C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a former fleet vehicle, too risky?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 08:29 PM
GShunter
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Buying a former fleet vehicle, too risky?

Hello,
I am in the market for a pre-owned GS, off late i have been coming across some reasonably priced GS M7 2019, usually with about 2-5k miles. The catch is, carfax shows that the vehicle was previously owned by GM/purchased by the dealer directly at an auction. So technically i guess the dealer becomes the first owner at whatever miles GM auctions the car.
My question is, is this worth it? There are two ways of looking at this.

Not worth: GM engineers probably beat the **** out of the car, maybe some interns learnt to drive a stick shift, maybe the executive did not even bother breaking in the car and straight up did donuts after delivery, GM tech forgot to do an oil change as mentioned in the owners manual. Some nice detailing and waxing could cover a lot of gremlins under the hood.

Yeah worth it: Its probably a marketing car/show car, probably driven by an executive who drives high performance cars on a regular basis so doesnt really beat it up like the average Joe, GM follows a stringent fleet management and does oil changes etc on time, its covered by bumper to bumper and PT warranty anyway.

What do you guys think? Take the leap of faith?
Note: the cars i found are priced about 25-30% off sticker.

Also, it will be great to hear from someone who has purchased a fleet vehicle before.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Vegas1500
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 256 Likes on 168 Posts

Unless you are saving a bunch of cash, I personally wouldn’t touch it. Lots of good used vettes out there from great owners.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:46 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It's a straight up crap shoot on which one of your descriptions you get. Myself I would be leery, but might consider one if it was a certified pre-owned, might......Good luck on your decision.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 650 Posts

I personally would not hesitate to buy it as long as the warranty could be verified that it was intact.

That said I don't know why you just wouldn't buy a new one since the deals are out there to be had and the prices for new ones are hardly much more then the used ones I see?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 477 Likes on 309 Posts

I had good luck with a rental I bought a 2008 Corvette ZHZ. it was a hertz rental ran great was in great condition and traded it for my 15. It had 133k miles on it. I traded mostly because all 4 of the magnetic shocks froze on it and they were around $3600 to replace. Just check it careful for any damage
Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

If the car was at auction, there are more downside possibilities of the history than benign... add that GM was the owner? That could be a lemon buyback. If it comes with a better warranty than a normal used car would come with (the kind that lemon buybacks get from the manufacturer) then run Forest, run!
Old 01-26-2019, 12:21 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,428 Posts

So many cream puffs out there, no reason to buy one from them. Who knows what kind of hell its been through.
dvilin (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 12:43 AM
GShunter
Instructor

I agree with a lot of good points here. I decided not to pursue the fleet vehicle. When it comes to cars, what you don't know sometimes ends up hurting you the most.
Rebel Yell (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:22 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

I purchased a 2015 2SS RS A8 Camaro Convertible 2 years ago. It was a former Hertz Rental car. When I bought it from a Chevy dealer (They purchased at auction) there was 22,000 miles on the odometer and it still had 15 months of the basic warranty left. The car was flawless. My wife drove it another 12,000 miles before we traded it and my 13 GS for the 19 GS.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by GShunter
Hello,
I am in the market for a pre-owned GS, off late i have been coming across some reasonably priced GS M7 2019, usually with about 2-5k miles. The catch is, carfax shows that the vehicle was previously owned by GM/purchased by the dealer directly at an auction. So technically i guess the dealer becomes the first owner at whatever miles GM auctions the car.
My question is, is this worth it?
Note: the cars i found are priced about 25-30% off sticker.
Hard to tell, but have a collogue who was an engineer at GM and her husband still is. Recall her son, 16 or 17 at the time, was so happy when Dad brought home a C7 he was given to drive for a few weeks! I'm sure it was treated properly. Expect these folks would break them in as defined and not trashed. BUT- who knows for sure. And frankly the car is designed to be driven aggressively so look at the tires, which with low mileage may not tell much but would expect they should look new!

One other consideration. Kerbeck has several NEW M7 Grand Sports for ~$58,000 a ~14% discount!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:58 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Most are company executives cars you have to be at a certain pay grade to drive some treat them like ****. I had one that they stood on door jam and scratched clear coat and front end had been shoved in focus brake duct lose and some misaligned parts, my second one had scratches on console and interior door pulls arm rest from jewelry and of course paint scratches.
z51vett
Doug
Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JerryU
One other consideration. Kerbeck has several NEW M7 Grand Sports for ~$58,000 a ~14% discount!
And MacMulkin is 15% but they have that $25,000 must be financed condition.

" Must finance a minimum of $25,000 through GM Financial. Administrative fees included in sale price."

Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

I would pass too many unknowns why take a gamble when there are so many other certified choices out there.
Rebel Yell (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:49 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dvilin
I would pass too many unknowns why take a gamble when there are so many other certified choices out there.
Yep. I suck at gambling.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

All of thee issues/concerns exist when you purchase any used vehicle. Some new owners carefully follow the manual. Others believe break the car in aggressively. You can get a sense of how the vehicle may have been treated by speaking with the first owner, but this is no guarantee; many sellers will tel you what you want to hear.

One of the motorcycle magazines recently broke in two bikes, one gently, one with WOT high RPM after engine warmup. Torn down the engines were essentially identical.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:01 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

First of all, if is a lemon law it has to be disclosed. This is how GM disposes of their current model year corporate cars. They sell them at auction to Chevy dealers only. No particular issues, just do your normal due diligence. That said, they are often discounted from the actual sale price by a variety of methods.
fsvoboda (01-26-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
And MacMulkin is 15% but they have that $25,000 must be financed condition.

" Must finance a minimum of $25,000 through GM Financial. Administrative fees included in sale price."
Yep, dealers make good profit from kick-back on financing!

SIDE BAR:
Manufacturers make money on financing. Have a friend who was President of TransSouth some years ago; they were owned by Ford. It you didn't qualify for Ford Financing the salesman sent you to them who charge more and they still get a "financing commission" but from TransSouth.

When TransSouth sponsored the Darlington NASCAR Race, we watched the race from the Sponsor’s Chalet as did some Ford execs. We were invited to dinner that night. At dinner the manager from Kentucky Finance was there. I asked my friend why he invited a competitor? He laughed and said they were owned by Ford as well! If you go in town and don't even qualify for TransSouth you can go across the street and may qualify for Kentucky Finance! They have less strict loan acceptance standards and CHARGE MORE! My friend did so well because his repossession costs were as low as Ford Finance, even though they had higher risk customers. They were very good at repossession!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-26-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a former fleet vehicle, too risky?

Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,892 Posts

As long as the price is right, go for it. Check the car's Carfax and GMVIS, before buying.

​​​​​​​.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 AM
GShunter
Instructor

I see a lot of people commenting that there are so many dealers our there with good discounts, and so many other pre-owned cars our there priced right.
I just wanna say, this is not the case if you are looking at something specific with certain options. Like in my case i am specifically looking for atleast a 2LT GS M7 with Competition seats. Honestly there are not many. And even the best dealers offer about 15% discount(from MSRP), thats still pricier than the pre-owned cars at the dealership which are at about 25-30% off MSRP.

As an example the car i can custom build is about 76k, with a 15% discount it comes down to like 65k. The same vehicle is about 55k pre-owned, so you save about 10K buying pre-owned compared to new. Just saying.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:24 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,011 Posts

There are truly some misinformed comments in this thread. Over several decades I have purchased thousands of factory owned vehicles including a very large number from GM. By far, there have been fewer problems with this classification than any other classification of used cars I have handled.

While there are several ways these vehicles wind up at GM sponsored auctions, most of them were assigned to high end GM salary employees. These folks are governed by a code of usage far more stringent than the average owner. They are not giving the car to the kids for Prom, some random intern to learn on, or taking them to the Friday Night Drags...not if they value their high end job!

In addition, these drivers are generally arriving at service facilities daily. Whether they are calling on dealers or working in home office, these cars are meticulously maintained with all scheduled service and kept spotless while in service. I serviced and detailed thousands of them for manufacturer employees every time they hit the door.

There are a myriad of ways cars become used cars. I have bought and sold tens of thousands of them coming from all of these originations. If it is my money buying a used vehicle, unless I personally knew the previous owner, my choice for peace of mind on a used car would be a factory owned one. I can't speak to the savings of factory owned versus new but if I could save a substantial amount on the 2500 mile one, it would be a no-brainer!
Koufax (01-27-2019)

Quick Reply: Buying a former fleet vehicle, too risky?