sudder problem REAL bad so the tech only had to go for a quick ride before the pico meter showed it had the problem. I think all dealers would rather tell you all day in case they run into any problems.

Maxie2U (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 07:01 PM
tertiumquid
Burning Brakes

Received 640 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
And when the shudder comes back again, they will introduce the quadruple flush with fluid revision #4 including Colonel Sanders 11 special herbs and spices. That should put GM only a few months and a couple of flushes away from when most of the 8L90 transmissions will have their warranty flushed away

Next the voodoo revision TSB will be released requiring the tech to run around shaking chicken feathers and chanting the names of past GM CEOs while doing the flush.

My Z06 has been running with a Range module since i took delivery in March 2016 and it is shudder free.

Quick Reply: A8 Flush