Sponsored by:

What's with all the M7's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 01:01 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Leave it up to the Corvette forum to argue about pretty much anything

Manual guys are sensitive because the general public is trending to automatics. They are going away and it makes them unhappy. Its becoming a badge of honor as the manual becomes rarer. There are some real car guys that love the auto, but I bet most casual owners whom are younger couldnt even get the car moving, assists and all.

Its fine if you like Autos or Manuals. But the cool and fun factor to me is shifting myself and that feeling of connection. Until someone pays me to race my car, I dont honestly care how much faster the car is on the track.

But the original question was why there are so many manuals for sale, which is because more people who buy manuals tend to also frequent corvette forums.

Last edited by spinkick; 02-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:03 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Default I’m Out

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
Your right. But I also do it just to show the M7 drivers how foolish comments can be when discussing transmission choices.
Sorry bud but I think you are misunderstanding. M7 driver decided to not talk to me because I wasnt "pure" like he was. I talk to everyone at track days regardless of what they drive.
I’ve nothing more to say.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM
jmagilto
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Sad to see it go

My C7 is a manual.
My Cadillac Station Wagon is a Manual.
Both of my Mustangs are Manuals.

It is my preference. I can be engaged while driving.

I bought an Automatic formula Firebird in 1994 as there was some weird recall on the Manual and I could not find one. (but had to have one immediately!)
That car lasted about 2 years and gone. Never loved it. Never missed it.

I lament the passing of the stick shift car.
The other side of the coin is the stick shift Ferrari and Cadillac cars on BAT are commanding HUGE premiums. Tells me that I am not alone in my lament. .

Last edited by jmagilto; 02-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:35 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
Not sure what you mean by the term "... because race car". Is there a word or words missing here?
Common internet meme. IE: the reasons people get the M7 is because they want a race car.

I enjoy driving a manual so that's why I got my C7 equipped that way. I also got blue despite knowing its not as fast as red or yellow. Everyone will tell you red is the fastest, but I've owned both and yellow is clearly quicker Kidding aside - given all the documented problems around here with the A8 its not something I would risk. Luckily this discussion will go away when the C8 comes out as paddle shift only
Old 02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Some of is aging folks with bad knees and shoulders, But some push through that.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:34 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
Leave it up to the Corvette forum to argue about pretty much anything.
I disagree.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:35 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by patentcad
I disagree.
I see what I did there.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jmagilto
My C7 is a manual.
My Cadillac Station Wagon is a Manual.
Both of my Mustangs are Manuals.

It is my preference. I can be engaged while driving.

I bought an Automatic formula Firebird in 1994 as there was some weird recall on the Manual and I could not find one. (but had to have one immediately!)
That car lasted about 2 years and gone. Never loved it. Never missed it.

I lament the passing of the stick shift car.
The other side of the coin is the stick shift Ferrari and Cadillac cars on BAT are commanding HUGE premiums. Tells me that I am not alone in my lament. .
You are definitely not alone
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

I don't how/why such a subject is argued about so much, drive what you prefer and leave others to do the same without condemnation.
The following users liked this post:
SuperdadZ06 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

With all the assists that "manuals" have these days I would hardly call them a manual. But whatever helps you feel more manly I guess.
lol the hipsters of manual transmission.

BACK IN MY DAY, WE DIDNT HAVE SYNCHROS AND HAD TO DOUBLE CLUTCH.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

I disagree.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Interesting, I find car enthusiasts are typically so amazed with the Corvettes in general, the last thing they typically comment on is what trans one has. Surprising enough is that one of the insignificant things that gets quite a bit of attention on the mid-years
is the little chrome clips attached to the console where the seat belts attach when not in use.

In all my years of looking at midyears, i never knew there was clip there to hold the belts. Never noticed it on my dads '67 either. My mind is totally blown right now, and makes complete sense because everyone that ever takes a picture of the interior, clips the belt on the holder and why i never noticed.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

The guy not talking with because you dont drive a manual trans. Is just an *** .

A8 owners dont judge M7 owners. However when it's the other way around, M7 owners are very opinionated and feel they are more elite in some way.

I also see A8 owners going out of their way to explain why they chose it and their entire experience with manuals throughout their whole life just so they can be accepted.

I was out at a track day and parked next to a fellow C7 owner. The first thing he did, was run over and check which transmission I had because he had a M7. Not much talking was done after that. I mean cmon.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:23 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony F
In all my years of looking at midyears, i never knew there was clip there to hold the belts. Never noticed it on my dads '67 either. My mind is totally blown right now, and makes complete sense because everyone that ever takes a picture of the interior, clips the belt on the holder and why i never noticed.
In 67 the hand break mechanism went from under the dash to between the seats where it stayed for many years, so 67s didn't have the seat belt retaining clips.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:11 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I disagree.
You are wrong-there are no disagreements on this forum.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:48 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
to the guy who thought manuals were no longer manly due to assists.
Your comment reminds me of my first Vette, a 1988, where a standard shift cost exactly the same as an automatic! Some things have not changed re folks who will only buy "Slush Boxes!"

As with all 5 Vettes I have bought it was ordered made "just for me" in Bowling Green. As all my DD's in ~60 years driving it was ordered with the standard shift of the day. It was built by Doug Nash, an old "beefy" 4 speed that he added a two speed overdrive activated by a button on he top of the shift ****. The overdrive would engage in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears and the ratios were all different. My 2nd 7 speed! (Had a Dodge Colt Turbo before with a similar arrangement but two sticks to control the gear like an 18 wheeler or my 3 speed Jeep CJ5.)

After negotiating the price with the local dealer sales manager he said I'll have to ask for $2000 non-refundable down payment as I couldn't sell a standard shift around here if you decide not to take it! No issue for me although I was surprised by the statement.

When I brought the car to work, my youngest product manager, who had a '84 Vette, looked inside and said jokingly, "What too cheap to buy an automatic!" I chuckled to myself and just smiled because he would not understand that this "gear head" since I was ~13 would not drive an automatic!

PS: Will have to compromise when I buy a C8 as no 3rd pedal but at least it's an efficient spur gear DCT and won't need a radiator as big as the one to cool the engine to keep an A8 or A10 from burning up!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.
SuperdadZ06 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
In 67 the hand break mechanism went from under the dash to between the seats where it stayed for many years, so 67s didn't have the seat belt retaining clips.

Get notified of new replies

To What's with all the M7's for sale?

Old 02-13-2019, 10:33 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

You seem to labor under the profound delusion that this is a good thing.
Just stating the facts of the direction of the sports car segment in the automotive industry.

My only point was for all the M7 cry babies to get over themselves. GM is not the only sports car manufacturer moving away from the manual transmission. It's not like GM is the only company going away from a manual transmission.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:41 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony F
Anthony didn't state it but the seat belt clip is attached to side of the center armrest (angled at 45 degrees). In my picture post you can just see the seat belt at the center bottom of the photo.
patentcad (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Originally Posted by RACE U
Just stating the facts of the direction of the sports car segment in the automotive industry.

My only point was for all the M7 cry babies to get over themselves. GM is not the only sports car manufacturer moving away from the manual transmission. It's not like GM is the only company going away from a manual transmission.
I have long ago resigned myself to a depressing paddle shift future, which is why I may be driving this C7 for many years.

There's always the Porsche Cayman, but the automotive press' collective swooning over that car notwithstanding, compared to my Z51 it's rather weak sauce.
SCcues (02-17-2019)

Quick Reply: What's with all the M7's for sale?