Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride - need it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Why? They wanted $4000+ for a bit more leather, since the actual options are the same. (and it's not even that much better leather..lol)
You're definitely not informed on the 3LT.

Please read the following by Bill Dearborn. It'll bring you up to speed...

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Actually, the price includes the NAV/PDR which is about half the $4K difference. If you buy a 2LT or Z and add the NAV/PDR option you are halfway to the 3LT or Z price anyways.

Bill
Exactly correct...👍
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Skid Row,

Did you even read the OP's question?

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

However - if you street race and road race as some do, go with MSRC. It's meant for the aggressive street & road racers...
Skid Row, the OP stated...

Originally Posted by Rockandroll
Since I used the Sport setting minimally on the 2017,

and would only use the Tour mode in the 2019,

do I really need the Mag Ride option?

Skid Row,

I know you love to tell everybody to spend the additional TEN GRAND, of their money, to buy the 3LT option, or their car will be considered substandard, but your answer above does not address the OP's question he presented.

It gets a little old my friend reading your repetitive posts regarding how without a big buck heavily loaded car the car will never be satisfactory.

Some buyers are extremely satisfied with their 1LT cars without additional unnecessary unneeded $3500 option of Mag Ride that they are seeking accurate advice on from the community. (edit: Mag Ride was $3500 in earlier year cars, now by itself is $1795)

So, to answer the OP's question, no, Mag Ride is certainly not needed on a base Stingray that has an extremely pleasant ride as intentionally designed by the superb engineers at GM for people who don't track their cars and don't street race their cars.

Enjoy the ride OP, and enjoy not spending a considerable chunk of money on an unnecessary option, you will not regret the beautiful ride of a base Stingray.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-13-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie

Some buyers are extremely satisfied with their 1LT cars without additional unnecessary unneeded $3500 option of Mag Ride that they are seeking accurate advice on from the community. So, to answer the OP's question, no, Mag Ride is certainly not needed on a base Stingray that has an extremely pleasant ride as intentionally designed by the superb engineers at GM for people who don't track their cars and don't street race their cars.Enjoy the ride OP, and enjoy not spending a considerable chunk of money on an unnecessary option, you will not regret the beautiful ride of a base Stingray..
I believe that in your zeal to criticize Skid Road (kind of a frequent theme of yours IIRC) you are downplaying the advantages of Mag Ride. I'm also one of those people who neither tracks nor street races and normally has the car in Tour Mode, unless it's a nice twisty mountain road. It was brought home to me how good Mag Ride is when I upgraded my 2017. It was like driving a completely different car. The one thing I did not like I noticed immediately upon leaving the dealer. The steering had gotten quite loose. It felt kind of like a pickup truck when you overload it and the front wheels feel like they're about to lift off the ground. Easy fix; I forced it to Sport steering and the problem disappeared.

Where I really felt a difference was getting off the ferry boat into downtown Seattle. They just replaced the seawall. They are tearing down the viaduct. They just built a huge tunnel. It's a patchwork of railroad tracks old and new, potholes, steel plates over the roadway, uneven asphalt. I would avoid it except that it is the only way to get to I-90 and points East. To "drive around" and avoid it would be an extra 100 miles. The first time I drove this piece with the upgraded Mag Ride I was astounded. Both my spouse and self said, "That really wasn't so bad this time, was it?"

So if you think a 1LT without Mag Ride is "pleasant," you will be amazed at how it rides with Mag Ride. Take both cars across some railroad tracks and you'll see what I mean. If you are satisfied without Mag Ride, meh? That's fine, but don't pretend there is no difference.

Last edited by mschuyler; 02-13-2019 at 11:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mschuyler:
fdxpilot (02-18-2019), Skid Row Joe (02-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:05 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Some buyers are extremely satisfied with their 1LT cars without additional unnecessary unneeded $3500 option of Mag Ride that they are seeking accurate advice on from the community.

The GM build and price site for the Corvette lists the mag ride as a $1795.00 option
Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Yes. It's supposed to be $300, though some dealers apparently have not got the memo.
Hmm, dealer cost is $285. GM says it should take 0.75 hours I believe. That is how the $350 typical cost is arrived at.

BUT they are independent dealers and some have said they wait over an hour+ to get the download from GM. Dealers will charge $XX/hour for a tech and often more for a C7 Tech.

Therefore the price is whatever they charge. GM does not dictate the price, ask before!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-13-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:14 AM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c54u
The GM build and price site for the Corvette lists the mag ride as a $1795.00 option
That's exactly right. The $3500 price is more misinformation. That's because in 2017 and prior years Mag Ride was bundled with the Z51 type spoiler and larger tires and rims. After 2017 they made the base Stingray with the larger tires and unbundled the spoiler from the Mag Ride. So the cost to get Mag Ride went down. I got caught in this and paid the higher earlier price. I could have gotten a 2018 cheaper. No big deal. Stuff changes. I wish I could have gotten the carbon fiber dash, but it wasn't an option on my build until 2018.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:20 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I’ve had both in a c7. And I tracked both cars.

Not that impressed with mag ride.

its nice but not a got to have.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 02-13-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

...in your zeal to criticize Skid Road (kind of a frequent theme of yours IIRC)
mschuyler, you are mistaken, no zeal, and no frequent theme.

You are also mistaken on the question asked in the by the OP. The question asked by the OP was is Mag Ride really necessary on a base Stingray. The answer is still, no, absolutely not.

Re-read the entire statement and question asked by the OP.

I've driven both back to back, and the answer is definitively still, no.

Wider tires, thinner sidewalls, stiffer shocks, stiffer sway bars, of a Z51, GS, or Z06, definitely nice to have, but on a base model Stingray Mag Ride is hardly necessary.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-13-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:15 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Please see below photo of my 2017's window sticker.
As I indicated to the OP, if they are into or practice street/track racing, they WILL, want/need MSRC, .(MagRide). Not sure where that was mistaken for by that one off topic cowboy out in the weeds, but there it is.

..If the OP, would take the steps necessary to test drive various C7s, he can make up his own mind.

..I fully intend to get the upgrade software of MSRC, done on my C7. It rides like a 1969 C3 427 in Tour at present.

That's exactly right. The $3500 price is more misinformation. That's because in 2017 and prior years Mag Ride was bundled with the Z51 type spoiler and larger tires and rims. After 2017 they made the base Stingray with the larger tires and unbundled the spoiler from the Mag Ride. So the cost to get Mag Ride went down. I got caught in this and paid the higher earlier price. I could have gotten a 2018 cheaper. No big deal. Stuff changes. I wish I could have gotten the carbon fiber dash, but it wasn't an option on my build until 2018.
I believe that in your zeal to criticize Skid Road (kind of a frequent theme of yours IIRC) you are downplaying the advantages of Mag Ride. I'm also one of those people who neither tracks nor street races and normally has the car in Tour Mode, unless it's a nice twisty mountain road. It was brought home to me how good Mag Ride is when I upgraded my 2017. It was like driving a completely different car. The one thing I did not like I noticed immediately upon leaving the dealer. The steering had gotten quite loose. It felt kind of like a pickup truck when you overload it and the front wheels feel like they're about to lift off the ground. Easy fix; I forced it to Sport steering and the problem disappeared.

Where I really felt a difference was getting off the ferry boat into downtown Seattle. They just replaced the seawall. They are tearing down the viaduct. They just built a huge tunnel. It's a patchwork of railroad tracks old and new, potholes, steel plates over the roadway, uneven asphalt. I would avoid it except that it is the only way to get to I-90 and points East. To "drive around" and avoid it would be an extra 100 miles. The first time I drove this piece with the upgraded Mag Ride I was astounded. Both my spouse and self said, "That really wasn't so bad this time, was it?"

So if you think a 1LT without Mag Ride is "pleasant," you will be amazed at how it rides with Mag Ride. Take both cars across some railroad tracks and you'll see what I mean. If you are satisfied without Mag Ride, meh? That's fine, but don't pretend there is no difference.
As stated ^^^^ it matters not which gradation MSRC,

... is optioned on....
Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

You are also mistaken on the question asked in the by the OP. The question asked by the OP was is Mag Ride really necessary on a base Stingray. The answer is still, no, absolutely not.
So because YOU don't think Mag Ride is necessary for YOU, Mag Ride is not necessary for ANYONE. For an essentially subjective issue I simply do not understand how you can make such a blanket statement for everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (02-14-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

That's exactly correct. In BOLD I respond thusly:

...Optioned out as I captioned above - the Z51 spoiler also came on my 2017 base Stingray.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-14-2019 at 09:07 PM. Reason: content accuracy.........
Old 02-13-2019, 07:45 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c54u

The GM build and price site for the Corvette lists the mag ride as a $1795 option
c54u,

You are correct. In earlier year cars Mag Ride was $3500, now $1795. Thank you, I edited my post to reflect this update.

The following users liked this post:
c54u (02-13-2019)

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride - need it or not?