Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Run Flat - what do you do if...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Dez’sC7
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I took the stock run flats off at 500 miles and replaced them with non run flat a/s3s. I busted my ***** for 2 hours getting the run flats off. How I didn’t put a mark on the rims is a miracle. I won’t be putting run flats back on. Way too much work. If an air pump and sealant is factory issue in my Porsche it’s good enough for my Vette.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,285 Likes on 3,449 Posts

Originally Posted by L8ter
Foosh or anyone who cares to answer, ZP & non-ZP aside, is the Ackerman Effect diminished with the AS3’s over the PSSs? And is that what the issue was all along or just road noise in general?
If you mean the tire "jumping" at full lock when turning then, yes, it is practically eliminated with the AS3's on a Z51.
I have a coupe and would like to minimize the tire road noise.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 02-23-2019 at 07:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
L8ter (02-24-2019)
Old 02-23-2019, 08:09 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Dez’sC7
I took the stock run flats off at 500 miles and replaced them with non run flat a/s3s. I busted my ***** for 2 hours getting the run flats off. How I didn’t put a mark on the rims is a miracle. I won’t be putting run flats back on. Way too much work. If an air pump and sealant is factory issue in my Porsche it’s good enough for my Vette.
This kind of talk falls on deaf ears around here, even though its exactly right.
Worse than that, the clique of run flat lovers in this forum, will absolutely insist on removing the tire and patching it from the inside if a puncture occurs; as though every tire machine and tire shop is prepared to do this job.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 02-23-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

I shared my story and observations strictly for someone reading it to take in to consideration. There is no right or wrong answer here. Each of us has his or her own risk threshold and acts on it. I stick with run flats but choose to fly 75 year old airplanes. Many would say that’s crazy.

The great thing is that we have the choice to make and can make it as we see fit.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:54 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I don't think it's so much a risk "threshold" as it's a (perceived) risk vs. (perceived) reward situation.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,675 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
This kind of talk falls on deaf ears around here, even though its exactly right.
Worse than that, the clique of run flat lovers in this forum, will absolutely insist on removing the tire and patching it from the inside if a puncture occurs; as though every tire machine and tire shop is prepared to do this job.
It is Michelin that instructs an inside plug patch (center tread block only) is the only approved repair and required to keep the tire's speed rating and warranty intact. It's not a runflat issue, it's an all tire issue.

Exterior plugs are not accepted by any tire company on any tire as a proper repair. It is considered by all tire experts as a temporary, emergency repair. And yes, I know, I've heard anecdote after anecdote from folks about how they've had them last forever. There are also a lot of stories over the years about many of them blowing out. You can play that lottery if you like.

Regardless, I'm simply reporting tire manufacturer policy.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is Michelin that instructs an inside plug patch (center tread block only) is the only approved repair and required to keep the tire's speed rating and warranty intact. It's not a runflat issue, it's an all tire issue.

Exterior plugs are not accepted by any tire company on any tire as a proper repair. It is considered by all tire experts as a temporary, emergency repair. And yes, I know, I've heard anecdote after anecdote from folks about how they've had them last forever. There are also a lot of stories over the years about many of them blowing out. You can play that lottery if you like.

Regardless, I'm simply reporting tire manufacturer policy.
Yeah I get it, and to your credit, you at least think these sorts of things through as far as possible. Which is why you probably agree there is nothing structural about a patch, and a plug from the inside is the same as a plug from the outside, so you would be playing the lottery either way.
Regardless of all that, you cant avoid the additional difficulty associated with mounting and dismounting a run flat tire. So what happens in real life if you have a punctured run flat tire, that is repairable, but its the weekend and your nowhere near a big city tire shop that can mount and dismount a run flat tire ?
This is the point (at least partially) that Dez`sC7 was making, and I agree with.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:20 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 512 Likes on 348 Posts

Yeah I get it, and to your credit, you at least think these sorts of things through as far as possible. Which is why you probably agree there is nothing structural about a patch, and a plug from the inside is the same as a plug from the outside, so you would be playing the lottery either way.
Regardless of all that, you cant avoid the additional difficulty associated with mounting and dismounting a run flat tire. So what happens in real life if you have a punctured run flat tire, that is repairable, but its the weekend and your nowhere near a big city tire shop that can mount and dismount a run flat tire ?
This is the point (at least partially) that Dez`sC7 was making, and I agree with.
On the positive side while you and Foosh dissect details, Im out testing the new AS3+ and loving them! Better ride for sure and absolutely NO wheel chatter, that to me is worth it..I have to assume they will also last longer on tread wear. Risk=reward until I get a flat, lol!
Old 02-24-2019, 12:50 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by V Vette
On the positive side while you and Foosh dissect details, Im out testing the new AS3+ and loving them! Better ride for sure and absolutely NO wheel chatter, that to me is worth it..I have to assume they will also last longer on tread wear. Risk=reward until I get a flat, lol!
Nice !
That can only be viewed as great news !
Old 02-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I’m going Monday to buy the AS3. You guys talked me into it.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bondojohn
i’m going monday to buy the as3. You guys talked me into it.
as3 plus!!!!!
Old 02-24-2019, 01:47 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Im getting the AS3/+ non RF tires this weekend.. Best option IF you get a flat? Slime, compressor, tow, etc? Thanks
My $45/month Sprint cellphone plan also pays for my yearly AAA membership ... AAA will flatbed-tow my vehicles to Discount Tire (24/7) for free... Discount Tire will likely fix the flat for free... and then I'll go pick up my car when it is convenient to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZMMMMM:
ShagVette (02-24-2019), V Vette (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

as3 plus!!!!!
He'll get the correct tire. The AS3 is no longer available, as it was replaced by the AS3+ about 3 years ago. He'll also be purchasing the ZP version, since non-ZPs aren't available in wide-body sizes.

No, I absolutely do not agree with the part in bold above. A combo plug and patch is very much structurally more sound, because the inside patch and plug are attached, the patch is glued to the inner casing and air pressure inside the tire pushing on the patch does not allow the plug to blow out. A plug only with no inner patch can dry out, shrink, and blow out.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2019 at 02:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
JerryU (02-24-2019), V Vette (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,682 Likes on 6,669 Posts

Only way to go! Plug/Patch. All Firestone, who has fixed my flats, will use.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-24-2019 at 03:05 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerryU:
Foosh (02-24-2019), owc6 (02-24-2019), V Vette (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:22 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ZMMMMM
My $45/month Sprint cellphone plan also pays for my yearly AAA membership ... AAA will flatbed-tow my vehicles to Discount Tire (24/7) for free... Discount Tire will likely fix the flat for free... and then I'll go pick up my car when it is convenient to me.
Sure, a flatbed is a good solution if you don't mind waiting an hour or more on the side of a busy freeway when it's 10ºF with the wind blowing at 30 mph, and you've left your coat at home. I sure wouldn't want to be sitting in the car on the shoulder for that long. I'd rather just keep driving.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2019 at 03:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
ladder13 (02-25-2019), owc6 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:34 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Sure, a flatbed is a good solution if you don't mind waiting an hour or more on the side of a busy freeway when it's 10ºF with the wind blowing at 30 mph, and you've left your coat at home. I sure wouldn't want to be sitting in the car on the shoulder for that long. I'd rather just keep driving.
Thats why you need to move to warmer climate! Its only 80 here today!

Last edited by V Vette; 02-24-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:40 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

He'll get the correct tire. The AS3 is no longer available, as it was replaced by the AS3+ about 3 years ago. He'll also be purchasing the ZP version, since non-ZPs aren't available in wide-body sizes.

No, I absolutely do not agree with the part in bold above. A combo plug and patch is very much structurally more sound, because the inside patch and plug are attached, the patch is glued to the inner casing and air pressure inside the tire pushing on the patch does not allow the plug to blow out. A plug only with no inner patch can dry out, shrink, and blow out.
Ok so to clarify the context here, we are talking about a dismounted run flat tire, because that was the post you responded to, and we are assuming that one has found a tire shop who will service a run flat tire. So if I plug it from either direction, then cut it flush on the inside, buff the plug and liner, then glue a patch on it, is the structure of the tire restored ? Or is the only way to fix a run flat by using a special plug patch combination ? And if that's the case, do you think this reduces or increases the chances of getting the tire repaired in an emergency ? Because it seems to me the more you talk about these run flats, the more stipulations there are when it comes time to fix them, and not everyone lives within 30 miles of Criswell.

Get notified of new replies

To Non Run Flat - what do you do if...

Old 02-24-2019, 03:51 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

A plug is fine for an emergency, but the tire should be taken and properly plug/patched when you can get around to it.

I had a puncture on a long weekend trip ( 600 miles), and the shop was not able to dismount the tire, so it was just plugged. I completed the trip, and then took it to my tire guys later in the week where they installed a patch/ plug. Drove another 30,000 miles on that tire.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thats why you need to move to warmer climate! Its only 80 here today!
LOL . . . I sure as hell wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of a Florida freeway waiting for a flatbed with everyone either texting or DWO.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2019 at 04:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DWillys (02-25-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 04:10 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

LOL . . . I sure as hell wouldn't want to be stranded on the side of a Florida freeway waiting for a flatbed with everyone either texting or DWO.
True story, the other day a stranger went to change a tire for a stranded motorist......He got hit by a car as he was changing the tire ...died

Last edited by V Vette; 02-24-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Non Run Flat - what do you do if...