Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires-all season non-runflat Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:32 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Tires-all season non-runflat Z06???

I’ve called all over. I can find all season run-flat but not a all season “non”-run flat tires for my new Z. I live in the mid west with cold,snow and bad streets and drive the vette all year. I hate the stock tires. There loud and ride very hard. I understand all run flat tires are noisier and ride harder because of the stiff side walls so I was trying to find a quieter and more comfortable tire that I could drive on all year. Anyone have any suggestions or know if any manufacturer might be coming out with something? Thanks
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Look at Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. They aren't "non-runflat" but they aren't "run flat" either. They are "extended mobility" which is somewhere in between.

Here's one review from a year ago:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...randsport.html
Old 02-20-2019, 07:37 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Those Alpin are winter tires. The link was from a grand sport who did have problems with traction. I had planned on getting tires I could drive on all year long. With such an aggressive thread I think I’d have a traction problem unles I change them out in summer. It looks like for now every tire option is a compromise. But I appreciate the info on this tire.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:45 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

You want the brand new PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ ZP, they are an awesome All Season tire specifically made for your car

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Coupe
The following users liked this post:
SyberSaint (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:00 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
Look at Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. They aren't "non-runflat" but they aren't "run flat" either. They are "extended mobility" which is somewhere in between.

Here's one review from a year ago:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...randsport.html
Can you drive with a flat tire on "extended mobility" tires albeit not as far?
Old 02-21-2019, 11:59 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by cowboy casey
You want the brand new PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ ZP, they are an awesome All Season tire specifically made for your car

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...oModClar=Coupe
The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ZP are run flats. I was trying to stay away from runflats because of noise and stiffness of ride.

Last edited by Bondojohn; 02-21-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:43 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

It looks like Cowboy has the best suggestion for a compromise for all season tires in the AS3+. I talked with tire rack today and they said that even though AS3+ is a run flat it is quieter and rides better than the stock Pilot Super Sport. But then he also said if you tested both tires on the same car you might not be able to tell the difference. This is very confusing. (Has anyone made a comparison of these 2 tires.) I can’t stress enough how loud these stock tires are. Also another factor in tire noise is the type of highway your on. I find that concrete highways are allot louder than paved asfault. I’ve had allot of sport cars in my life but I have never driven on tires that were as loud as these Pilot Super Sport. Sometime it’s even hard to carry on a conversation on the highway.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We live near Chicago also.
Not a GS, but we have a 2017 Z51. The stock PSS runflats get used during summer for autocross, the AS3+ runflats go on for winter.
My opinion is that I can't tell any difference in ride or noise between the two sets of tires.
OTOH, the PSS perform very nicely even in warm dry weather so they are good for a DD.
IIRC, member joemessman said he has actually driven a C7 with both the runflat and the non-runflat version of the AS3+, and couldn't tell any difference in ride or noise.

What year is your Z06? There were some updates to the mag ride software on 2017 (or maybe 2018) and earlier cars that make the ride noticeably softer with no degradation of handling.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:42 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
It looks like Cowboy has the best suggestion for a compromise for all season tires in the AS3+. I talked with tire rack today and they said that even though AS3+ is a run flat it is quieter and rides better than the stock Pilot Super Sport. But then he also said if you tested both tires on the same car you might not be able to tell the difference. This is very confusing. (Has anyone made a comparison of these 2 tires.) I can’t stress enough how loud these stock tires are. Also another factor in tire noise is the type of highway your on. I find that concrete highways are allot louder than paved asfault. I’ve had allot of sport cars in my life but I have never driven on tires that were as loud as these Pilot Super Sport. Sometime it’s even hard to carry on a conversation on the highway.
You have hit one of the problems for our cars.. They are loud and because added sound deadening adds weight GM did not put much in... Check out this thread that many have said helps immensely..

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html

http://www.exoticvette.com/

I think you are used to much more insulated cars and this may be just what you need
Old 02-22-2019, 09:53 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I too would like to change to non run flat all season. I read somewhere about the Continental tire being a good fit but can't remember if it fits our needs, non run flat all season.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Your problem talking about Continental Extreme Contact Sport. These are non runflats but there not all season and there summer only tires. Won’t solve our problem.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:22 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 455 Likes on 342 Posts

Turn the stereo up!
Old 02-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

The Pilot Sport A/S 3+ZP are run flats. I was trying to stay away from runflats because of noise and stiffness of ride.
Your understanding of today's runflats is terribly outdated, at least a decade old. The ride quality is the same, because today's ZP technology is an inner band, which only comes into play at zero pressure. The sidewalls and tread blocks are exactly the same on same versions of Michelin ZP vs. non-ZP tires. The performance is also equal. There is no downside to today's Michelin ZPs except the slightly higher price.

Put the PS AS3+ ZP on your Z06, and you'll be very happy. The noise problem is in the coupe design and construction not the tire, and no tire change is going to solve that problem. Only installation of sound deadening material will address that issue. My convertible is much quieter.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-22-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:32 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I have made a direct comparison. There is no discernible difference. The Discount Tire manager where I live had me compare. I drove the non run flat version for 150 miles and then installed the ones I wanted, which were the run flat version and couldn't tell the difference in noise, ride, handling, and traction. There is still a stigma attached to run flats that they are noisy, and rough riding. NOT SO ANYMORE! In the past, yes, but now now. I'm sure if they were tested with precision intruments that differences could be detected, but I couldn't feel, nor could my son who also did some driving on both sets. He ended up installing the run flat version on his Z06 and hasn't regretted it. I'm on my second set. Got 30,000 on the first set. And the added bonus? Could keep driving after I had no air in my tire a total of five times!
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
Foosh (02-22-2019), mbaessler (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 11:38 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I neglected to mention above that I've also done many such comparisons. My PS AS3+ set is non-runflat because the ZP version wasn't available 2+ years ago, when I purchased. I've been changing between my ZP and non-ZP sets twice a year for the last 2 years. I always drive the car back-to-back after the change. There is no discernible difference in ride quality or noise between the two sets.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

If you compare the actual dimensions of both versions of the Super Sport, they are different. Even the tread depth.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

I have a 2019 Z06. I guesse it has the update for the mag ride. But if I could find non runflats in all season I wouldn’t be upset if it rode smoother. But then there’s the noise of the stock tires that is unacceptable. I did buy a noise reduction carpeting for the hatch but haven’t had a chance to install it yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires-all season non-runflat Z06???

Old 02-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Anthony F
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

A lot of good information here, good stuff to keep in mind for the future.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 02:11 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

This is what tire rack rated MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
  1. What We Liked: Sharp steering response, best-in-test dry performance and impressive wet and light snow traction.
  2. What We'd Improve: “FIRM RIDE BOARDERS ON HARSH”
  3. Conclusion: Performs at a high level everywhere, with an emphasis on "sport."
Old 02-22-2019, 02:58 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by joemessman
i have made a direct comparison. There is no discernible difference. The discount tire manager where i live had me compare. I drove the non run flat version for 150 miles and then installed the ones i wanted, which were the run flat version and couldn't tell the difference in noise, ride, handling, and traction. There is still a stigma attached to run flats that they are noisy, and rough riding. Not so anymore! In the past, yes, but now now. I'm sure if they were tested with precision intruments that differences could be detected, but i couldn't feel, nor could my son who also did some driving on both sets. He ended up installing the run flat version on his z06 and hasn't regretted it. I'm on my second set. Got 30,000 on the first set. And the added bonus? Could keep driving after i had no air in my tire a total of five times!
very interesting!!!

Quick Reply: Tires-all season non-runflat Z06???