Sponsored by:

Android Auto questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:55 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Android Auto questions

Hey guys. Need some help with Android auto. Whenever it's running and I get a text message, an alert comes up on my screen and my DIC. It also plays a notification sound over the music. The problem is once a message comes in, the car won't stop playing that notification sound every 5 seconds! Even after I clear/delete the text. I turned off text notifications from my infotainment center but they still pop up. Even if you unplug the phone completely it keeps doing it. It's driving me crazy! The only way to reset it is to shut the car off and open the driver's door to completely shut the infotainment center off. Anyone know a "fix" for this?

Last edited by LuisZ51; 02-14-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:40 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I do know this. Sometimes when this occurs it is the particular phone you have. I know with me I have an Android phone now that when I connect it to the car via USB I have to use my finger to swipe the lock screen dots to get it going. My previous Android phone was great. Just turned the car on and AA just started up automatically like I had it set to and performed accordingly.
When my wife plugs her phone in AA just starts up and goes. So we know it is phone specific and not the car causing the issue.
Check for a AA or firmware update on your phone.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:04 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

My phone also automatically starts the AA when connected to the USB. If it is the phone why does unplugging it not help? The car still keeps making the notification sound.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

do you also have your phone connected with bluetooth?

I have apple, but I have noticed that when I have it connected with bluetooth and then also plug it in for carplay, I get odd results. So I removed the bluetooth connection and only use it when plugged in to carplay with a physical cable.

The notification sounds could still be coming through via bluetooth. Just a guess. I have no idea and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
do you also have your phone connected with bluetooth?

I have apple, but I have noticed that when I have it connected with bluetooth and then also plug it in for carplay, I get odd results. So I removed the bluetooth connection and only use it when plugged in to carplay with a physical cable.

The notification sounds could still be coming through via bluetooth. Just a guess. I have no idea and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
On mine it's not possible to do without Bluetooth. When i connect the USB cable it automatically turns on the phones BT. If I turn BT off then AA goes away.. Is there another way and how? I even reset the phone and the notification sound still kept coming in.
Also, do I have to have the actual AA app installed on my phone? I have it on mine.

Last edited by LuisZ51; 02-14-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:26 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Hmmm... You write "Also, do I have to have the actual AA app installed on my phone?" to which I'd say, yes, otherwise you're not using AA. You then say "I have it on mine" which totally confuses me.

BTW the Bluetooth connection is required for the handling of phone calls. In Bluetooth, you typically have two Bluetooth profiles - one for calls and one for media. AA doesn't use the media profile, it sends media down the USB connection. As a result, you have a fuller frequency response for audio and it's louder. But in order for AA to handle phone calls it needs the Bluetooth phone profile connected.

AA can run in phone only mode. Disconnect the phone from the USB and then run the AA app on the phone. Open the menu and go to settings. You have things like Limit WiFi, which turns off WiFi when AA is connected to your car. There's a Show message notification toggle you might try.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:14 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Anyone else?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

If it were me, I'd delete AA and reinstall it from the playstore. Another thought is, just have AA read the text. That should clear the alert.

But I've never had a problem with mine.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:28 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rrsperry
If it were me, I'd delete AA and reinstall it from the playstore. Another thought is, just have AA read the text. That should clear the alert.

But I've never had a problem with mine.
I actually did uninstall and reinstall it. But now that you mention it I don't think it does it when I let AA read the text. I will try that again tonight.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

As alluded to, it's not an AA setting it is persistent notification settings on your phone. You keep hearing them because the phone is passing audio via Bluetooth. Suspect you use an app that allows repeating/persistent notifications that is set to repeat "x" number of times.

Check your text app notification settings...
Old 02-23-2019, 11:03 AM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Allen_B
As alluded to, it's not an AA setting it is persistent notification settings on your phone. You keep hearing them because the phone is passing audio via Bluetooth. Suspect you use an app that allows repeating/persistent notifications that is set to repeat "x" number of times.

Check your text app notification settings...
I use the stock Android app included with the Google pixel phones. there is no settings for persistent notifications or how many times it alerts.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:00 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LuisZ51
Hey guys. Need some help with Android auto. Whenever it's running and I get a text message, an alert comes up on my screen and my DIC. It also plays a notification sound over the music. The problem is once a message comes in, the car won't stop playing that notification sound every 5 seconds! Even after I clear/delete the text. I turned off text notifications from my infotainment center but they still pop up. Even if you unplug the phone completely it keeps doing it. It's driving me crazy! The only way to reset it is to shut the car off and open the driver's door to completely shut the infotainment center off. Anyone know a "fix" for this?
Yes, I have an iphone and never experience this, get a new phone.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:19 PM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
why oh why would you want an inferior device? (And yes, iOS is inferior, don’t get all hurt...)
Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
I would rather use messenger pigeons than buy an iOS device! Sorry not sorry
The following users liked this post:
myfunweecar (02-23-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Android Auto questions

Quick Reply: Android Auto questions