Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Wickerbill question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:59 PM
Mpphred
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grand Sport Wickerbill question

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 2019 Grand Sport factory wicker bill to the larger one. Stage 3 I think. Anyway, my friend has a brand new one he would trade me, that would work except there is no screw hole on the side of the new unit. My question is would it be OK to not have that part screwed down. It does have double sided tape and the other screws in the back. Also if not a good idea I guess I could drill a hole. If I have to drill, what is the best way to make sure I have the correct alignment. Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2019, 05:35 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Line it up and drill carefully? I mean, if the answer isn't obvious I guess I'm missing the question.

Heck, just put something (chalk, wet paint) on the body where the hole is and touch line the flap up that way.

But yes, VHB double sided tape should be fine. It's not going to fly off if the other bolts are attached, Worst case is likely that it flaps a bit.
The following users liked this post:
Mpphred (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 08:08 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

It's true that some of the non OEM versions don't have the holes drilled on the side. Be aware that, at least from one vendor I know for sure, the color (carbon flash) may not match either. With that said, I believe there are many here that have had good luck with some of the third party winglets from the more reputable vendors. The stage 3 is going to take more force than the lower one, I'd want to have the screws myself. But realistically, for normal driving, you may be ok.
Mpphred (02-21-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 11:23 PM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 568 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Careful meausuring should get you close. Personally my spoiler was off quite a bit and I enlarged the hole. I used bolts and washers from Pro Bolt so the larger hole in the spoiler is not visible. I wasn’t paying 20 bucks a bolt from GM when I could get all 10 bolts from pro bolt for 40.
If u wanna get damn specific mount one of those cheap lasers on a tripod and aim at the factory hole. Mount the spoiler using the back bolts and then mark the hole. That’s overboard but would be perfect.
Mpphred (02-21-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Mpphred
Cruising

Originally Posted by village idiot
Line it up and drill carefully? I mean, if the answer isn't obvious I guess I'm missing the question.

Heck, just put something (chalk, wet paint) on the body where the hole is and touch line the flap up that way.

But yes, VHB double sided tape should be fine. It's not going to fly off if the other bolts are attached, Worst case is likely that it flaps a bit.
Thanks, my biggest concern was getting the new drilled hole lined up with other. I put a little caulk in the hole like you said and then drilled a small hole. when I was sure it was lined up I made the hole bigger and it installed very easily. Great tip that I'll always remember. Thanks again
Old 03-13-2019, 10:11 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpphred
I have the opportunity to upgrade my 2019 Grand Sport factory wicker bill to the larger one. Stage 3 I think. Anyway, my friend has a brand new one he would trade me, that would work except there is no screw hole on the side of the new unit. My question is would it be OK to not have that part screwed down. It does have double sided tape and the other screws in the back. Also if not a good idea I guess I could drill a hole. If I have to drill, what is the best way to make sure I have the correct alignment. Thanks in advance
My aftermarket one doesn't have those screws or holes. It's fine.
Mpphred (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 11:28 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. Send pics if possible.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Mpphred
Cruising

Originally Posted by orca1946
Glad it worked out for you. Send pics if possible.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Wickerbill question

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Wickerbill question