Sponsored by:

A8 Flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 127 Posts

Default A8 Flush

Had the car in yesterday and the tech offered the triple flush, had zero problems, but said sure why not, warranty was paying for it. Says prep per bulletin #18-NA-355, triple flush and fill with DT-45096. This the most recent update for the famed shudder?
Old 01-22-2019, 09:53 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Really and U weren't having problems, Good for U and U must have a great dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeah, why would they offer to fix what isn't broken? So far, haven't all A8 TSB's been 'perform only if customer complains' ?
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 AM
kensredvette2
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ Definitely a great dealer.

Shudder, according now to GM info is related to the ATF picking up moisture from the air, thus changing the friction properties. GM is mum about whether the moisture has changed/damaged the friction material in the tranny. The fluid retains the moisture even if the fluid gets warm so the moisture stays in the fluid. GM info has highest priority for new fluid changes in the southeast and south where it is the warmest and presumably more humid.
The new 'blue label' LV ATF HP supposedly has a different friction package that does not pick up water from the air.
(There is a vent on all trannys to deal with the expansion/contraction with the warm/cool cycles with driving. So there is some normal air exchange in and out of the tranny.)

I say all that which is already out there from GM because..... seems to me that for ALL A8's, it is just a matter of time for moisture pickup in the ATF and shudder to occur. I have done TWO flushes on my own a couple of months ago with Mobil LV ATF HP, only to find out the fluid I put in is gonna pick up moisture too. (Bummer!!!!) So, all I did was reset the A8 'moisture shudder timer'. And any of you out there with an 'old flush'; you will need a new one!

This time around, I will see how great my dealer is, and try for a dealer flush with the 'blue label' fluid under warranty. Hopefully it's even way better than blue label scotch!!!

Last edited by kensredvette2; 01-22-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Received 243 Likes on 141 Posts

At my dealer now for new flush. 4 Vettes ahead of me.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:24 AM
Har-ray
Pro

Any feedback, good or bad, on the new flush?
Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Sixgun95, where you taking yours in for service at?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:52 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by kensredvette2

Shudder, according now to GM info is related to the ATF picking up moisture from the air, thus changing the friction properties. GM is mum about whether the moisture has changed/damaged the friction material in the tranny. The fluid retains the moisture even if the fluid gets warm so the moisture stays in the fluid. GM info has highest priority for new fluid changes in the southeast and south where it is the warmest and presumably more humid.
The new 'blue label' LV ATF HP supposedly has a different friction package that does not pick up water from the air.
(There is a vent on all trannys to deal with the expansion/contraction with the warm/cool cycles with driving. So there is some normal air exchange in and out of the tranny.)

I say all that which is already out there from GM because..... seems to me that for ALL A8's, it is just a matter of time for moisture pickup in the ATF and shudder to occur. I have done TWO flushes on my own a couple of months ago with Mobil LV ATF HP, only to find out the fluid I put in is gonna pick up moisture too. (Bummer!!!!) So, all I did was reset the A8 'moisture shudder timer'. And any of you out there with an 'old flush'; you will need a new one!

This time around, I will see how great my dealer is, and try for a dealer flush with the 'blue label' fluid under warranty. Hopefully it's even way better than blue label scotch!!!
“Shudder, according now to GM info is related to the ATF picking up moisture from the air, thus changing the friction properties”. Where did you get this info from? Source please.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:51 PM
FreeFlyFreak
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

“Shudder, according now to GM info is related to the ATF picking up moisture from the air, thus changing the friction properties”. Where did you get this info from? Source please.
I found it various places, but the original source appears to be here, a dealer forum that quotes a GM document:

https://forums.dealersedge.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11352&start=10

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 01-23-2019 at 01:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FreeFlyFreak:
kensredvette2 (01-23-2019), Maxie2U (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:05 PM
FreeFlyFreak
Heel & Toe

It appears the actual TSB is now available online if you don't mind paying $15, personally I'll wait till it hits a free site to look at it.

https://www.repairprocedures.com/bulletins/document/18na355/5181942.html
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 02:06 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
At my dealer now for new flush. 4 Vettes ahead of me.
I'll be taking mine in soon because my transmission is getting worse (rpm fluctuations, shudder) with only 10,000 miles and 1 year old....Stingray Chevrolet will be the servicing dealer.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

I am the original owner of a 15. Received it 1st week of September 2014. Had zero problems with the A8. My warranty expired this year. I have talked with my tech (Paul Korner) and basically said if it's not broke don't fix it. I have about 13,000 miles on it. I am thinking that I should do the flush while it is still under warranty. This sound right?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:09 PM
FreeFlyFreak
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Stan0324
I am the original owner of a 15. Received it 1st week of September 2014. Had zero problems with the A8. My warranty expired this year. I have talked with my tech (Paul Korner) and basically said if it's not broke don't fix it. I have about 13,000 miles on it. I am thinking that I should do the flush while it is still under warranty. This sound right?
Do you live where it is humid or dry?
Mines a 2016 8300 miles no sign of shudder but it lived most of its life in the desert.
Im going to wait to do mine a while, at least a 6 months maybe more let the rush die down, let the techs get the new procedure down and the dealers get rid of old fluid that maybe used by mistake. It has a CPO warranty till 100k 2020 though so Im not pushed for time.

Plus I doubt they would cover mine under warranty because it doesn't display the shudder, dry fluid.
Hopefully they will eventually make it a recall vs a TSB.
I will have it in at the first hint of a shudder though.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:01 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by FreeFlyFreak
I found it various places, but the original source appears to be here, a dealer forum that quotes a GM document:

https://forums.dealersedge.com/viewt...11352&start=10
Thank you for sharing!

I wonder if GM will issue a recall on the old fluid instructing the dealer to replace it with the new non-moisture absorbing fluid? But it may be the cost of replacing fluid in all C7s could be more costly than their cost to replace the torque converter and/or the transmission on cars that continue to shutter even after a fluid flush/fluid replacement.

Even if GM does not intend to issue a recall it sounds like we should as a preventative measure have the moisture absorbing fluid replaced on our own dime.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:13 PM
FreeFlyFreak
Heel & Toe

Thank you for sharing!

I wonder if GM will issue a recall on the old fluid instructing the dealer to replace it with the new non-moisture absorbing fluid? But it may be the cost of replacing fluid in all C7s could be more costly than their cost to replace the torque converter and/or the transmission on cars that continue to shutter even after a fluid flush/fluid replacement.

Even if GM does not intend to issue a recall it sounds like we should as a preventative measure have the moisture absorbing fluid replaced on our own dime.
Yeah, I am hoping for a recall too.
For now Im biding my time
2016 8300 miles car was in the desert till I got it.
At the first hint of shudder I will take it in.
If not before, on my own dime.
There is a link for the TSB online now but its $15 to look at it, and its not a pdf so I cant download it.
I did take about 20 screen shots though.

Link to $15 TSB 18-na-355 is here if anyone is interested, I am sure it will be available for free soon enough, there are different procedures for different vehicles in the TSB:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/bulletins/document/18na355/5181942.html

Last edited by FreeFlyFreak; 01-23-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:05 PM
Har-ray
Pro

Default Flush success!!!

EXCELLENT! Just got 2017 Stingray back from dealer after the new flush,transmission oil, and reprogram. The transmission is perfect. No shudder, no hard shifts. It didn’t run this well when I took delivery 38000 mi. ago. Could not be happier. Thank you GM. It’s about time.
18 na - - -

Last edited by Har-ray; 01-23-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:09 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Har-ray
EXCELLENT! Just got 2017 Stingray back from dealer after the new flush,transmission oil, and reprogram. The transmission is perfect. No shudder, no hard shifts. It didn’t run this well when I took delivery 38000 mi. ago. Could not be happier. Thank you GM. It’s about time.
18 na - - -
Great! What do you mean reprogram? Thanks

Last edited by V Vette; 01-23-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A8 Flush

Old 01-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Har-ray
Pro

They reprogram the transmission into learning mode. The computer “learns” your driving habits.
The following 2 users liked this post by Har-ray:
Maxie2U (01-23-2019), V Vette (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:47 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kensredvette2

Anyone know when the factory began filling with the new ATF?
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

So even if you replace the torque converter with an aftermarket one, you would have the possibility of the same "shudder" issue if you use the wrong fluid?

Quick Reply: A8 Flush