Sponsored by:

Recent experience with Range and battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:09 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts
Default Recent experience with Range and battery drain

Hey, just wanted to share a recent experience with I had with a Range and battery drain. I'm running Range devices in three vehicles right now, and really like the way they work. I have one in our CT6, left the country for two weeks, and the battery was dead upon our return. We've let the CT6 sit for this long a couple of times with no issue - but that was before I installed a new Range (the most current model) about 2 months ago. I thought they had the current draw issue fixed, but maybe not? It's not a C7, but I know many of us are using them in our vettes (I have one in our C7 too) so I wanted to share what I experienced. I jumped the CT6, started right up and charged well and no issues since, so I'm guessing it was almost certainly the Range. Not an issue really, as it's easy to remove it when the car will sit for a bit and just plug it back in when I'm using the car again.

Wishing you each a great rest of the week, Paul
Old 01-23-2019, 06:06 PM
KCV
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 208 Posts

How old was the CT6’s battery? I wonder if it might have died even without the Range plugged in.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:20 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV
How old was the CT6’s battery? I wonder if it might have died even without the Range plugged in.
I agree , I have left mine plugged in for weeks sitting in garage and not had any issue at all

Dave
Old 01-24-2019, 08:02 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

I have one in my 2016 Silverado and it drained my battery, too. I bought a simple switch and now instead of pulling the Range out when I leave the truck I just turn the switch off. Works great.
The following users liked this post:
Hopper12 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by C7LOU
I have one in my 2016 Silverado and it drained my battery, too. I bought a simple switch and now instead of pulling the Range out when I leave the truck I just turn the switch off. Works great.
Can you elaborate and maybe provide a photo of your "switch setup" for the Range?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:01 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
Can you elaborate and maybe provide a photo of your "switch setup" for the Range?

Thanks in advance!
This is what I used from Amazon for my 2016 Z06 when I first bought it because that earlier version of the Range would sometimes cause a communications fault at startup. I would start the vehicle and then switch the Range on but the same switched OBD II cable works well for shutting off the Range module entirely when parking for a long period of time.

Amazon Amazon
The following users liked this post:
Hopper12 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KCV
I wondered the same thing, but..............the car isn't quite 2 years old - this doesn't mean the battery couldn't go bad but.............I just got back late last night from another trip and the car sat outside at the airport in below freezing temps for 4 days and cranked right up no problem (it was in our heated garage while we were away for 2 weeks). I left the Range unplugged while away on the 4 day trip. Not entirely conclusive, but it sure points to the Range. Thanks, Paul
Old 01-24-2019, 12:50 PM
DGA3
Drifting

Received 640 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
This is what I used from Amazon for my 2016 Z06 when I first bought it because that earlier version of the Range would sometimes cause a communications fault at startup. I would start the vehicle and then switch the Range on but the same switched OBD II cable works well for shutting off the Range module entirely when parking for a long period of time.

https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Femal.../dp/B00UR5XBMW
Thanks for that link.

So having this switch is easier that just removing the device (when the car will not be used for a while)?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by DGA3
Thanks for that link.

So having this switch is easier that just removing the device (when the car will not be used for a while)?
I have mine on a switch also, and the biggest problem I have is me. Sometimes I just don't remember to turn the thing off. I like the switch because if anyone can mess up the OBD prongs, it's me.....

BTW, mine isn't a daily driver so I do keep it on life support while it's at rest. So, I can't say one way or another if the Range (new version) causes a drain on my battery.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-24-2019 at 01:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rebel Yell:
Hopper12 (01-24-2019), joemessman (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:50 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Use a switch. Less wear and tear on the OBD socket and the Range prongs.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Hopper12 (01-24-2019), Rebel Yell (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemessman
Use a switch. Less wear and tear on the OBD socket and the Range prongs.
Good point on switch made by several. For those who use a switch:
* Does it matter if you start the car first before turning the switch on?
* Does it matter if you turn the switch off prior to shutting the car off?
* In other words, does the order of any of this matter.

These questions may seem trivial, but with the electronics on these cars, and the way certain things happen at start up, I just want to check. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2019, 02:44 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I don't think order matters anymore. With the old unit, you needed to turn it on after starting the car because otherwise it might create a communications failure between the ECM and TCM locking the transmission into protective mode since it could no longer communicate with the engine to request power reduction when needed. With the current version I turn it on prior to starting the vehicle but if you wait to turn it on until after starting give the car a few seconds because there is a lot of initialization going on during the first few seconds as modules wake up and report in so I wouldn't add to the communications chatter.

I would shut it off after engine shutdown.

But I don't think you are going to run into any issues with the current version regardless of sequencing. My original version worked flawlessly as long as I turned it on after startup but with the current version it really doesn't care. Unless you won't be driving the car for several days just leave it on because parasitic drain is far less with the current version compared to the original which woke up near constantly looking for activity on the bus.
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
beaversstonehaven (01-28-2019), Hopper12 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

These questions may seem trivial, but with the electronics on these cars, and the way certain things happen at start up, I just want to check. Thanks!
In all Honesty I forget to turn mine off quite often. But I turn it off most of the time, if I can remember, just as I exit the car after the motor is turned off. I turn it on after starting the car. The times I forget to turn it off, I just start the car when it is already on. I'm a piece of work, but I have never had any issues.

Last edited by joemessman; 01-24-2019 at 04:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Hopper12 (01-24-2019), Rebel Yell (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:08 PM
pistolpete817
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Range Current Draw

I have a Range Technology V 8.6 on my 2015 C7. Using a clamp on current meter I read 18-21 mA current with the engine on or off.
Yes that will run down a well charged car battery, but it is going to take a while.
The following 5 users liked this post by pistolpete817:
beaversstonehaven (01-28-2019), Dcasole (01-24-2019), Hopper12 (01-24-2019), joemessman (01-24-2019), NSC5 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pistolpete817
I have a Range Technology V 8.6 on my 2015 C7. Using a clamp on current meter I read 18-21 mA current with the engine on or off.
Yes that will run down a well charged car battery, but it is going to take a while.
I agree , mine has never ran my battery down to the point that it would not start

Maybe those that are still having trouble with the range should reach out to them and find out if this is normal when used in a vehicle other than a Corvette , maybe it's something as simple as a software upgrade which they do for free
Dave
Old 01-24-2019, 05:22 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper12

I have turned it on, and off in all of those situations. Doesn't matter at all. I've even turned it on, and off at interstate speeds. It just did it's thing.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-24-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:32 AM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

I haven't had any problems and have gone without starting for at least 10 days.

Get notified of new replies

To Recent experience with Range and battery drain

Old 01-25-2019, 12:55 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

You mentioned yours is new but you didn't mention the version number. Might be good to verify that it actually has the current version on it for your car. When you turn the key on the LEDs flash the version number. You have to count the flashes.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:33 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mountainears
You mentioned yours is new but you didn't mention the version number. Might be good to verify that it actually has the current version on it for your car. When you turn the key on the LEDs flash the version number. You have to count the flashes.
I agree , every version up until the last version had issues with battery drain , the last version seems to have cured it . My understanding is it had to do with the Range device pinging the ECM to see if the car was running

We also can't discount the fact that there are many systems in these new cars that constantly wake up from time to time for various reasons

Gone are the good old days of shutting your car off and it's really "Shut Off" My 1970 Chevelle would sit for weeks on end and crank right up. I bet if I left my AMG sit for weeks I would have the same issue as we are discussing here but because it's my wife's daily .......

Dave
Old 01-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mountainears
Great point, and I did check it when I first got it. Correct number of flashes so I knew/know it was the latest version.

Quick Reply: Recent experience with Range and battery drain